Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Brownwood - Wildwood (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/brownwood-wildwood-58933/)

buggyone 08-18-2012 12:02 PM

Brownwood - Wildwood

I was talking with a fellow Villager yesterday at Mallory Hill CC. He told me he had been talking to several construction workers near Brownwood and all of them were from Wildwood. They said that they would be frequenting the bars at Brownwood once it was completed since the bars outside The Villages cannot compete with the drink prices of The Villages and just as close as Wildwood - technically it is Wildwood.

Not that I am disparaging construction workers or Wildwood in general, but I wonder about having Brownwood built within Wildwood. Will it be bringing too many outsiders in to the nightly entertainment so residents will have a hard time finding seats in the stadium seating or a much more local clientle than we find at Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing?

cquick 08-18-2012 12:20 PM

I don't think having "outsiders" is a bad thing.....after all the businesses there want to stay solvent....I don't think the
"outsiders" will hurt Brownwood at all......let them spend their money there!

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cquick (Post 542903)
I don't think having "outsiders" is a bad thing.....after all the businesses there want to stay solvent....I don't think the

I agree.

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggyone (Post 542892)
I was talking with a fellow Villager yesterday at Mallory Hill CC. He told me he had been talking to several construction workers near Brownwood and all of them were from Wildwood. They said that they would be frequenting the bars at Brownwood once it was completed since the bars outside The Villages cannot compete with the drink prices of The Villages and just as close as Wildwood - technically it is Wildwood.

Not that I am disparaging construction workers or Wildwood in general, but I wonder about having Brownwood built within Wildwood. Will it be bringing too many outsiders in to the nightly entertainment so residents will have a hard time finding seats in the stadium seating or a much more local clientle than we find at Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing?

And what do you propose doing to eliminate having those "outsiders" coming into Brownwood.
This should not even be discussed!

quirky3 08-18-2012 12:43 PM

I agree!

Quote:

I agree!:thumbup:

tucson 08-18-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

The "outsiders" have been using TV retail shops/restuarants/bars/hospitals/ etc; for many,many years. Not to worry....

graciegirl 08-18-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

You are a great guy, but I think you worry too much about this issue. Once all is said and done, I betcha it is gonna be fine.

Not everyone likes to hang out with geezers.

All around us are areas of poverty. We are bringing business and jobs by our being here and over time the areas around us should improve as the number of employed increases.

Is this political?

mulligan 08-18-2012 12:54 PM

Thought we'd gotten over this wildwood discussion. This really burns me. Wildwood residents can build your homes (quite well i might add), clean them, mow your lawns, and probably wipe your butt when you hit the nursing home, but don,t let them spend their money in "your bars". Give me a break!!

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 542935)
You are a great guy, but I think you worry too much about this issue. Once all is said and done, I betcha it is gonna be fine.

Not everyone likes to hang out with geezers.

All around us are areas of poverty. We are bringing business and jobs by our being here and over time the areas around us should improve as the number of employed increases.

Is this political?

Only when you start giving us the party line on how to eliminate poverty~:police:

graciegirl 08-18-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 542944)
Only when you start giving us the party line on how to eliminate poverty~:police:

That'll never happen. I appreciate the fact that good happens around us for the folks who lived here before us.

cquick 08-18-2012 01:02 PM

I personnally am excited about more shopping!

skip0358 08-18-2012 01:07 PM

Wildwood

I do think your missing something,how many outsiders already shop,work, ride thru,visit here. As stated let them come and enjoy and spend their money here. Oh yea by the way we were ALL outsiders at one point so relax and when you meet one of those outsiders remember to say hi and introduce yourself.

asianthree 08-18-2012 01:08 PM

ummmmmm shopping and dreams of costco...sams TJs cheesecake factory....sorry just dreaming

buggyone 08-18-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 542941)
Thought we'd gotten over this wildwood discussion. This really burns me. Wildwood residents can build your homes (quite well i might add), clean them, mow your lawns, and probably wipe your butt when you hit the nursing home, but don,t let them spend their money in "your bars". Give me a break!!

I did not say anything about not letting people from Wildwood use our public restaurants and bars or entertainment at the squares. I am only wondering if Brownwood will become "Wildwood East" (if I have my direction right) instead of a place that Villagers will cluster. Just wondering, that's all - not disparaging anyone.

Barefoot 08-18-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

"Outsiders" have been the life blood of Spanish Springs and LSL, and the movie theatres. So have Snowbirds. Without these two groups, it would be a struggle for businesses and restaurants to remain profitable.