Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What do you like least about the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-do-you-like-least-about-villages-8333/)

Talk Host 04-08-2007 03:25 PM

What do you like least about the Villages

What do you like least about living here? :realmad:

snowbirdgator 04-09-2007 09:27 PM

Re: What do you like least about the Villages

the rude people. i am from the midwest where everyone is so friendly and will be nice and wave and say hello. not here. if you look at someone wrong the will give you a dirty look or even if you pause too long at a stop light, they lay on the horn. what is everyone's deal in this place. i heard this was the place to live when you retire. i am sure thinking otherwise.

Kitria 04-09-2007 09:54 PM

Snowbird..
Where do you travel in the Villages? I live in Orange Blossom Country Club area. Walkers always wave back to my wave..smile when I smile at them..When I travel to the other areas, people still wave back to me. yup..wondering where you travel.

Hmm.. what I don't like..AHH

There is so much that I want to do..and only 24 hours in a day..but hey..that isn't so bad now is it. *winks*

Talk Host 04-10-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowbirdgator
the rude people. i am from the midwest where everyone is so friendly and will be nice and wave and say hello. not here. if you look at someone wrong the will give you a dirty look or even if you pause too long at a stop light, they lay on the horn. what is everyone's deal in this place. i heard this was the place to live when you retire. i am sure thinking otherwise.

I'm astonished. The one thing here in the villages that jumps out at me is that everybody waves and says hello. Everybody. It is my suspicion that some people are just plain grouchy to start with and think that everybody else is as well. Present company excluded :a20:

dandt 04-10-2007 08:29 AM

It's pretty rare to meet a grouch, I agree. Sometimes I think newcomers or visitors seem shocked by the friendliness and react by just staring, but those are exceptions. And yes, some short-timers can be a bit quick with the horn, but those too are exceptions.

Then there are those who present a grouchy face to begin with and get one in return. If you make a friendly appearance you'll certainly get the same in return MOST OF THE TIME.

Nancy Gaulin 04-12-2007 10:06 AM

We visited and loved it and are thinking of relocating there! One instance when folks were not too friendly was when we were attempting to get around with a rented golf cart and found ourselves on the county road and we got lots of honks then but then we were where we should not have been! Some good folks told us how to get back onto the cart travel area and we sure appreciated that!

elcid 04-12-2007 09:04 PM

It's hard to believe that people in the midwest are friendlier than here in the Villages. It's the friendliest place I have been in 50 years. The warm reception of all we met or passed during our many visits enticed us to relocate here. Perhaps you don't act friendly enough to your new surroundings.

mike1472 04-13-2007 11:26 AM

I'm totally shocked. Having spent the winter months in the villages for the first time, i was amazed at the friendliness. My wife and are seriously thinking of buying in the next year because we were so impressed.

jgrob 04-13-2007 07:57 PM

I'm not crazy about the way the houses are crammed in so close to each other. Also, a lot of the activities are kind of "corny". I was embarrased when our friends from Naples came to visit, and one of the exercise classes here was called "giggles & shakes". We're not little kids....

dandt 04-14-2007 06:49 AM

If you were embarrassed, that would be totally your problem! One of the greatest things here is that people are able to pursue activities that they might not be able to elsewhere. What's wrong with giggles and shakes? Maybe it hits too close to home! Some activities, surely, are things I would not consider but that doesn't mean others should not, and it certainly doesn't embarrass me.

And by the way, some of us enjoy being kids -- at least at heart!

sammie223 04-14-2007 07:29 AM

I am wondering if you even TRIED "Giggles and Shakes". It is one of my favorite dance classes. I had never done line dancing before coming South, so I was embarrassed at first but it was too much fun!! The name is what took me to the class to begin with!!

