Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Sprinkler heads sinking? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/sprinkler-heads-sinking-57083/)

DebbieB 07-22-2012 01:47 PM

Sprinkler heads sinking?

Was wondering if anyone has had an issue with sprinkler heads sinking low in the ground after about 5 months? I bought donuts for them when we first got here, but they seem to be an awful lot lower now. I mean, they still just make it over the grass level to function, but did you have to raise them? Is this a normal thing after the sod takes and grows? If so, can anyone recommend who may do the job, I have 39 of those sprinklers and would not relish doing the job myself. Thanks for any input you may have on this.

Lori4719 07-22-2012 01:55 PM

Our landscaper told us not to use the donuts that they make the sprinklers sink. Something about the donuts weighing the ground down? I didn't really understand it at the time, but maybe she was right. I would call either your irrigation person or the person that does your lawn and see if they can help you.

eremite06 07-22-2012 01:56 PM

Turn on a zone of sprinklers. Drop golf balls on their locations. Spray RoundUp within the donuts. The donuts don't sink, the grass grows over them.

Golfingnut 07-22-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eremite06 (Post 526394)
Turn on a zone of sprinklers. Drop golf balls on their locations. Spray RoundUp within the donuts. The donuts don't sink, the grass grows over them.

Ditto

skip0358 07-22-2012 02:20 PM

Sprinklers

Up north we put a brick under the bottom of the sprinkler connection. Down here they just lay the pipe screw in the head and the sod goes down. When the lawn guys rides the heavy mover over your donughts and heads down they go. I've fixed several of mine already.

DebbieB 07-22-2012 02:22 PM

Thanks! Good to know information that I will certainly give a try for sure. I spent quite some time pulling out a ton of grass from all those sprinklers yesterday and surrounding area by the donuts.

asianthree 07-22-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingnut (Post 526402)
Ditto

yep as your yard grows mulch settles in and the dirt get higher. there are two inch heads and four inch heads, i slowly have been replacing heads its not fun but not that hard

DebbieB 07-22-2012 02:27 PM

Skip, what are you saying exactly? Are you putting a brick under the donut?? Not sure the sprinkler would still make it over top then, just saying... that doesn't sound right to me. If you are talking about taking out the whole sprinkler from deep in the ground and putting brick, that is a bit much to do all 39, are you for hire? LOL! 39 of them is quite a lot of work, more than I want to do myself.

DebbieB 07-22-2012 02:32 PM

Maybe warranty would take care of it since house is less than a year old? I do a lot of yard work, garden stuff, inside and out, not a lazy person by no means, but to have this happen in such a short amount of time, I think warranty should come out and put in those 4 inch heads, makes sense right? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but in the meantime, Roundup will be applied, but they still are mightly low in the ground. Sounds like I may have to get those 4 inch ones installed. Anyone know anyone who does such a thing?

skip0358 07-22-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieB (Post 526412)
Skip, what are you saying exactly? Are you putting a brick under the donut?? Not sure the sprinkler would still make it over top then, just saying... that doesn't sound right to me. If you are talking about taking out the whole sprinkler from deep in the ground and putting brick, that is a bit much to do all 39, are you for hire? LOL! 39 of them is quite a lot of work, more than I want to do myself.

No the brick went at the base of the sprinker head where it screw into the pipe. The brick slowed the sinking a lot. Yes there are also taller heads and extension pipes you can buy but when the siol is wet under the head and it's run over by a riding mover it will sink

DebbieB 07-22-2012 02:52 PM

Thanks Skip, I got it now, doing that 39 times here seems a bit overwhelming though. Phew! That's a whole lot of digging! I would be afraid I would break the irrigation pipe doing it myself. Trying to get this job done this coming week, can't say I ever dabbled with irrigation fixing, new territory for me. Thanks for all the information, helps a lot.

golfnut 07-22-2012 02:59 PM

I would call warranty for sure

DebbieB 07-22-2012 03:11 PM

Golfnut, considering it is quite a lot of work, it is not just a "few" heads I have to do, I am going to call warranty. Seems very odd that 90% of them are that way, way deep, like up to my elbow! Hubby is not here all the time to do it, and for me, well, a little out of my league...

784caroline 07-22-2012 03:39 PM

Raising the sprinkler heads is part of routine sprinkler maintenance.....Don the Donunut man charges about $2.50 a head (plus service call)to dig out and put more sand under the head. He also checks for leaks(replaces leaky sprinkler heads) and realign the sprinkling pattern. BTW Dons son is now doing a majority of the business.

A donut is critical for without donuts, the lawnmowers would break or crack the sprinkler head...which would cause bigger problems (and costs).

DebbieB 07-22-2012 06:38 PM

Well, I have owned a home up north for over 25 years and yes, from time to time, "A" sprinkler head "may" have to to adjusted, not always raised, I think I can count on one hand all the times hubby did that to ours and we have sandy soil due to the "Pinelands", so similar soil. This is just 5 months and over 90%, so thinking this is not normal as why have someone do it if another 5 months goes and it does it again? One or two, sure, no problem, but 35 outta 39??? Something is wrong with that, and I get my grass push mowed, so no heavy ride on going over it. Oh well, will figure it out and post what I find out in the end, it will work out one way or the other, that's for sure.