Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gardenia Walk in Roman Showers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gardenia-walk-roman-showers-35095/)

jchase 01-12-2011 09:22 AM

Gardenia Walk in Roman Showers

We are planning on building a Gardenia and would like input as to the pros/cons of a Roman walk in shower. We know that it takes away space from the linen closet and wall space. Are they drafty during colder weather? Any opinions/suggestions?

Kelsie52 01-12-2011 09:44 AM

We have a Begonia which is exactly the same as the Gardinia except for the front window in the kitchen ..We have the walk in Shower on an outside wall

It is great --no drafts so far (only been here since Oct) and the bathroom is more than spacious enough --we love it

good luck

Tom Hannon 01-12-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsie52 (Post 322315)
We have a Begonia which is exactly the same as the Gardinia except for the front window in the kitchen ..We have the walk in Shower on an outside wall

It is great --no drafts so far (only been here since Oct) and the bathroom is more than spacious enough --we love it

good luck

I have an Iris with the same walk in shower. Although I haven't used it during the winter months, I've never heard anything bad mentioned with them. So- take off your clothes, turn on the water and enjoy.

TommyT 01-12-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchase (Post 322312)
input as to the pros/cons of a Roman walk in shower.

We have a Designer in Pennecamp with the Roman shower and love it. No drafts and is very enjoyable to take showers. No question...get it.

taylor111947 01-12-2011 12:04 PM

A Roman Shower is an important feature in the home I expect to buy. I'm hoping to live in TV for a long time so I want features that will accomodate me if I develop any kind of disabiity. The Roman Shower does not require you to step up, can easily fit a chair and may be big enough to handle a wheel chair (not sure about that, but it looks pretty big). Hopefully, that won't be necessary, but it pays to think ahead.

Mikitv 01-12-2011 12:25 PM

We have it in our Bridgeport and love it. No need for doors or curtains. I have a electric space heater I use when it is so cold here just like I did in Ark where I did have a shower door.

jaspal 01-12-2011 12:34 PM

We have a Lantana in Buttonwood with a roman shower. I LOVE it! The winter months are also comfortable.

pooh 01-12-2011 01:06 PM

We have a Roman shower in our Lantana. Love it. We've used it for over 4 years. What I did do was install some Command Strip hooks on one wall to put our towels on so we don't have to reach too far to get a nice dry towel after our shower.

Sherman931 01-12-2011 01:14 PM

Sorry to post the first negative comment. We have a roman in the Camilla model. Lost the area for sitting at the counter near wash basin where wife could do make-up etc. Also in the recent cold weather I find the "openess" not so warm. Miss something smaller where the hot water and steam keep you warm in a more confined shower....wouldn't do it again.

RichieLion 01-12-2011 01:27 PM

I also have the roman shower in my Camilla model, which is the same floorplan as a Gardenia in the wood and siding version, and love it. You lose a little area from one of the walk in closets and not the linen closet. Guess who got the smaller closet? LOL; it's still plenty big enough for me. Also there are 2 separate sinks and counters, so the wife and I are not bumping into each other brushing our teeth.

I love the openness of the shower and feel cramped in traditional showers now when I use them. Try it, you'll like it.

Taj44 01-12-2011 02:04 PM

We have used both types of shower, and prefer the closed in shower (with doors). It is just warmer and steamier. We have a gardenia with doors now, and it is plenty large enough and has a built in seat.

skyguy79 01-12-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLion (Post 322381)
I also have the roman shower in my Camilla model, which is the same floorplan as a Gardenia in the wood and siding version, and love it. You lose a little area from one of the walk in closets and not the linen closet. Guess who got the smaller closet? LOL; it's still plenty big enough for me. Also there are 2 separate sinks and counters, so the wife and I are not bumping into each other brushing our teeth.

I love the openness of the shower and feel cramped in traditional showers now when I use them. Try it, you'll like it.

Richie, I didn't check the Camilla but if you go to the floor plan for the Gardenia you'll find that there is space lost in the linen closet if you compare the main floor plan with option A. There is also no obvious loss of walk-in closet space apparant from that same floor plan.

oceangirl 01-12-2011 04:05 PM

We are building a Lily and having the roman shower. Can't wait I am so tired of finding the right shower curtain.

I was wondering what features sold you on the house that you built? I am leaning to white cabinets in the kitchen with a single wall oven.

Also I think we are having tile at the angle.

Any thoughts?:pepper2:

jaspal 01-12-2011 06:24 PM

Good idea---I'll also do that in my Lantana.

Debfrommaine 01-12-2011 06:26 PM

Have a Whispering Pine w/Roman shower - we all fit in the shower just fine!:BigApplause:

graciegirl 01-12-2011 06:27 PM

I like a door. It's warmer....even in the summer, the air conditioning kinda rushes in and it feeler colder than it really is....I think it feels nice and cozy to have a door.

To each his own...everyone is different. Different is good.

