Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Trayvon Martin (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/trayvon-martin-50649/)

jflynn1 03-23-2012 06:13 AM

Trayvon Martin

Interesting: Every News organiozation in the world has been reporting on this tragic event in Sanford Florida. Not One word in the Daily Sun, The Fun Only Newsletter.It is a shame they call themselves a news organization.

villages07 03-23-2012 06:37 AM

We've been so inundated on this incident by the national news outlets and Orlando stations that I had not paid attention to the Sun's coverage. Can't speak about anything prior to today, but Friday's paper, page c8, has a half page AP article.

jblum315 03-23-2012 07:04 AM

I repeat, I repeat, I repeat: The Daily Sun is not a newspaper. It is an advertising vehicle for the developer, who owns it.

graciegirl 03-23-2012 08:21 AM

OH. The original poster was talking about the SUN, not Trayvon Martin. I leapt to the wrong conclusion.

The Sun is liked better by people who are more of the Republican persuasion. It is liked less by real journalists. It is disliked intensely by folks who are more from the Democrats side of the aisle.

The local news coverage is getting better.

It was one of the things I addressed on my survey. Some of the writers are not very good. Overall it is a pretty good paper for a small town of 90K. I like the Sun. In case you are wondering I am a moderate. Nobody likes my politics.

NotGolfer 03-23-2012 08:39 AM

NOT on the front page...HOWEVER...read yesterday's paper and I think you'll find an article inside, perhaps on the 4th or 5th page. I agree we're unindated with such things. Remember Casey Anthony's trial. I agree this thing was horrible and the shooter should be looked at differently BUT not all the folks jumping on the "band-wagon" etc. Farrikon (I know I spelled it wrong) is in the frey now!

graciegirl 03-23-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 470304)
NOT on the front page...HOWEVER...read yesterday's paper and I think you'll find an article inside, perhaps on the 4th or 5th page. I agree we're unindated with such things. Remember Casey Anthony's trial. I agree this thing was horrible and the shooter should be looked at differently BUT not all the folks jumping on the "band-wagon" etc. Farrikon (I know I spelled it wrong) is in the frey now!

It is an issue not easily understood or solved. The cause of his shooting.

He is a child lost to a family and community who are rightfully grief stricken and angry.

The law...that kind of law may need modifications. It appears the man who shot him followed him against directions from authority, so maybe the law ....who knows? WHO KNOWS???

FMF Doc 03-23-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 470298)
Getting BACK to the original posters subject. I am following it too.

This thread will inevitably be about the law that allows people to protect their property.

I feel that the rally was indeed justified. He was a kid doing nothing wrong. A nice kid. Shot because he was black.

I doubt that the law will be changed. We didn't have such laws in Ohio.

Until I moved here I haven't ever run into such intense support of carrying and owning guns. It is new and confusing and somewhat disturbing to me.

This was a judgement call by the police based on their opinion if Zimmerman acted in self defense or not. Apparently as they first saw things they felt it was and did not charge him. The law may be changed in that a decision not be made so quicly and without input from other departments or agencies.

I feel Zimmerman was in the wrong once he went he became the agreesor in pursuing Martin. The 911 operator even told him not to do that. What a shame to get killed for carrying a bag of skittles.

Gracie, Ohio has been a shall issue permit state for awhile now. Ohio residents do obtain the permits for and do carry concealed weapons.

paulandjean 03-23-2012 09:23 AM

So wrong,glad police chief stepped down.Think there have been other situations in that town of Sanford.Kid cannot even walk to a store for candy without a label put on him. Shooter should see a long long jail time.

army one 03-23-2012 09:29 AM

Innocent until proven guilty not here

Here we go again. We are letting the media determine the verdict before the case ever gets to court. We are doing the same as with the Anthony situation. I don't believe half of what any media prints and the other half is always a fabrication. Nuff Sail

billethkid 03-23-2012 09:36 AM

the emoticons are:

he was killed for carrying a bag of candy??? An example of individual extrapolation of facts to make a point.

carrying a gun and permits to do so are at issue? Just another opportunity to question law abiding citizen's right to own/carry a gun. Some how the point that the non law abiding among us will get and carry and use a gun when if there was a law against ownership....even more so once they know the pickings are even easier.

I for one am glad it is not a priority in TV paper. I appreciate the sad state of the incident. I do not appreciate the racist circus the media is helping perpetuate.

btk

PennBF 03-23-2012 10:22 AM

Disgrace

The thing I find the most disgraceful is that Sharpton has seen fit to
again try to get publicity from tragedy. We lived about 5 miles from the
Tawana Brawley attempt to destroy a fine family and the antics of
Sharpton who, in the end was sued and lost but the last I heard never
paid the Attorney the settlement. He is below contempt for the
Brawley action. Anything to get his name in the paper. :mad:

RichieLion 03-23-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 470353)
The thing I find the most disgraceful is that Sharpton has seen fit to
again try to get publicity from tragedy. We lived about 5 miles from the
Tawana Brawley attempt to destroy a fine family and the antics of
Sharpton who, in the end was sued and lost but the last I heard never
paid the Attorney the settlement. He is below contempt for the
Brawley action. Anything to get his name in the paper. :mad:

Exactly right. Sharpton has never had to fully answer for his Tawana Brawley hoax, his role in the Freddie's Mart fire and murder or his role in the Crown Heights riots, lootings and murder.

When Sharpton is involved I know something's not right.

paulandjean 03-23-2012 01:36 PM

And you think this guy is a law abiding citizen carry a gun. He stuck his nose into something he should not have.This is nothing about rights to carry guns. Its about a cowboy out of control,killing a child.Hey no problem with Sharpton, this killing went on for a few weeks and nobody knew of it. Good for him standing up for a right cause.

DaleMN 03-23-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 470418)
And you think this guy is a law abiding citizen carry a gun. He stuck his nose into something he should not have.This is nothing about rights to carry guns. Its about a cowboy out of control,killing a child.Hey no problem with Sharpton, this killing went on for a few weeks and nobody knew of it. Good for him standing up for a right cause.

Agree.

CMANN 03-23-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 470418)

Show us the proof!