Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sex in the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sex-villages-8282/)

Talk Host 03-21-2007 07:56 PM

Sex in the Villages

I keep hearing stories about people all over The Villages, "hooking up." I guess (I didn't see it) CNN did a story about it. Is it a reality or is it the figment of somebodies imagination? Just how is it that people are getting all this action? Where are they going to make such contacts?

My wife and I were at Katie Belle's one evening to take pictures for Talk of The Villages, and I was "hit on" twice.....in front of my wife. Is this what people are talking about.....or is there a club somewhere. I'm not asking for personal use......you understand? I am just curious, as I am sure lots of other people are.
:dontknow:

Talk Host 03-23-2007 10:34 AM

Re: Sex in the Villages

Is this issue to hot to reply too. :a20:

Kitria 03-24-2007 08:51 PM

I guess the topic would be interesting to singles. Happily married and don't listen to the scuttlebutt, so do not hear about the singles action.

Kit

JohnZ 03-28-2007 12:51 PM

Has anyone noticed the number of views this post has gotten? It seems like folks are very interested in "Sex in the Villages"...huh? But there are few posts on the topic. Common folks....yer not tryin'. My wife and I visted Katie Bell's for the first time about four years ago. The last time we went there, about a year ago I think, there was definitely a change in atmosphere and the new dynamic was almost palpable (I wasn't palpating...just watching). It was kind of interesting, even entertaining, to observe if you aren't a participant. It reminded me of a high school dance in a wierd kinda way. We thought yep...uh huh...things are going on. But then, doesn't this happen everywhere? What's so different or special (or unsavory) because it happens in here?

Lucko 05-01-2007 10:36 PM

I did notice a news article a couple of months ago about a rash (no pun intended) of STD in The Villages that prompted some informational seminars. Must be some action around here.

darbyduff 05-09-2007 01:39 PM

Hi Everyone!

Now I understand why this is Florida's Friendlest Hometown!! (lol)

My husband and I are stranded up in Colorful (not as colorful as "The Villages" I gather!)
Colorado waiting for our house to sell so we can join all of you down in Florida. Although the last time we were down there, we went to Katie Belle's with no knowledge of anything out of the ordinary... Very Very friendly thou............ When we finally move down there....I'll certainly keep my eyes open!!! Or put my husband on a short leash!!! lol

Webmaster: Thanks so much for coming up with this unique way to "talk" to fellow villagers...!! It keeps me informed on the "going on's" in my new hometown, but I admit it makes the waiting that much harder!!!! Does anyone want to buy a 3000 sq ft townhome in Colorado??? lol

mike1946 07-12-2007 11:53 AM

Katie Belles, Main Street Bistro (after 9pm) and Crazy Gringo's are fun places also County line Bar (off the Villages) My wife and I love visiting a people watching !!!

Talk Host 07-12-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1946
Katie Belles, Main Street Bistro (after 9pm) and Crazy Gringo's are fun places also County line Bar (off the Villages) My wife and I love visiting a people watching !!!

Well, Mike, tell us. What exactly do you watch???????? ;D Should my wife an I watch too? :o

darbyduff 07-12-2007 01:35 PM

Do they have cameras at Katie Belles like they do in the townsquares??????? :2cool: :click:

Just asking..........lol

BethS 07-12-2007 01:36 PM

We started hearing the stories about the Villages the minute it was on CNN and people knew we were moving here. They couldn't believe we were moving to a place with STD's. Well, we have been here almost a year and have not come across anything out of the usual. I guess we're not in the loop!!!!

Frangyomory 07-12-2007 05:16 PM

Mike1946 has done his homework. We went out as a group of couples to Main Street Bistro and were treated very rudely by some "singles" because we were taking up their seats at the piano bar! That is exactly what they said to us....can't you hurry up and finish your dinner. We are regulars and you are sitting in our seats!!!! Laughed so hard I cried. Complained about their behavior to the manager and she was no help. She told me to "just ignore them" like I was going to pay attention anyway!

Yes, there are a few places where "hooking up" is the thing and couples only go there to watch those trying to remember their teen years!!!!! You just have to see the make-up and sequins on the cheeks and you know you are in a "singles" bar!!!!

