Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Palm tree root structure (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/palm-tree-root-structure-37257/)

djl8412 03-26-2011 07:24 PM

Palm tree root structure

:read:Will planting palm trees disturb underground irrigation lines with their root structures?

downeaster 03-26-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djl8412 (Post 341155)
:read:Will planting palm trees disturb underground irrigation lines with their root structures?

I don't think so. The majority of the root system is large ball. The roots that spread are quite soft but they travel a long way. I have seen palms planted close to sidewalks and driveways with no apparent problems.
A palm is not a tree but related to grass.
Now that I have made such a profound answer to your question, I will immediately google "palm" and see if I am correct.

784caroline 03-27-2011 08:11 AM

We just had a number of large palms planted and the crew took special effort to reroute the irrigation lines so that the palm trees would not be sitting directly of the water lines. In most cases the root ball was so big the depth of the hole had to go below the water lines . If youu have smaller trees this may not be such a problem. The root system of a palm tree is NOT like a Weeping Willow that gravitates to water and will mees up water lines.

graciegirl 03-27-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 341216)
We just had a number of large palms planted and the crew took special effort to reroute the irrigation lines so that the palm trees would not be sitting directly of the water lines. In most cases the root ball was so big the depth of the hole had to go below the water lines . If youu have smaller trees this may not be such a problem. The root system of a palm tree is NOT like a Weeping Willow that gravitates to water and will mees up water lines.

Here in The Villages, a person's wealth can immediately be ascertained by the size of his root balls. The bigger the balls and tree, the more money he has, or used to have..............

We don't own any palms of our own...

We have root ball envy.

K9-Lovers 03-27-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 341248)
Here in The Villages, a person's wealth can immediately be ascertained by the size of his root balls. The bigger the balls and tree, the more money he has, or used to have..............

We have root ball envy.

This is the funniest post I have ever read on TOTV. Gracie, you missed your calling . . . you should have been on that television show "The Last Comic Standing" :a20::clap2::1rotfl::1rotfl:

JohnN 03-27-2011 02:07 PM

I've read that palms have very long roots, thus their ability to withstand drought. Yet if the roots are soft (that's news to me, cool!!!!), then I can see where they won't harm streets nor water lines.

batman911 03-27-2011 02:40 PM

As a long time Hawaii resident, I have some experience with palms. Most palms have a tap (anchor) root which extends straight down. The tap root keeps the tall palms swaying in the wind without falling over. The other roots are small and soft and usually 6 to 12 inches deep. They spread out in every direction. My yard in Hawaii is full of palm roots. The roots do not interfere with the sprinkler system or harm walk ways or foundations. You will not be able to plant a palm of any size over sprinkler piping due to the size of the root ball. The roots will be an issue if you plan to do any digging in the yard. One thing to keep in mind is that all these roots absorb moisture and you will need to water your grass more because the roots will suck the moisture from the same level as the grass roots. Palms are a good choice in tight areas because of their soft root systems. You can see them planted in circular holes cut in the sidewalks all over downtown Honolulu and Waikiki.

2BNTV 03-27-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

We have root ball envy.

I loved this post. I am looking forward to meeting you and your family.

Gracie, you are one funny lady. Say good night Gracie as George Burns used to say.

skyguy79 03-27-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

We have root ball envy.

I KNEW IT... I JUST KNEW IT!!! When you, your daughter and S****** walked through our front door I said to myself... "Now theres a family that definitely has root ball envy!" Of course I didn't say anything in fear of being wrong and alienating you and your family on our first meeting, but now you've confirmed its true for sure. Boy, when it comes to recognizing people with root ball envy, I'm dang good, real dang good.. http://th67.photobucket.com/albums/h...od_envious.gif ain't I? http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...cons-groan.gif...:throwtomatoes:

784caroline 03-27-2011 08:27 PM

Gracie...great post...now i know why you are always smiling in your avatar. I tried to think of a proper response..... but their is none!!!!!!!!! I guess Im just gald of what I have "Big root ballls".......and to think I just got them last week!

Pturner 03-27-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

We have root ball envy.

Yep that gets three :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: and a :a20:

Bill-n-Brillo 03-27-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 341382)
Yep that gets three :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: and a :a20:

"Can I get a 'Boy Howdy!'?" :thumbup:

Bill

dfn8tly 03-28-2011 10:15 AM

WOW!

Between Gracie's "balls" and JohnN's "soft, long roots" this is the funniest (and most informative) post we've had on this forum in a long time.

Thanks for a great laugh.

skyguy79 03-28-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfn8tly (Post 341510)
WOW!

Between Gracie's "balls" and JohnN's "soft, long roots" this is the funniest (and most informative) post we've had on this forum in a long time.

Thanks for a great laugh.

All this talk reminds me of the word sobster. Y'all know what the definition of a sobster is, don't ya? Its a woman who gives a man a hard time when she sits on his lap and bawls!
http://th827.photobucket.com/albums/...t/th_yikes.gif

djl8412 03-28-2011 02:39 PM

:BigApplause:
Well I hit the jackpot with this thread! I received good advice with a side of comedy. As far as Gracie's measurement of wealth via root balls and tree size, I can only offer that comparing them to my financial status, it doesn't compute. Now let's go back to the palm trees..............:D