Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   New Italian Restaurant Coming (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/new-italian-restaurant-coming-75320/)

skyguy79 04-17-2013 10:42 AM

New Italian Restaurant Coming

It was reported this morning in the Sun that a new Italian Restaurant is coming to Colony Plaza called Mezza Luna Restaurant. You'll find some information at the Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant website.

KathieI 04-17-2013 11:04 AM

That's exciting and needed. Menu items don't sound like a gourmet faire but just hope its edible. Not complaining, just an observation.

BTW, Mezza Luna is the name of the restaurant that OJ Simpson's wife visited before getting murdered, OK Kathie, that wasn't necessary!!
:mad:

graciegirl 04-17-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathieI (Post 661128)
That's exciting and needed. Menu items don't sound like a gourmet faire but just hope its edible. Not complaining, just an observation.

BTW, Mezza Luna is the name of the restaurant that OJ Simpson's wife visited before getting murdered, OK Kathie, that wasn't necessary!! :mad:

Kathie...That is exactly what I was thinking.

skyguy79 04-17-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

BTW, Mezza Luna is the name of the restaurant that OJ Simpson's wife visited before getting murdered, OK Kathie, that wasn't necessary!!

I thought about the Goldman connection and came to the same conclusion. BTW, my son currently lives in Brentwood within walking distance from where the Mezza Luna Restaurant used to be. They closed back in the 90's

I did a little searching and also came to the conclusion that there are a lot of restaurants by the name Mezza Luna across the country including some variations like La Mezzaluna. In just a few states I found a few of them in ME, NJ and even here in FL. I didn't notice any connections with the one coming here.

fwpc3 04-17-2013 12:12 PM

Mezza Luna is Italian for half moon. It is the name for a type of chopping or mincing knife.

buggyone 04-17-2013 12:16 PM

Sure hope that Mezza Luna is better than Luigino's at Spanish Springs. The food and service are both terrible at Luigino's.

A good Italian place is Giovani's at Southern Trace Plaza. It is packed both summer and winter and has consistently good food.

hansel 04-17-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

This restaurant originated from the town in NJ where we previously lived, Manalapan. I never ate there so I have no idea if they are good or bad. For sure we will give it a try once it opens.

rayschic 04-17-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansel (Post 661174)
This restaurant originated from the town in NJ where we previously lived, Manalapan. I never ate there so I have no idea if they are good or bad. For sure we will give it a try once it opens.

Yes, there was a Mezza Luna in Manalapan, NJ. If you google Mezza Luna, you will see a restaurant listed in almost EVERY state. All different menus and different owners. Here's what's on the Gourmet Club website. It lists the owners.
I hope that they had a successful Italian restaurant somewhere and are bringing it here.

Mezza Luna Restaurant, 243 Colony Blvd., The Villages, FL. (Italian) L/D. To be located where CiCi's Pizza, and later Village Pizza, occupied at the east end of Colony Plaza, off CR 466A. A summer 2013 opening is expected. A full menu, full service restaurant, in a casual 4,000 s.f. atmosphere, will offer soups, salads, pizzas, calzones, subs, wings, wraps, paninis, pastas, plus appetizers and entrées such as Chicken and Veal dishes, as well as seafood items like Tilapia, Mussels, Scallops and Shrimp. Whole wheat and reduced fat items are expected also. Beer and wine license is likely. Paul Imperiale, manager; German Buitrago and chef, Salvatore Imperiale, owners.

looneycat 04-17-2013 01:47 PM

really could use a good restaurant at Colony. That is such a 'hidden' location at the end, that you are either good or gone...obviously Cici's is gone, so now let's get something good.

RedChariot 04-17-2013 01:51 PM

We were so surprized!

I am from Manalapan, NJ. Yes we ate at Mezza Luna many times. Typical Jersey Italian restaurant. It was on a commuter highway Rt. 9. Very busy place. They gave very hearty portions in house and take-out. You would not survive in business in NJ if you gave the portions that the restaurants in The Villages serve. In New Jersey we are willing to pay as long as we get our money's worth. It was not fine dining. It was casual. We loved their sausage and peppers with pasta and a seafood combo over pasta. It was not our most favorite Italian place, but decent. That was then and there. I will be surprized if it is the same here.

gocubsgo 04-17-2013 01:53 PM

I wonder if they are hiring?