What I like least about The Villages... I am a snowflake, and only here 4-5 months. I do enjoy all my many and varied activities while I am down here and right now I cannot think of a problem. My husband is here a few more months than I and he said his biggest peeve would be the golf course ambassadors. He says they do not do their jobs of moving players along (because they don't want to rub a potential buyer the wrong way) or they interrupt play (esp while putting) to ask about water/sand... :dontknow:

Talk Host 04-14-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammie223
My husband is here a few more months than I and he said his biggest peeve would be the golf course ambassadors. He says they do not do their jobs of moving players along (because they don't want to rub a potential buyer the wrong way) or they interrupt play (esp while putting) to ask about water/sand... :dontknow:

Wow, in the 300 or more times I've played golf here, I have never once had an Ambassador interrupt me while I was putting. Also, they act only according to the instructions given them by the Villages. True, their power is limited, but not by their choosing. I for one would not want to be an ambassador, I am sure they receive plenty of grief from the golfers. I have been embarrassed in the past by the way some of my golfing partners have unnecessarily treated the ambassador.

JLK

vinnie 04-14-2007 09:30 AM

I probably expect too much from the Ambassadors. The interruption on putting or teeing off is their approach to the green or the tee when one is putting or teeing off. Many understand and stay off in the distance unless they are called over.
Best system is flags anyway....ambassadors should be riding with a GREEN Flag unless someone is falling behind and then he can change the Green Flag that is on his cart to a YELLOW flag as a CAUTION. Then approach with a Red Flag to push them along. This way, confrontation is unnecessary. All Ambassador has to do is change the GREEN flag on his cart to a YELLOW flag..noticeable to anyone in the foursome to move along.

REDCART 04-14-2007 12:22 PM

I may be part of the next generation but the one thing which bothers me (and I can live with it) is the lack of good beer in The Villages' restaurants. Arnold Palmer was the only place where I recall them offering Guinness and Sam Adams. Everywhere else, they serve the usual all-American collection of Bud, Coors, Miller, and Red Dog. Otherwise, there's not much to complain about in The Villages.

sparky 04-14-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie

Best system is flags anyway....ambassadors should be riding with a GREEN Flag unless someone is falling behind and then he can change the Green Flag that is on his cart to a YELLOW flag as a CAUTION. Then approach with a Red Flag to push them along. This way, confrontation is unnecessary. All Ambassador has to do is change the GREEN flag on his cart to a YELLOW flag..noticeable to anyone in the foursome to move along.

:agree:The Flag System works great. We used them on the courses where I lived before coming to The Villages. I've mentioned it a few times, even on the Survey but it doesn't look like they want to change. Yellow meant hurry it up and red meant pick up and go to the next hole.

jjdees 04-15-2007 09:18 AM

Sounds like they're using the politically correct approach, please don't offend anybody, please!!!!! I've worked at several golf courses and the players all respected the rangers/ambassadors efforts to keep the game moving. Nobody wants a 5 hour plus round because a group doesn't have any idea what the protocol is on a course. I once had a single golfer holding up a foursome! The offenders usually accept the request from the ranger to get moving because they know they're falling behind. For those who take offense to that, they don't belong on the course. The course management should much rather have one upset group than the twenty behind them. I'm very surprised that the Villages courses would take the tiptoe around them approach. Why flags? Talk to the offenders.

dandt 04-15-2007 11:36 AM

It took awhile, since there's very little not to like, but it dawned on me that something I've griped about ever since arriving is the lack of concern about recycling. We do recycle nearly everything, but it means frequent trips to the recycle center in Weirsdale (Marion County residents only). Phone books? Not even the recycle center will accept them. (This strikes me as ironic in that The Villages Daily Sun had a feature photo of a campaign to recycle phone books a month or so ago.)

Aluminum cans -- easy. Newspapers -- not too difficult. Glass, plastic, non-aluminum cans, non-newspaper paper -- it seems a crime to send it all off to landfill or wherever our trash goes.