I understand that the ratio of single women to men is humongous too!!

darbyduff 07-12-2007 05:36 PM

I thought I left that behind in High School!!!!

"I can't wait till I get to Katie Belle's Friday night.... Maybe Jimmy will ask me to go steady!!!!!"

larrydube 07-12-2007 06:20 PM

not houmongous bit "ginormus".... new word in the dictionary

bestmickey 07-25-2007 12:46 AM

Gee, some pretty unkind things being said about singles in TV...I'm going to have to rethink my plans. I was hoping TV was going to be a "live and let live" community.
Guess it's not. :'(

While I recognize there are some singles out there who make total fools of themselves, what have you got against singles wanting to find a relationship?

whartonjelly 07-25-2007 12:57 PM

I remember seeing on the news once a long time ago. I seriously doubt that the problems are specific to that area.

someone was village bashing. Or probably a wannabe who has no means to change their lifestyle.

It has not influenced me in the least.

I would not have a job! I help deliver babies!!!

Happy Villager 07-25-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestmickey
Gee, some pretty unkind things being said about singles in TV...I'm going to have to rethink my plans. I was hoping TV was going to be a "live and let live" community.
Guess it's not. :'(

While I recognize there are some singles out there who make total fools of themselves, what have you got against singles wanting to find a relationship?

BestMickey, please don't worry about relocating to TV because you are single. All communities have their Desparate Annie's that give some people a chuckle to watch. If your looking for friendship all you need to do is be yourself and join whatever club that shares your interest and I'm sure you will meet plenty of nice people of both sexes. I don't believe anyone is against singles wanting to find a relationship because the majority of us here are married and already enjoy the companionship that some singles desire. It is just the bad publicity or rumors that have circulated in the media this past year. We don't need hookers, molestors or nudist giving TV a bad reputation. We moved here to spend the rest of our lives in a community like no other and a live and let live attitude will only play so far. There is such a thing as community standards and so far I have found TV residents that I have met to be mature and moral.

bestmickey 07-25-2007 06:03 PM

Uhhh....thanks Happy Villager, but your comments aren't convincing. Fess up...we're related, and you're just trying to get me to move there. I need to hear from others. With the comments made in this section, it appears that the couples of TV look down on singles. That being the case, it's not where I want to spend the rest of my years.

There are plenty of other places to live.

At this point, I'm reconsidering and will take the next year to search other alternatives.

handieman 07-25-2007 06:38 PM

OH MY GOD!
"sex in the villages", this is too funny. Of course theres sex in the villages, after all welcome to the 21st century where 60 is now 30 something. Whats wrong with a single woman hittin on a (well he should be single) man?? This is a "friendly" "active" community, what would you expect? I'm sure we don't condone women or men "on the prowl" hittin on the married ones but hey it might be a wakeup call to the spouses who are slacking off on "the homework". I say more power to the lonely ones, there is a life in retirement, so go for it.
PS: Do you think I should open a safe sex/adult toy store?? nahhhhhhhhh OMG did I say that??
Handie (blushing)

PJ 07-25-2007 06:40 PM

Well, Bestmickey, in my opinion, no matter where you move to, there will be people that look down on and criticize singles. That's not limited to TV. Unfortunately it seems that some marrieds may feel threatened by having singles around. I'm single and believe me I don't want to break up anyone's marriage, and do not want anyone who is in a relationship of any kind. TV is still a great place to be.

rsetterlund 07-26-2007 11:35 AM

Bestmickey, Please keep us all informed of your finding when looking for other places to live. There are other communities but do they offer all that TV does.

swrinfla 07-26-2007 12:40 PM

Bestmickey:
I'm inclined to agree with PJ. I moved here as a single (my wife had been gone five years at the time), with no qualms. I must admit that I still wear my wedding ring. I like to say it's protection, but truth be known, I can't get it off! ;D
Anyhow you look at it, this place suits singles very well. There are at least three singles groups I can think of, although I don't participate in any.
There is a story (probably a myth) I heard when I first thought of coming here. Seems a widower bought a nice house on a cul-de-sac without researching who his neighbors might be. When the casseroles and invitations to dinner soon overwhelmed him, he took to booking late afternoon tee times so he could sneak back into his house with being accosted. There were six widows on the street! ;D

Frangyomory 07-26-2007 04:26 PM

Bestmickey, I am NOT anti-singles, just the ones that make a nice restaurant a meat market!