2BNTV 04-17-2013 01:56 PM

I love pasta so I hope they have a good chef. A restaurant is only as good as the chef. It's worth a try. :smiley:

spk7951 04-17-2013 02:54 PM

Hopefully this will be a good addition to the Colony area. Like the idea of the variety versus what is already there. All we need now is a decent place for breakfast.

rubicon 04-17-2013 03:27 PM

Giovanni's is about the best Italian restaurant in the area. His place is small. I'll bet he could fill three times the space 7 days a week if he chose to do so.

rayschic 04-17-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 661277)
Giovanni's is about the best Italian restaurant in the area. His place is small. I'll bet he could fill three times the space 7 days a week if he chose to do so.

I talked to him once about this and he said he wouldn't want to expand. He felt that he could handle the amount of tables that he has, but any more and the service would suffer. I agree with rubicon...best Italian restaurant in the area.
I will definitely try the new Italian restaurant when it opens but I think I'll still be going to Giovanni's since I live in Santiago.

buggyone 04-17-2013 03:48 PM

The Mezza Luna is taking the spot that CiCi's Pizza was in. No doubt that whatever food is served by Mezza Luna that it will be heads and shoulders above CiCi's Pizza. That pizza was like eating cardboard with a little cheese flavoring.

SALYBOW 04-17-2013 04:32 PM

I am just estatic that someone noticed us poor little South Villagers. We are in desperate need of restaurants. I don't care about the gourmet... I just want decent food. We need a Little Joeys down here. PUUULEEZE.

marianne237 04-17-2013 05:50 PM

Got to say I'm so impressed with the info that comes out of some of these postings. Who knew (or cared) that Mezza Luna restaurants existed in so many places? And to find out what mezza luna means too.

sjdjmd 04-17-2013 07:40 PM

A new place for all of us! Yea!!

applesoffh 04-17-2013 08:15 PM

OH, I hope it's good. I really miss decent Italian-American food. IMHO, all the Italian places here are mediocre at best. Not looking for gourmet, just decent would be fine with me!

ilovetv 04-17-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 661277)

I agree about Giovanni's. It is excellent but far too small for all the people waiting for a table (on the sidewalk). As for the reply.....
Quote:

I talked to him once about this and he said he wouldn't want to expand. He felt that he could handle the amount of tables that he has, but any more and the service would suffer. I agree with rubicon...best Italian restaurant in the area.
.....They need to get a bigger facility, not necessarily add many more tables. Space is so tight in there that it feels like pressure to "eat and get OUT", and it's difficult for the servers to get through. They need a place with space around the tables/booths with ample walkways!

Giovanni's food is fantastic!

The Great Fumar 04-17-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

KATH....
It looks a little cramped for space there........and remember ,(IF IT DOESN'T FIT, YOU MUST AQUIT.).....

FUMAR .....:22yikes:

SusanOfWoodbury 04-18-2013 02:13 AM

Does anyone know if this new establishment will serve gluten free ptoducts?

jbdlfan 04-18-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetv (Post 661441)
I agree about Giovanni's. It is excellent but far too small for all the people waiting for a table (on the sidewalk). As for the reply.....

.....They need to get a bigger facility, not necessarily add many more tables. Space is so tight in there that it feels like pressure to "eat and get OUT", and it's difficult for the servers to get through. They need a place with space around the tables/booths with ample walkways!

Giovanni's food is fantastic!

We are just the opposite! Love the "togetherness." Sat next to Nancy Lopez one night and felt like she was at our table. (At least that's what I told everybody the next day)

Bogie Shooter 04-18-2013 07:06 AM

This thread has been hijacked!

Love2cruise 04-18-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 661119)
It was reported this morning in the Sun that a new Italian Restaurant is coming to Colony Plaza called Mezza Luna Restaurant. You'll find some information at the Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant website.

Thank you for providing the link, I had no idea there was such a list.

Villages PL 04-18-2013 02:37 PM

New Restaurant coming this summer: Mezza Luna Italian Restaurant

I think the name is "Mezza Luna". That means "half Moon"? My Italian is getting rusty. ;)

I was getting interested until I read that they will have a bar. I really dislike restaurants with bars because wherever there is drinking, people tend to get loud. As a vegan, i'm not a big fan of Italian food anyway, but I might have tried their minestrone soup. Or something else like that.

