Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Won't Charge (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/wont-charge-37468/)

aln 04-02-2011 07:54 AM

Won't Charge

2003 Club Car charger won't start charging. :sigh:

It is the CART and I know this because my neighbors charger won't start on the cart either.

Nothing special about the cart; standard 20mph motor, no extra lights; not iq system.

Any suggestions ?? :shrug:

ajbrown 04-02-2011 08:09 AM

There are some simple things to test:
  • Verify the AC outlet has power.
  • In rare occurances the OBC power down mode, drive cart for 5 minutes and retry

Some common things go wrong that require some voltmeter skills:
  • Batteries are severely under charged, I believe the pack must have around 38 volts for the charger to start.
  • The relay in the charger goes, just replaced one last year on my Par Car
  • The on board computer has issues.
  • OBC fuse is blown

If you are a DIY'er with a voltmeter I can send some pointers....

aln 04-02-2011 08:21 AM

There is ac power
I did try to drive around again in forword & reverse

I hoping 'fuse'

where might I find this

BogeyBoy 04-02-2011 08:43 AM

I had this same issue earlier this year - sorry to say after some testing I had to replace the computer.

ajbrown 04-02-2011 08:46 AM

My Club Cars are both DS series carts, so if you have an IQ things may vary slightly.

Two fuses to check:

One is on the charger receptable itself.
The second is within a few inches of the receptable in a yellow housing.

Everytime someone has this issue it is recommended to reboot the OBC to be sure it is not locked. That info is here:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-system.html

427dave 04-04-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown;3***25
There are some simple things to test:
  • Verify the AC outlet has power.
  • In rare occurances the OBC power down mode, drive cart for 5 minutes and retry

Some common things go wrong that require some voltmeter skills:
  • Batteries are severely under charged, I believe the pack must have around 38 volts for the charger to start.
  • The relay in the charger goes, just replaced one last year on my Par Car
  • The on board computer has issues.
  • OBC fuse is blown

If you are a DIY'er with a voltmeter I can send some pointers....

Very good info, you covered just about everything!

aln 04-04-2011 10:33 PM

Just to update,, I found 2 fuses and both LOOKED ok.

Called the dealer as I have a 5 year warranty that should cover the computer so I don't want to mess with it.

Problem is I haven't gotten any 'call backs' from them since Friday morning.

Fortunatly I have 2 carts so it's not like I'm without one.

3Rd phone call to them tomorrow.... see what happens

:sigh:

ajbrown 04-05-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aln (Post 344089)
Just to update,, I found 2 fuses and both LOOKED ok.

Called the dealer as I have a 5 year warranty that should cover the computer so I don't want to mess with it.

Problem is I haven't gotten any 'call backs' from them since Friday morning.

Fortunatly I have 2 carts so it's not like I'm without one.

3Rd phone call to them tomorrow.... see what happens

:sigh:

Thanks for the follow up. In too many threads folks never post what they end up doing or how issue is resolved, so we miss a chance to learn.

Good news on the warranty, I have never had one of those (warranty) on my carts. You are more patient than me. I would call Friday AM, Friday PM, Monday AM, then every 4 hours increasing to every hour until I had to drive there Tuesday AM :mad:

Bill-n-Brillo 04-05-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 344129)
........You are more patient than me. I would call Friday AM, Friday PM, Monday AM, then every 4 hours increasing to every hour until I had to drive there Tuesday AM :mad:

aj - You could always borrow the roller-compactor (from your avatar) and take it on a little ride there to make your point........................:shocked:

Bill :)

red tail 04-06-2011 06:56 AM

i once had that problem on an old cart. it had sat for a year with no charge. i just took a standard 12v car charger and individually charged each battery with a 15 minute charge to get enough 'juice' in them so the cart charger wold work. worked like a charm for me!

aln 04-17-2011 08:47 AM

and the rest of the story........

Discount Cart world picked it up 1 week after initial complaint.
They left me a loaner cart
Three working days later they called to say it was fixed.
They installed a new charging plug receptical. They said there was a broken wire in it.
NO CHARGE - UNDER WARRANTY. :clap2:

Mikeod 04-17-2011 01:03 PM

Whew! :BigApplause:

champion6 04-17-2011 05:06 PM

Not so bad. Thanks for the follow-up. It helps.

ajbrown 04-18-2011 10:33 AM

Nice thread

Thanks for following up, glad it worked out so well. For folks like me who have no warranty and are DIYs, it is fun to know the end result for issues with sparky carts.

bismo1999@hotmail.com 05-19-2011 09:05 AM

charger doesn,t seem to fully charge batteries

I have a yamaha that doesn,t seem to charge fully it will only run about 30 minutes and then it will not pull a hill . I have checked the batteries with a snap-on tester and they are 6 volts under load and I want to buy new batteries until I am sure they are bad I have had the cart about 3 years with these batteries are us2200 . My question is can they can the check out good and still run down that quick. The batterie charger charging gauge has quit working but it still charges but I don,t know if it charges them all the way before it cut off.