Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Oh That Bermuda!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/oh-bermuda-81349/)

PaPaLarry 06-30-2013 07:10 PM

Oh That Bermuda!!!

Oh that Bermuda!!! It keeps crawling through the zoysia, and seems to be taking over. I keep pulling long stringers of Bermuda in lawn. Time to give up!! Bermuda has won.:bigbow:

travelguy 06-30-2013 07:14 PM

I got it also. The invasion is in full force. What am I to do?

Bogie Shooter 06-30-2013 07:34 PM

The best thing to do...................if its green......mow it!

or

Q: How can I remove Bermudagrass from my EMPIRE Zoysia?

A: Bermuda is a dominant, fast growing grass that will out-compete many other turfgrass varieties. Generally, there are three methods for control of bermudagrass; digging the grass out by hand, killing the bermuda and the grass around it by applying a Roundup type herbicide, or applying a herbicide that will kill the bermuda but not damage the surrounding turfgrass. Because EMPIRE Zoysia has a natural resistance to several common herbicides, we recommend that you initially try the third method. Specifically, as a homeowner, you can use Ornamec to eliminate the bermuda. A turf farm can use Fusilade II. Used at labeled rates, they will have little to no negative effects on EMPIRE. As always, please read and follow labeled instructions on any herbicide product. Also, Ornamec and Fusilade II may only be available through a licensed chemical applicator.

My guess if you kill the Bermuda the bare spots will have to be resoded with Zoysia.

PaPaLarry 07-01-2013 04:48 AM

Thanks Bogie!!!!! I like the idea, "if it's green, Mow It!!" I wonder why The Villages just didn't choose Bermuda, instead of Zoysia??? Oh well Bark Mulch works good too. No mowing.

batman911 07-01-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPaLarry (Post 700692)
Thanks Bogie!!!!! I like the idea, "if it's green, Mow It!!" I wonder why The Villages just didn't choose Bermuda, instead of Zoysia??? Oh well Bark Mulch works good too. No mowing.

Bermuda is not shade tolerant and needs lots of water and sun to stay green.

rubicon 07-01-2013 01:47 PM

I believe before Empire St Augustine was used v Bermuda. I had Bermuda when living in another southern state and while the were alike there were differences...but then I could be wrong. I could never run a rake through my Bermuda but I can St Augustine

gomoho 07-01-2013 03:05 PM

So where is this Bermuda invading our zoysia lawns coming from?

doccrocker 07-01-2013 11:10 PM

Astroturf anyone?

:shrug:I just don't get it. After living in Michigan with beautiful soft, plush Merion bluegrass, now I have a full lawn of what we used to call crabgrass. Amazing.:loco:

DougB 07-01-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doccrocker (Post 701252)
:shrug:I just don't get it. After living in Michigan with beautiful soft, plush Merion bluegrass, now I have a full lawn of what we used to call crabgrass. Amazing.:loco:

Welcome to Florida!

Mikitv 07-02-2013 05:13 PM

Been here 3 years now and at one time our back lawn was all wild Bermuda. We have pulling it up, digging up the roots, spraying with round up and other killers, then back to constantly pulling up runners then digging up roots. We now have a back yard with green Zoysia and once in awhile Bermuda from neighbors. Good Luck you can win the battle with hard work and persistance.

PaPaLarry 07-02-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 700950)
So where is this Bermuda invading our zoysia lawns coming from?

I think the mowers bring it in on their tires, just like they can bring in fungus etc.

Steve Nagy 07-07-2013 05:47 AM

We are pleased with the results we got when we switched our fertilizing service to Zoysia Green. Their brew includes Ornamec (or Fusilade II, not sure which), and the stuff really works.

gomoho 07-07-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nagy (Post 704142)
We are pleased with the results we got when we switched our fertilizing service to Zoysia Green. Their brew includes Ornamec (or Fusilade II, not sure which), and the stuff really works.

Are you saying this brew eliminates the Bermuda in your lawn???

PaPaLarry 07-07-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 704148)

I'd be curious too!!!

Steve Nagy 07-10-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 704148)

"Eliminate" is a strong word, as the seeds are everywhere, but the brew does kill the Bermuda that is in my lawn within a few days of application. I get a treatment 6 times per year that includes both fertilizers and herbicides.