Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   VCCDD proposes purchasing old El Santiago restaurant building (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/vccdd-proposes-purchasing-old-el-santiago-restaurant-building-82706/)

villages07 07-17-2013 07:09 AM

VCCDD proposes purchasing old El Santiago restaurant building

From the July 18th agenda for the VCCDD central district. They are proposing a purchase of the old El Santiago restaurant from the developer with the intent to turn it into a rec center. The current El Santiago recreation facility (adjacent to the family pool) is very small and under-equipped.

http://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/P...20130718vc1021

graciegirl 07-17-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07 (Post 709516)
From the July 18th agenda for the VCCDD central district. They are proposing a purchase of the old El Santiago restaurant from the developer with the intent to turn it into a rec center. The current El Santiago recreation facility (adjacent to the family pool) is very small and under-equipped.

http://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/P...20130718vc1021

Isn't this space currently sitting there empty, Villages07?

villages07 07-17-2013 07:30 AM

The restaurant space is empty, as it has been for several years.

There is an existing, very small rec center adjacent to the Santiago family pool that has one or two meeting rooms but no pool tables or large meeting room. It is not at the same level of size or equipment as say O'Dell or Bacall rec center. With the acquisition of the restaurant building, the assumption is it would expand the rec center size and capabilities.

gomoho 07-17-2013 07:49 AM

I hope they do this for the folks living in that neighborhood. Always good to see improvements being made.

DonH57 07-17-2013 08:18 AM

If they do build a new rec center for our village I'm hoping they at least turn the older smaller one into a sandwich or snack shop for the users of the golf course, pool, tennis or pickleball and shuffleboard courts. Although I'm sure some like me bring our own snacks and beverages to the pool.

DianeM 07-17-2013 08:30 AM

Sounds like a "makes sense" idea. Hope the proposition goes through.

aln 07-17-2013 09:01 AM

Definitely like the snak bar idea!:MOJE_whot:

DonH57 07-17-2013 09:51 AM

I don't believe it would happen as that would be competing against the country club pool side business which is an option to villagers. Would be nice though!

zcaveman 07-17-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 709569)
If they do build a new rec center for our village I'm hoping they at least turn the older smaller one into a sandwich or snack shop for the users of the golf course, pool, tennis or pickleball and shuffleboard courts.

Who would man it? Volunteers? I am sure it was a money making proposition, Morse would have his hand out for his share of the profits.

Z

janmcn 07-17-2013 10:37 AM

Any time the developer wants to make a deal with the residents, hold onto your wallet. Who doesn't remember the deal the residents got back in the early 2000's when we paid the developer nine times what it cost him to build several facilities...nine times.

graciegirl 07-17-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 709626)
Any time the developer wants to make a deal with the residents, hold onto your wallet. Who doesn't remember the deal the residents got back in the early 2000's when we paid the developer nine times what it cost him to build several facilities...nine times.

You did?

That is a pretty big net profit, but people are allowed to make a profit. Not everything is run in the red.

travelguy 07-17-2013 12:05 PM

like the snack bar idea near the pool; we had a great snack bar at most of the community pools in the philadelphia area where i grew up. slushies and hot dogs and penny candy (which cost a penny) and pretzels and on and on. why can't we have a good humor or mister softee ice cream truck going around to some of the neighborhood pools? remember the sound of the the bells or incessant circus-y music when they were coming down the street?
now i am hungry......and nostalgic!

crummybuttons 07-17-2013 02:01 PM

Old El Santiago Restaurant

Us folks who live around this place wish it would go back to being a restaurant and bar. Imagine coming off the course and sitting on the beautiful back deck to tip a few beers. We don't need more pool tables when there are so many around. This place was a great meeting place and fun place to be. They keep closing all the good places like Chula Vista (remember that restaurant?) Silver Lake (remember that restaurant?) Now Orange Blossom is closed (remodeling they say) Make El Santiago into a restaurant/grill again!!!

Jim 9922 07-17-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crummybuttons (Post 709765)
Us folks who live around this place wish it would go back to being a restaurant and bar. Imagine coming off the course and sitting on the beautiful back deck to tip a few beers. We don't need more pool tables when there are so many around. This place was a great meeting place and fun place to be. They keep closing all the good places like Chula Vista (remember that restaurant?) Silver Lake (remember that restaurant?) Now Orange Blossom is closed (remodeling they say) Make El Santiago into a restaurant/grill again!!!

I agree 100%. There were always 20,40,50 people using the Silver Lake and Chula restaurant and bar facilities. Lots of hometown/neighborhood interaction as long as the facilities were open. Refreshments after golf, friday night fish fries, a good Sunday brunch, etc. Now, maybe 4 or 6 people at a time in the glorified pool halls and maybe an activity group once in a while. Those ex-restaurant facilities are now dead almost all day long. At least they provide public johns! Problem is that the developer doesn't want them as restaurants and we have no say.

---or maybe the the family yacht needs a new paint job and the price we will be stuck with will fill the bill nicely.:duck:

Warren Kiefer 07-17-2013 08:27 PM

Gracie you are too kind

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 709636)
You did?

That is a pretty big net profit, but people are allowed to make a profit. Not everything is run in the red.

Yes a reasonable profit, but this is similiar to why we usury laws. These laws were established to keep anyone or any facility from charging outragous interest. If I am not mistaken the developer selling the VCCD facilities such as the Savannah Center is why the IRS issue is before us at this time. The IRS has declared that the bonds issued to make such purchases are not in fact tax exempt.