Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Today's Daily Sun Article (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/todays-daily-sun-article-81766/)

perrjojo 07-05-2013 04:55 PM

Today's Daily Sun Article

Today's Daily Sun had a great article about the Mulit Modal Paths. The article reminded us that the multi modal paths are for ALL to enjoy....not just golf carts. The paths are for use by walkers, joggers, bicycles, segways, roller blades. Paths are NOT to be used by Smart Cars or motorcycles. The article also stressed the need for care and courtesy by all.

Just my 2 cents worth: Those on the path are our neighbors or friends and family of our neighbors. Some may be careless, rude, inconsiderate or just plain stupid, but they are our neighbors. Please treat all of our neighbors with the courtesy and respect that you would want. They all pay the same fees to use the paths as you! It's a beautiful day in The Villages...do your part to keep it beautiful.

Schaumburger 07-06-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perrjojo (Post 703378)
Today's Daily Sun had a great article about the Mulit Modal Paths. The article reminded us that the multi modal paths are for ALL to enjoy....not just golf carts. The paths are for use by walkers, joggers, bicycles, segways, roller blades. Paths are NOT to be used by Smart Cars or motorcycles. The article also stressed the need for care and courtesy by all.

Just my 2 cents worth: Those on the path are our neighbors or friends and family of our neighbors. Some may be careless, rude, inconsiderate or just plain stupid, but they are our neighbors. Please treat all of our neighbors with the courtesy and respect that you would want. They all pay the same fees to use the paths as you! It's a beautiful day in The Villages...do your part to keep it beautiful.

I was able to read this article on the on-line edition of The Daily Sun. Agree with you -- it was a great article.

asianthree 07-06-2013 07:15 AM

so not for the suv...maybe this will help those who try to use them with their cars

DDoug 07-06-2013 07:25 AM

What about street legal carts and gem cars should they be on the path.Personally I dont think they should but whatever. Is'nt that why they wanted street legal so they didnt have to run the path.

aln 07-06-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDoug (Post 703557)
What about street legal carts and gem cars should they be on the path.Personally I dont think they should but whatever. Is'nt that why they wanted street legal so they didnt have to run the path.

They CANNOT use streets such as hwy 466. Street legal are only supposed to go 25 mph and not allowed on streets with speed limits above 35 mph.

SOOOOO yes they can and must use multi-modal paths in a case like that.

NotGolfer 07-06-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Well said!!!! Thank you for posting!! Also to the poster who doesn't want LSV's on the paths...they are entitled as well.

rubicon 07-06-2013 08:44 AM

The Daily Sun does have a way with marketing things. A multi-modal path that by its design places conflicting interests on the same pathway creating extraordinary hazards is well praised by said paper to be an engineering miracle.

perrjojo 07-06-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 703604)
The Daily Sun does have a way with marketing things. A multi-modal path that by its design places conflicting interests on the same pathway creating extraordinary hazards is well praised by said paper to be an engineering miracle.

Don't worry, be happy!

memason 07-06-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 703604)

You're joking, right? Everyone that visits me thinks those paths are the most amazing things they have ever seen

I certainly would not characterize the pathways as creating "extraordinary hazards" for anyone.

But hey, that's just me . . .

DonH57 07-06-2013 09:38 AM

I think the multi modal paths are great. I use them as much as possible to avoid the main roads and wish TV had more. I feel the only causes of hazards are careless operators. I see nothing wrong with the design of these paths. They are not perfect but better than nothing at all. If anything without these paths I think there would be many more car / cart accidents than there are now.

NotGolfer 07-06-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 703647)
I think the multi modal paths are great. I use them as much as possible to avoid the main roads and wish TV had more. I feel the only causes of hazards are careless operators. I see nothing wrong with the design of these paths. They are not perfect but better than nothing at all. If anything without these paths I think there would be many more car / cart accidents than there are now.

It's the drivers who make the paths hazardous, I agree with the quote above! My brother lives in AZ where there aren't these paths and the golf-carts share the streets with automobiles....he says it's horrible!!! We're blessed to have such a wonderful community where the Morse family has had a great vision to make it so for us!! I'm amazed at the folks who have nothing but "sour grapes" attitudes but still will say "...but I LOVE the life-style". That seems like an oxymoron to me.

Villages PL 07-06-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

If you pass someone on a bicycle, do you have to stay 3' away? And if you pass someone walking, do you have to do the same? If an LSV goes 30 m.p.h. on a path and passes someone walking, how much room should they leave? I would consider it a threat to life and limb to have a fast moving LSV pass close to me while I'm walking.

Bogie Shooter 07-06-2013 11:50 AM

If there was nothing in the Daily Sun about safety on the paths.........the same folks would be bitching about the paper never saying anythig!
They are never happy...........must be a sad life.

Lbmb24101 07-06-2013 11:52 AM

:lipsrsealed:These paths is THE MAIN REASON we bought in The Villages!
They are amazing!
What other part of the world has these?

People think of Peachtree City, Ga, which yes, has golf cart mobility.
But Ptree City can not even begin to compare w TV!!!

perrjojo 07-06-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 703710)
If you pass someone on a bicycle, do you have to stay 3' away? And if you pass someone walking, do you have to do the same? If an LSV goes 30 m.p.h. on a path and passes someone walking, how much room should they leave? I would consider it a threat to life and limb to have a fast moving LSV pass close to me while I'm walking.

:rant-rave:
I believe the article said use care and courtesy...Nuff said!