SALYBOW 01-12-2011 06:30 PM

Iris model

In the Iris we have the make up area and the large shower. LOVE THEM Room enough for a couple. I have yet to notice that it is cold even when you emerge from the stall.

skyguy79 01-12-2011 07:24 PM

I haven't been to TV yet to personally see the roman shower in person, except for in pictures. Couldn't those who are bothered by the chill place a shower curtain on a tension bar and while not comprimising the tile stay toasty warm, pretend you're in a steam room or whatever?

p.s. while typing the above I initially inadvertently typed "shower curtain" as "show curtain!" I trust you just pictured what went through my mind when I realized it... without my drawing a http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/censored/t10506.jpg picture!

RichieLion 01-12-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 322428)
Richie, I didn't check the Camilla but if you go to the floor plan for the Gardenia you'll find that there is space lost in the linen closet if you compare the main floor plan with option A. There is also no obvious loss of walk-in closet space apparant from that same floor plan.

Well, I guess they have different designs then for the master baths. In my home the left walk-in as you enter the bath ends and the linen closet is next to it and next to that is the smaller of the two sink areas.

On the right the walk-in is a little smaller than the one on the left to accommodate the roman shower which is next to it, and then the water closet is next. The larger sink takes up the back wall next to the water closet. I all rather nice and roomy.

The only change I would like is that in the newer constructions you can get a sliding door to close the bath area off from the bedroom. I don't have this in my home and lack of privacy, at times, is an issue.

Russ_Boston 01-12-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLion (Post 322503)
in the newer constructions you can get a sliding door to close the bath area off from the bedroom. I don't have this in my home and lack of privacy, at times, is an issue.

My new Begonia comes with that pocket door standard. We have the roman shower and we like it (even with this cold weather!!).

RichieLion 01-12-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 322526)
My new Begonia comes with that pocket door standard. We have the roman shower and we like it (even with this cold weather!!).

Russ, I've been contemplating getting a pocket door retrofitted if I could find a contractor I'd trust to do this.

If you or anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

getdul981 01-12-2011 10:23 PM

We have the roman shower in our Begonia and I personally don't mind that it feels a little bit cooler while you're drying off. My wife, on the other hand, finds it too cool. She has found that if she doesn't turn the exhaust fan on until she is finished it helps a lot.

Pturner 01-12-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hannon (Post 322317)
take off your clothes, turn on the water and enjoy.

:popcorn:

barb1191 01-12-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 322544)
:popcorn:

Phyllis.....Your subtle humor is hilarious; do so enjoy your posts.....barb

golfnut 01-13-2011 12:01 AM

i think our shower is the same size inside as the roman showers, but we have a door and enjoy the warmth from the steam created by being enclosed. what is the advantage of the roman style?..gn

redwitch 01-13-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLion (Post 322540)
Russ, I've been contemplating getting a pocket door retrofitted if I could find a contractor I'd trust to do this.

If you or anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

Richie, I don't have the number but I saw the work done by Rowe Construction (actually, a Villager on Blackville) in putting in a pocket door -- he did an excellent job, including the clean up after. I know I've found his number in the phone book (forget the first name, but last was Rowe on Blackville) in the past.

RichieLion 01-13-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 322563)
Richie, I don't have the number but I saw the work done by Rowe Construction (actually, a Villager on Blackville) in putting in a pocket door -- he did an excellent job, including the clean up after. I know I've found his number in the phone book (forget the first name, but last was Rowe on Blackville) in the past.

I didn't find a business listing, but found a home number. I'll give him a call. That's much Redwitch.

scrapple 01-13-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor111947 (Post 322352)
A Roman Shower is an important feature in the home I expect to buy. I'm hoping to live in TV for a long time so I want features that will accomodate me if I develop any kind of disabiity. The Roman Shower does not require you to step up, can easily fit a chair and may be big enough to handle a wheel chair (not sure about that, but it looks pretty big). Hopefully, that won't be necessary, but it pays to think ahead.

I look at things the same way and considered a Roman shower. It didn't seem to me to have the room to make the turn to go from the walkway to the main shower area, so I opted out. If that is a consideration, you might want to borrow a w/c with footpedals to see if there is room to maneuver. Or make a bigger roll in shower!

swrinfla 01-13-2011 06:29 PM

My Gardenia's walk-in shower attracted me from the very beginning! In the winter, I often think about getting a heat lamp installed, so that I'm always toasty warm. Haven't yet done so, but expect that I will before too long! Basically, I cannot really find anything wrong with the arrangement!

I mean, who can really complain about showering in Paradise, without shivvering??????????????

SWR
:beer3:

skyguy79 01-13-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrinfla (Post 322737)
My Gardenia's walk-in shower attracted me from the very beginning! In the winter, I often think about getting a heat lamp installed, so that I'm always toasty warm.
SWR
:beer3:

Great idea! We might consider doing the same thing! http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/im..._up_smiley.gif

jchase 01-15-2011 12:11 PM

Thanks for all of the great input. We will be going with the walk in Roman shower.