The Villages is a great place to meet people. All you have to do is visit either of the town squares on any given night and you will meet great people, single and married who enjoy the live music and enjoy dancing or watching others dance.

I never could relate to the "meat market" mentality even when I was single. You will not find a better place to live and enjoy your life than you will here. There are many singles groups and they do fun things together. For the most part, people who retire to the Villages are very decent people. I don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch...sounds like a song.....come on down and enjoy yourself. The Villages is a wonderful place to LIVE and enjoy life. :bigthumbsup:

nanci2539 07-27-2007 08:51 AM

I'm glad that you posted Frangy - I've been reading this thread and although I'm married, I agree with you, never had that mentality when I was single.

I have to say, after reading some of the postings about "sex in TV" and hearing that report on STD's, I was having second thoughts about coming to TV.

I was on another message board and posted a question about the cost of living in TV. The first response I got was from a person who stated that TV had the highest number of STD's. When I responded that I wasn't interested in that, was aware of it but it wasn't my question; the poster wrote....

"I would be very concerned about moving to a place whose claim to fame was the highest number of STD"s. Don't these old geezers know about condoms and I for one would never shake the hand of anyone who lived there"

I was about to leave that board when a very nice person wrote and suggested I come to Talk of the Villages for information on the life style. I'm glad I did! I have learned a lot and appreciate all the good advise.

I'm not a prude by any means but I consider myself a respectful married lady. I just can't decipher if this sex thing is out of control or it's just a few single people who haven't fully matured and think it's a way to have fun!

jtdraig 07-27-2007 09:21 AM

The Villages is just like being back in College and that's the bottom line. There are around 65,000 people who live here (snowbirds included). It's a microcosm of America. Lots of advantages and few disadvantages.

Patt 07-27-2007 01:25 PM

Hi to all in TV and the others who are misinformed. This is all so entertaining to read! But please keep an open mind...sex happened with Adam and Eve, Cleopatra embraced it to a fault and it is still going strong. We all have a desire to be recognized, loved and companionship plays a big part. Where it leads from there is up to the individual. We all have will power and know how to advance or decline when 'things' reach
' new territory'. A great movie to watch is Boynton Beach Memoirs, which played at TV's theatre a while back. And remember, we are all humans with desires, feelings and emotions.

Ruby 07-27-2007 06:15 PM

Reply to bestmickey. I agree with many of the comments. This is a great place to live, whether you are single or married. I am widowed and moved to TV over 5 years ago. There are so many things to do (clubs, events, Life Long Learning classes, sports, golf, swimming pools, cards, trips, concerts, polo, softball, tennis, many restaurants, and the nicests/caring neighbors, block get togethers). There is something for everyone. You make your life what you want to make it. It is who you are. The most important thing to remember is to have a positive attitude. If you are a negative person who finds fault with just about everything - that is what you will find. If you are a person who enjoys life, enjoys being with people, and wants to make the most of every day, TV is the place to be. There are all kinds of people in this world. TV is no different. We come from all parts of the world. Life is what you make it. It is up to you to enjoy yourself. You will naturally attract persons like yourself.

DickY 08-30-2007 07:00 AM

Looking at my Google alert on The Villages, Florida was this interesting link to this blog from CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/20482323 :read:

Russ_Boston 08-30-2007 07:32 AM

Priceless!

F16 1UB 08-30-2007 08:38 AM

And this made the news? And I'm supposed to be surprized? :yikes: Nah.

Steve

jjdees 08-30-2007 08:50 AM

Great article Dicky.

JUREK 08-30-2007 09:17 AM

Why didn't I know this before I bought ?? I would have moved sooner LOL :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

islandgal 08-30-2007 09:37 AM

Shortly after I moved here, friends took me to Katie Bell's for lunch and shortly thereafter, I went with a male friend for dinner there. Having been single since 1981, I am very familiar with the singles scenes. Both times, it took only about 10 minutes to realize it is a pick up joint and I haven't been back. However, I have been told by several people that many of the people who prowl there do not live within The Villages.

