Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Panhandling on 441 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/panhandling-441-a-62993/)

Joaniesmom 10-28-2012 10:02 AM

Panhandling on 441

We live at the northernmost part of The Villages. So we use Routes 42 and 441 very often. At the intersection of these roads and a few others, we daily see people standing in the center dividing lines, holding cardboard signs, asking for donations.

In Ohio this would be immediately stopped, but it seems to be allowed here.

My feeling is that it shouldn't be allowed here either. Or, if there are regulations, they should be enforced.

The people are a distraction to drivers and, if someone stops to make some kind of donation, they are holding up traffic behind them.

Surely there are agencies to help them. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I was wondering what others think about this situation.

Thanks for your opinions.

Mack184 10-28-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joaniesmom (Post 573507)
We live at the northernmost part of The Villages. So we use Routes 42 and 441 very often. At the intersection of these roads and a few others, we daily see people standing in the center dividing lines, holding cardboard signs, asking for donations.

My feeling is that it shouldn't be allowed here either. Or, if there are regulations, they should be enforced.

The people are a distraction to drivers and, if someone stops to make some kind of donation, they are holding up traffic behind them.

I'm sort of interested in what fairytale part of Ohio you lived in where panhandling would be "immediately" stopped. I lived in Maumee & worked in Toledo from 1994-1997 and there were panhandlers at virtually every major intersection all over the greater Toledo metro area, and I NEVER saw them stopped or shooed away ever. On top of that every possible legitimate charity organization was allowed to stand at street intersections with collection buckets doing the same thing except they were legitimate charities.

graciegirl 10-28-2012 11:25 AM

Mack. You know if you are from Ohio that every part of it is fairytale and magical.

We saw panhandlers in Cincinnati, even in PERFECT Cincinnati, Ohio. And Joanie, I don't know what the answer is. Our grandson a teenage student looked half the summer for work last year and found it in suburban West Chester,Ohio.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM73jRsJn4A"]John Stewart and Stevie Nicks ~Gold - YouTube[/ame]

mfp509 10-28-2012 11:37 AM

I think it should be banned. I see a woman with a sign about being a single mom with 2 or 3 kids - where are the kids? Who's taking care of them while she is standing at the intersection? They are there during normal working hours of weekdays - why aren't they out looking for work? Filling out applications. I've seen quite a few "now hiring" signs lately. The pay may only be minimum, but at least it's something. Probably more than what they are collecting from the motorists. There are organizations that will help with clothing so a person can go out and look for employment. I've donated clothes to them. I see some of them standing there talking on cell phones - how are they paying that bill? Maybe I sound harsh, but I don't buy any of it. I give to many legitimate organizations - not a dime to a panhandler.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-28-2012 11:43 AM

I saw a guy standing there with a sign and a woman with several signs getting out of a late model Buick parked in the grassy area off to the right of the road. My wife who is from the Philippines where there are really poor beggars everywhere, commented that these people look very clean and well dressed.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

janmcn 10-28-2012 11:44 AM

It's up to the city, town or other municipality to pass an ordinance banning panhandling, like the city of Tampa recently did, and then the police must enforce the ban. The only people now allowed on the streets of Tampa are vendors selling the Sunday newspapers.

red tail 10-28-2012 11:47 AM

most of these folks are not there because they want to be. since we know nothing about their circumstances...ie disabled veterans,mentally challenged etc etc etc perhaps harsh opinions are not warranted.

kittylecroix 10-28-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joaniesmom (Post 573507)

We were at Luigino's recently eating outside and a guy came by on a bike and asked us for money. I was surprised.

Mack184 10-28-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 573573)
Mack. You know if you are from Ohio that every part of it is fairytale and magical.

We saw panhandlers in Cincinnati, even in PERFECT Cincinnati, Ohio. And Joanie, I don't know what the answer is. Our grandson a teenage student looked half the summer for work last year and found it in suburban West Chester,Ohio.

John Stewart and Stevie Nicks ~Gold - YouTube

I'm not "from" Ohio, I'm from upstate NY. I just lived & worked in Ohio for 3 years. While I was not as enthralled with Ohio as you are, I did have the best boss I ever worked for in my entire work history there. And.. there is also a street in Dayton that carries my last name, which is very interesting since my last name is not at all a common one. So there are 2 points for Ohio.

paulandjean 10-28-2012 12:38 PM

Just leave them alone.They are not causing any problems. As Mom use to say,"tend to your own". Or the polite way, Mind your own business.

Mack184 10-28-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 573640)
Just leave them alone.They are not causing any problems. As Mom use to say,"tend to your own". Or the polite way, Mind your own business.

I think that's an excellent answer. Jesus said that "the poor will always be with us". And if these people are not trying to get in your way, or knocking on your car windows as somtimes happens in places like NYC, Chicago or LA, then leaving them alone is the correct answer.

With that said, I have come to see many of these people in an entirely different light following several episodes of a very interesting program on National Geographic called "Drugs, Inc." On that program you see a number of drug addicts going out to panhandle using the "I'm homeless" or even worse the "I'm a homeless veteran" scam to pull at people's heartstrings just to get money for their drug habit.

But as PAJ said in their post, if they're not bothering you, then either leave them alone, or put a couple bucks in their hat, whichever you're led to do and go on about your business.

graciegirl 10-28-2012 02:08 PM

Some of us think..you should look for a job and some of us think poor you, you are not able to work.

Only God knows what is happening.

Most of us try to take care of our selves and our families and those we know who need our help.

Most of us have so much pride that we would do almost any job rather than to beg.

justjim 10-28-2012 02:38 PM

IMHO if you are able to stand in the hot Florida sun for hours at a time, you should be able to work someplace. Exception might be the mentally challenged.

red tail 10-28-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 573706)
IMHO if you are able to stand in the hot Florida sun for hours at a time, you should be able to work someplace. Exception might be the mentally challenged.

since we dont have public transportation available how are they supposed to get to and fro?

DDoug 10-28-2012 02:49 PM

If you feed a dog they never will go home