Bogie Shooter 04-18-2013 04:13 PM

This is a new one. A restaurant gets bashed before it even opens!

2BNTV 04-18-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 661849)

:1rotfl:

VP - There is another thread on this restaurant.

justjim 04-18-2013 04:27 PM

I understand Mezza Luna is going to locate in Colony Plaza where CC'S Pizza use to be. According to the Daily Sun the owners are EXPERIENCED in the restaurant business and this is welcome news.

manaboutown 04-18-2013 04:35 PM

Did they come from Brentwood? The Mezzaluna there closed and became a Peet's Coffee.

skyguy79 04-18-2013 05:35 PM

Patty55 04-18-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 661865)
Did they come from Brentwood? The Mezzaluna there closed and became a Peet's Coffee.

Whoa, if they did they're going to be shocked in the difference in TIPS.

manaboutown 04-18-2013 06:09 PM

Another Mezzaluna was located a few short blocks from my home in Corona Del Mar, CA and I ate there once in a while. It, too, closed. For some strange reason Bruni Magli shoes became unavailable about the same time although shoes are again being sold under that label. Don't know if they are the same quality as they were, though.

PattyPan1 04-18-2013 06:41 PM

Yippy,

Finall another choise of Itailian fare.

Tried Giovanni's and how anyone can say it was great is beyond me (my very strong opinion) There food is always greasey and usally someone in our group gets sick afterwood.

Plain, good Italian food is just what we need, and with their last names, fugetaboutit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 661119)

Skip2MySue 04-18-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 661849)

Good one Bogie, I wonder if that is a 1st??????:laugh:
Skip 2

skyc6 04-18-2013 11:00 PM

I am excited this restaurant is coming and I wish them well. I hope the food is good, the service is friendly, and the cost is reasonable. For those of you expecting the worst...I am sure it will be terrible! Stay home and stay warm. There will be more room for the rest of us! :)

Patty55 04-19-2013 07:03 PM

Can't wait to give a try. :coolsmiley:Hope they deliver.

Villages PL 04-24-2013 11:06 AM

What can we possibly know about a new Italian restaurant before it even opens? Well, maybe a lot. The name "Mezza Luna" is an important clue. It means "half moon" and everyone knows the moon is made of cheese. So the word "Luna" is code for "cheese" and it's likely that most dishes will feature a lot of cheese......mezza cheese. :mmmm:

Typical Italian Menu (of comfort foods):

Lasagna: (white flour, sodium, full-fat cheese)

Ravioli: (white flour, sodium, full-fat cheese)

Pizza (white flour, sodium, full-fat cheese)

Spaghetti: (white flour, sodium-sauce, gratted (sodium) cheese)

What kind of dressing do you want with your salad? Blue cheese?

The idea of another Italian restaurant in The Villages makes me wonder how it will fit in with The Village's plan to become America's healthiest hometown.

To me, eating Italian is supposed to be healthful. And that means the emphasis should be on vegetables and low sodium. But it's not likely that this will ever happen in a restaurant.

Wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if they would offer non-fat, low sodium, whole grain lasagna? They could do it once per week for Weight Watchers or any others who might be interested. They could call it: "Weight Watchers
Lasagna Wednesday". Then, if it's popular, they could slowly add other dishes.

I see they will offer low fat and whole wheat items. That's good, but will these items also be low sodium and low sugar? I once tried a whole grain roll at Golden Corral and it was loaded with sugar and/or corn syrup. It was more like a dessert than bread. Just give a restaurant half a chance and they can ruin anything.

ROCKETMAN 05-30-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looneycat (Post 661203)
really could use a good restaurant at Colony. That is such a 'hidden' location at the end, that you are either good or gone...obviously Cici's is gone, so now let's get something good.

For people on a budget ceci's was a great deal. Their salads were good and cinnamon rolls were very good. No one ever thought they were getting gourmet pizza. It didn't close because of lack of business but the owner after his lease was up decided he would have the same deal but no franchise fee but didn't read his contract with ceci's that stated could not open another pizza place within a certain distance for the original one.