Taltarzac 08-30-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshunluva
I thought Katie Belle's was a place for RESIDENTS ONLY. I also thought it might be a nice place to go with MY HUSBAND, but if this is the type of actions that go on, forget it. :cus:

I did not see much hanky panky going on at Katie Belle's or the Cattle Baron the times I have been there. Kind of hard for 3, 6, 10, 12, 14, or 16 year old visitors to get in that kind of game described by some bloggers. Visitors of residents can be of all ages at Katie Belles as well as at the Cattle Baron. I suppose if you are an eligible single there, it is a different story.

Speaking of sex in the Villages, The Boytnon Beach Club http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439478/ is coming back to the Villages--- at the Old Mill Playhouse http://movie-times.movies.go.com/mov...theaterId=9182 starting tomorrow, August 31, 2007.

golfnut 08-30-2007 02:02 PM

OK count me in, of course I'll have to clear it with the wife first.

JUREK 08-30-2007 03:06 PM

TALTORZAC:
Would you reccomend either of these movies ? Boyton Beach or the other one ? :dontknow:

Taltarzac 08-30-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUREK
TALTORZAC:
Would you reccomend either of these movies ? Boyton Beach or the other one ? :dontknow:

I had trouble just getting in to see the Boynton Beach Club while it was here in the Villages. It was here a long time, too. Some people did not seem to like it, but most did. I think it is one of those movies that you either love or hate? I enjoyed it. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boyn...eavement_club/

If you are into that old kind of romance in movies like some of those from the 1940s , then the Painted Veil is a good choice. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446755/

JanetandCarol 08-30-2007 08:29 PM

I totally agree with Ruby. My sister and I are single and bought a house in January, 2007. We are still working back in Buffalo New York but plan on coming down when we both retire in 2008. We bought because of the feeling of being in an established community, security, tons of activities and getting out of the snow in the winter. We are looking forward to meeting all kinds of people and making friends. Like Ruby said, you are what you make of it. If you are positive and happy (and why wouldn't you be?) you will enjoy life and living in this great community. We can't wait!!! Janet and Carol

Bubbalarry 09-03-2007 07:19 PM

A couple years ago my wife and I visited TV & KB's along with our friends for dinner using the village dollars. Being a resident to eat and drink wasn't required. That evening during dinner while walking to the rest room I was lassoed by a senior female citizen who dressed up with her hair and clothes similar to CHER pulled me to the dance floor. I explained that I "Had To Go" and she expressed a desire for me to stay. Asking "are you here by yourself"?

So I went. While in the restroom I thought that someone was pulling a joke on me. When I came out she and a couple of her friends stood at the door asking me to join them. I said no thanks, that I am with my friends and my wife and after several more words I won't elaborate on, asked to please be let by. As it turned out the lights were brighter by the door and I could see the woman in her Cher costume.

Her neck was or looked to be close to 80 years old and her face looked like 50. I did not ask her age upon departing but did hear her say that we could meet later after my wife goes to bed.

I haven't visited Kattie Bells since. Now that I read here about things going on in TV, brings back a few laughs I had to share. ;D ;D ;D :edit: :edit: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

EYANKOWSKI 11-15-2007 03:29 PM

I'VE BEEN TO KATIE BELLS SEVERAL TIMES AND NEVER THOUGHT OF IT AS A PICKUP PLACE AND IF IT IS BIG DEAL WERE ALL ADULTS YOU CAN ONLY BE PICKED UP IF YOU
WANT TO BE PICKED UP

travelstiles 11-15-2007 03:53 PM

This is very amusing - so glad I logged on this morning for the laughs!
My husband and I visited in May and went to KB's on the guest plan. We were seated away from the bar, but you couldn't help but notice a few interesting characters dressed to kill by the bar!
The next day we were having lunch at Cane Gardens CC, talking about how much we are looking forward to our move to TV when a gentleman and his wife sitting near us struck up a conversation (they are considering moving to TV as well)
The husband (who said he was 86 years old) told us they were also at KB's the night before and he noticed this striking blond in a cowgirl getup near the bar. When she walked by their table and he got a closer look, he said she had to be 90, but from far away looked much younger! That from an 86 year old - God bless him! :bigthumbsup: