Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Clubs of the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/clubs-villages-76/)
-   -   Ballroom Dancing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/clubs-villages-76/ballroom-dancing-8060/)

cujoforever 12-01-2006 05:05 PM

Ballroom Dancing

Do any of the Recreation Centers in Lake Sumpter Landing have ballroom dancing???. If so, please advise which evening(s) and the time.
thanks

mdspchldy1 06-30-2007 08:09 PM

Re: Ballroom Dancing

Yes, there is a ballroom dance practice every Monday night from 7-9 pm at Canal Street Rec. Center. Dress is casual.

iaudit 07-22-2007 08:25 AM

There is also dancing on Saturday nights at 7 PM at Bridgeport Center at Lake Miona. In addition, there are swing lessons on Monday at 1 PM at La Hacienda. Of course, you can dance every afternoon and evening in Katie Belle's, as well as in the squares every night.

jerseygirl13 08-17-2007 10:38 PM

Ballroom dancing for singles !! Now that would be great fun. Ballroom dancing is such great exercise and really challenges folks to push themselves. Sooooooo much to remember with each dance; my favorite is swing and cha-cha.

IS THERE A BALLROOM DANCING CLUB FOR SINGLES????? please say yes, pleeeeeeez.

PJ 05-29-2008 02:39 PM

Re: Ballroom Dancing for Singles

This is an old post, but I just noticed it, and hope you are still interested.

Yes there is a Singles Ballroom Dance Club. There's a class at Pimlico Rec. Ctr. each Wed. at 3:00, with practice sessions before and after every class. Practice sessions are 2:30 - 3:00, (then class from 3 to 4:00) then more practice from 4 to 4:45 or whenever. The group has about 75 people, and it's an enthusiastic group, very interested in learning. Our first class was Waltz for 6 wks, then we just finished 6 wks of Swing. Next Wednesday we start on Foxtrot.

This is a good time to join, and start a new class with the group. We also sometimes go out to eat or dance elsewhere.

There are no club dues, and each class session is about $26.00. There are some in the class that have been doing ballroom for many years, and are there to help the beginners and support singles ballroom dancing in The Villages. Most of us can see that TV is very "couples oriented", and cater to couples. We have nothing against couples of course, but that excludes a great number of our population. So this helps those who like to dance with a partner.

This is the only ballroom dance class here that I know of where no partner is required to sign up. There's almost an equal balance of male/female in the class, we currently need a few more men to balance it out. The teachers are excellent and they rotate partners so that everyone gets to dance. Geri & John Conrad are excellent teachers.

To get into the class, call TV Lifelong Learning College 753-3035 and ask for the Singles Ballroom Foxtrot class, #2263.304, June 4-July 9. I think the cost is $26.00 for residents.

KathieI 05-29-2008 03:02 PM

Thanks for bringing this back up, PJ, I love ballroom dancing and will look into this when I'm full time resident this summer. See ya there!

Kath

PJ 05-29-2008 08:22 PM

Kathie1, you're very welcome!

dapster 02-16-2011 05:15 PM

RE: Ballroom Dancing

Are there any local clubs that have dinner dances such as Elks Lodges, Moose Lodges, etc? Also, are there any local places where they have live dance music other than the town squares?