Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Garbage Disposal Lubrication (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/garbage-disposal-lubrication-45302/)

REDCART 11-21-2011 09:11 AM

Garbage Disposal Lubrication

If you're absent for any length of time it's likely that your garbage disposal will freeze up in your absence. Has anyone found a method of lubricating the unit so that it doesn't freeze up, maybe with spray silicone or WD40--before you leave?

red tail 11-21-2011 10:44 AM

ive never heard of that happening to anyone

faithfulfrank 11-21-2011 11:35 AM

Sometimes small amounts of crud will get caught below the blades resulting in a "stuck" disposer. You will know this happened if all you get is a hum.

Most disposers come with a large Allen wrench that you can "break free" the blades in that case. If you can't find it you can buy them at any big box store.

Make sure the unit is OFF before doing so. If it is just plugged in, ( some places allow that by code.) unplug it. If hard wired make sure BOTH the switch is off AND the breaker just to be safe. Also know that most disposers come with a reset button that may need to be pressed.

Frank

REDCART 11-21-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 420620)

Trust me, it's quite common. But to answer my own question, if you did lubricate it, some good soul would come along, run water through it and there goes your spray lubricant down the drain.

2newyorkers 11-21-2011 02:36 PM

Someone told us to put in a capful of vegetable oil.

REDCART 11-21-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 420695)
Someone told us to put in a capful of vegetable oil.

Thanks, it's so obvious, and I missed it. That should work.

An Old New Yorker 2

Paperboy 01-16-2012 05:00 PM

garbage disposal lube

2 different plumbers told me to pour cooking oil (canola, vegetable or olive) down your disposal & also pour in the bottom of the dishwasher. Need about 1/4 cup down each. Helps from seals in dishwasher from drying out.

eviemaurer 01-17-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperboy (Post 441275)
2 different plumbers told me to pour cooking oil (canola, vegetable or olive) down your disposal & also pour in the bottom of the dishwasher. Need about 1/4 cup down each. Helps from seals in dishwasher from drying out.

Every month I run a bag size of ice cubes (old ones after cleaning out the freezer) through the disposal. You would be surprised at what comes up through the drain on the other sink. I am a fussy housecleaner, but I am really amazed at what must be lurking in my disposal when I see the black stuff that comes through. A good way to clean the disposal.

graciegirl 01-17-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 420620)

Me either. Ever. Nada. Let's take a poll. Who has had their garbage disposal get jammed up during an absence?

I have put stuff down it that caused it to clog.

..and if you want an easy way to deodorize and clean one put lemon or orange rind through it.

The blades don't really need oiling.