Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Black sticky stuff in Kitchen Tap Water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/black-sticky-stuff-kitchen-tap-water-50850/)

Walt. 03-26-2012 12:10 PM

Black sticky stuff in Kitchen Tap Water

I went to fill a water bottle from the kitchen tap and was amazed at what came out. The bottle was loaded with black flakes and the water seemed discolored. I touched some of the flakes and they just smeared and appeared to be a bit greasy. I ran the water a bit more and it got better a short time later. The water in the bathroms and the laundry room sink are all fine, as is the water from the hose hook-ups outside. Does anybody know what this was or where it came from? The laundry room sink is closest to the water heater and is ok so I don't think the heater would be it.
We had a new faucet installed about 10 months ago.
Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Walt.

Bogie Shooter 03-26-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt. (Post 471820)
I went to fill a water bottle from the kitchen tap and was amazed at what came out. The bottle was loaded with black flakes and the water seemed discolored. I touched some of the flakes and they just smeared and appeared to be a bit greasy. I ran the water a bit more and it got better a short time later. The water in the bathroms and the laundry room sink are all fine, as is the water from the hose hook-ups outside. Does anybody know what this was or where it came from? The laundry room sink is closest to the water heater and is ok so I don't think the heater would be it.
Walt.

What did the water department say?

hdh1470 03-26-2012 02:06 PM

soon you will be moving to Beverly Hills

graciegirl 03-26-2012 02:08 PM

I haven't had any debris in water ever here in Laurel Valley or in Hadley. It will be soon four years.

BarryRX 03-26-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Walt.

I would recommend taking apart the aerator attachment on the faucet and see if perhaps a gasket was flaking off little pieces. Since you didn't get it out of any other faucets, that's the only thing I could think of.

graciegirl 03-26-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryRX (Post 471880)
I would recommend taking apart the aerator attachment on the faucet and see if perhaps a gasket was flaking off little pieces. Since you didn't get it out of any other faucets, that's the only thing I could think of.

That is a very good idea. Mold grows VERY quickly. I looked in the drain of my sink and it was black. I had the stopper in overnight.

Posh 08 03-26-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdh1470 (Post 471856)

:a20::a20::a20:

mrfixit 03-26-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

I went to fill a water bottle from the kitchen tap and was amazed at what came out.
The bottle was loaded with black flakes and the water seemed discolored. I touched some of the flakes and they just smeared and appeared to be a bit greasy.
I ran the water a bit more and it got better a short time later. The water in the bathroms and the laundry room sink are all fine, as is the water from the hose hook-ups outside. Does anybody know what this was or where it came from? The laundry room sink is closest to the water heater and is ok so I don't think the heater would be it.
Walt.

...............Black Flakes.....Greasy feel when you smear them.

....It is likely BLACK ("Bacteriological") IRON ...... It is lurking in most ALL water pipes....NOT TO WORRY......

GENERALLY seen AFTER pipes are bumped or disturbed or new faucets or other items are installed in your system.
SOMETIMES caused by pipes being disturbed UPSTREAM that belong to supplier of you water.

IF you are familar with the following procedures ...and a little bit mechanically inclined ....you might consider this a do-it-yourself project.

YOU MUST WEAR SAFETY GOGGLEs AND KEEP the AREAS WELL VENTILATED...

IF you have a "filter" set-up for your household water supply..... simply shut OFF the water supply.....then pour 10 oz. of Chlorine in the filter basket....turn the water supply back ON ........run EACH tap IN the house UNTIL you smell Chlorine. ( when you first run the water you will get ...air bursts..... because you opened the system.....Drape a wash cloth around the taps ....and ...wear clothes you don't like ..in case chlorine gets on you.)
Do EVERY tap. ...then wait 6 hours or so ....then run each tap again UNTIL you no longer smell chlorine.....When you first run the water after the SIX hour (MINIMUM) wait ...you LIKELY will see the BLACK IRON come out of EACH tap.

BE SURE TO BUY BOTTLED WATER PRIOR TO THIS PROCEDURE.....AND.....
TAPE A WARNING TO EACH FAUCET....including your shower...
DO NOT DRINK THE WATER UNTIL THE CHLORINE SMELL IS GONE.......

.....OR....You can simply IGNORE the flakes......and clean your faucet screens when the flow seems restricted from the buildup of BLACK IRON.

IF the BLACK IRON bothers you.... and... you are not familar with the procedure....CALL a PLUMBER....
LIKELY COST.....$65. for service call.
.........................75. for Labor.

Then YOU run your taps after the 6 or more hours. IF you want the PLUMBER to Come ack to run the water DOUBLE the COST

CarGuys 03-26-2012 10:33 PM

Hmmm untreated water

No comment you guys no what I'm thinking. Lol

Barefoot 03-27-2012 04:01 AM

Mr. Fixit ... do you recommend a filter for the household water? And if so, what kind?

vlm790 02-13-2014 10:52 AM

Had same problem. I called the plumber who for $60 told me to call Delta. He said the line inside the kitchen faucet was deteriorating. The house is 13 months old. Called Delta faucets and they determined (on the phone) that the plumber was right. They are sending me a new hose. Now I need to have the plumber back out to install it. Yes, another $60 fee then pay him in 15 minute increments. I think this is ridiculous so am asking the plumber for a break in the cost to return.:swear:

keithwand 02-13-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdh1470 (Post 471856)

Texas tea?

BarryRX 02-13-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithwand (Post 828642)
Texas tea?

Nope....black gold.

keithwand 02-13-2014 01:29 PM

Goodbye city life..
Oops wrong show.

Walt. 02-13-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlm790 (Post 828634)
Had same problem. I called the plumber who for $60 told me to call Delta. He said the line inside the kitchen faucet was deteriorating. The house is 13 months old. Called Delta faucets and they determined (on the phone) that the plumber was right. They are sending me a new hose. Now I need to have the plumber back out to install it. Yes, another $60 fee then pay him in 15 minute increments. I think this is ridiculous so am asking the plumber for a break in the cost to return.:swear:

That's what was wrong with mine. My plumber figured it was a part of the faucet and we got a replacement from Delta. Then, when he came back he replaced some supposedly deteriorated washers which he said was the problem. There was another tube thing he didn't replace (and insisted wasn't the problem). Well, it turns out that the tube was the problem... so it wasn't fixed even then. Luckily we were having our counter tops replaced and the plumber who was hooking up the new ones knew immediately what was wrong and fixed.