Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Alligators in the Villages, a question. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/alligators-villages-question-50957/)

zonerboy 03-28-2012 11:24 AM

Alligators in the Villages, a question.

I've been living here in the Villages for about nine months, and in my wanderings about I've seen quite a few gators. Most have been sunning themselves alongside retention ponds associated with golf courses, but I've also seem some in other ponds. So my question is: what do these native creatures eat. Do they catch ducks or other water fowl that hang out in and around the ponds? Do the powers that be stock these ponds with fish that the gators can eat. I've noticed people fishing in ponds that are not on golf courses, but I've also seen some ponds further north than where I am which are almost dry and there don't seem to be any fish flopping about in the mud.
I've managed to hit quite a few golf balls into the water, but I don't think these have much nutritional value.
So what's the real answer, all you experts??

F16 1UB 03-28-2012 01:58 PM

They Eat Anything That Moves or Smells

Gators eat fish, fowl, other gators....just about anything that moves or smells rancid. I've witnessed the first 2.

Some ponds have been stocked by the Freshwater Fishing Club. With very low to no water north of 466, fish stocking may take place once the retention ponds are replenished. Eventually fish stocking may also take place south of 466a. No retention ponds will be stocked with gators.

Pet owners need to keep pets away from all ponds. As for golfers....forget it - you can't tell them if their Pro VI landed in the drink to leave it alone? I didn't think so.

And it's against the law to feed gators.

Nuisance Gator Hot Line

1.866.FWC.GATOR

OpusX1 03-28-2012 02:26 PM

Last year I saw a gator take a Sandhill Crane in the pond on Turtle mound golf course. I imagine that they take some of the feral cats hunting around the ponds but I have never seen that happen.

jojo 03-28-2012 03:07 PM

We saw a gator consume a large turtle that was sitting on a sandbar in the retention pond behind our house.

zonerboy 03-29-2012 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info.
As far as food and survival in general, I guess the gators are pretty much on their own. Retention ponds don't exactly seem like ideal habitat, though. Not much vegetation in the water or around the shores for cover or hiding out. It seems they travel from pond to pond, but I don't know if they do this over land or if they can go from place to place thru the drainage pipes.

pooh 03-29-2012 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes they eat golf carts.... ;)

Got this picture a couple of years ago....a 6 foot gator roaming around Bridgeport.

Mikeod 03-29-2012 10:53 AM

They don't go overland. It is rare to see a gator on the streets. There have been instances of gators in yards, but these are rare as well. They much prefer an aquatic life.

Some people have been seen feeding gators, but that just encourages them to search for food out of the water. Not a good thing. And, once a gator is accustomed to leaving the water for food, it will be captured and killed. It is against the law to feed gators.

TommyT 03-29-2012 11:58 AM

Gators

I call them "Florida Lizards"

JoeC1947 03-29-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 472998)
I call them "Florida Lizards"

I call them dinner.

skyguy79 03-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 472979)
Sometimes they eat golf carts.... ;)

We give our pet gator Gassy Gator Tummy Chews when he gets an upset stomach from eating golf carts! http://www.allpest.com/wot/smileys/roll.gif

http://www.vitadiscount.com/vitaspri...-improvita.jpg

Mickedamouse24 03-29-2012 02:44 PM

Gators are Wild Creatures!

:shrug: Let them live in peace! Admire or look from a distance but leave them alone! Humans are quickly destroying their natural habitat...!!! The last thing you should do is offer up food... They loose their natural fear of humans and at that point it's only a matter of time until their death warrant is enacted. Wild creatures should be allowed a peaceful co-existance. Many of them were here long before we were! Let Them Be..!!

logdog 03-29-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 472981)
They don't go overland. It is rare to see a gator on the streets. There have been instances of gators in yards, but these are rare as well. They much prefer an aquatic life.

Some people have been seen feeding gators, but that just encourages them to search for food out of the water. Not a good thing. And, once a gator is accustomed to leaving the water for food, it will be captured and killed. It is against the law to feed gators.

Last Saturday, a small (maybe 4 foot?) gator was caught and killed on my neighbor's front porch. We don't live anywhere near the water. It may be rare but it does happen.

daca55 03-29-2012 08:59 PM

So if when I am playing golf if I hit a ball near a pond I should not play it from there because of the gators???? :shrug:

wendyquat 03-29-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logdog (Post 473115)
Last Saturday, a small (maybe 4 foot?) gator was caught and killed on my neighbor's front porch. We don't live anywhere near the water. It may be rare but it does happen.

Killed?. Why on earth? Seems someone from wildlife services could have relocated it out of harms way! People make me so mad killing every snake they see! Snakes do way more good than harm!

cappyjon431 03-29-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyquat (Post 473263)
Killed?. Why on earth? Seems someone from wildlife services could have relocated it out of harms way! People make me so mad killing every snake they see! Snakes do way more good than harm!

:agree:

Sometimes I think folks live too much in fear and it stops them from enjoying the natural beauty around us.

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Fear is the darkroom where negatives are developed." There was a lot of truth on that little slip of paper.