Kathie 04-16-2007 09:59 AM

Oh thanks for bringing that up, here's my chance to vent. Drivers of automobiles who are TOO LAZY TO RAISE OR LOWER THEIR HAND TO USE THEIR FLIPPIN TURN SIGNALS... DUH, IT REALLY DOESN'T REQUIRE EXCESS ENERGY. THANK YOU. :dontknow:

Talk Host 04-16-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathie
Oh thanks for bringing that up, here's my chance to vent. Drivers of automobiles who are TOO LAZY TO RAISE OR LOWER THEIR HAND TO USE THEIR FLIPPIN TURN SIGNALS... DUH, IT REALLY DOESN'T REQUIRE EXCESS ENERGY. THANK YOU. :dontknow:

Kathie,
You have hit the nail on the head. Not only are they lazy, but if they don't signal their intentions, they could kill somebody. I'm sure they don't want to do that.

JLK

PJ 04-16-2007 05:50 PM

I think the trash pickup, and lack of re-cycling here is a little disturbing. It seems so backwards, and behind-the-times. I am pretty sure that most of us were accustomed to putting our trash and different types of recyclable items into separate containers before moving here, for the past several years -- newspapers, cardboard, different types of plastic, etc, etc...

When I moved here, and attended orientation, I was told that our trash all gets taken to the prison, and is picked through and separated by the prisoners! I was pretty surprised, and of course always make sure I use my shredder diligently for anything that has my name or any type of ID or info that could be stolen and used by a prisoner, or sent to their friends on the outside! I've mentioned this to a few people here, and some of them weren't aware that this was where our trash goes. (I guess The Villages orientation isn't standardized!)

I think it is ridiculous to have prisoners do our recycling for us, when we could do it ourselves. They should have the prisoners do something more meaningful, useful, or more needed.

hddeuce 04-16-2007 07:28 PM

The circles and bad drivers.
People who insist in going aroound the circles in the inner lane and then cutting you off as they turn right in front of you while you are continuing around the circle in the outer lane. All in all the drivers of cars are terrible; and the cart drivers are generally worse.

tomahawk 04-22-2007 12:28 PM

I agree with the complaint about the drivers who refuse to use turn signals...I get the feeling that most of them are so dumb that they do not know what they are or what they are for....there would be a heck of a lot less accidents if these jerks would signal their intentions :dontknow:javascript:void(0);

JohnZ 04-22-2007 03:58 PM

Tomahawk: I wouldn't say dumb. I would say lazy....very lazy AND inconsiderate.

gingersmom 04-25-2007 11:58 AM

The thing I like least about the Villages is the terrible condition of the cart paths on north side of 466. They are so cracked and bumpy and jarring. Also, they're too narrow.

JohnZ 04-25-2007 12:13 PM

gingersmom:

Sounds like what you need is one of those jacked-up "Hummer" golf carts I've seen. Opt for the nitrogen-shock absorbers, 15 inch wheels and...... don't forget about the "Rhino" cage for those "close-calls". Ahhhh but I agree.....the better solution would have The Villages invest a little on the forgotten north-side. Things have been going to seed a little bit.

ladykathleen 04-29-2007 03:47 PM

Kathleen:

I very much dislike renters. We live here, they don't and act like they are in a resort. Renters are usually accompanied by little forever "yipping" dogs. There are so many homes in the Villages that are rented. I am so happy to see the really hot weather come so that renters go away.
I also very much dislike loud, screaming kids in a pool. I thought we had moved to a retirement community not Disneyland.

GERALDINE 05-14-2007 11:08 PM

We always go to the "Family Pools" because we enjoy seeing the young ones playing. We get really tired of seeing "flabby old farts" all the time. That's one of the things I dislike about The Villages...there's a lot of "old" people. Not that I'm any "spring chicken"...having just turned 60, but I really enjoy seeing the young people that are here visiting. The other thing I really dislike is the ranch houses neighborhoods...one of which I live in...all the houses look the same and there is no originality with any of them. I really think the developers could have opted for some different facades on the ranches...to give each neighborhood a more "distinct" look. I also have to agree with one of the other posts that the houses are just crammed in and that only adds to the "tackiness" of the neighborhoods. A lot of the streets remind me of a post WW II era housing development.

LindaManson 05-15-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandt
If you were embarrassed, that would be totally your problem! One of the greatest things here is that people are able to pursue activities that they might not be able to elsewhere. What's wrong with giggles and shakes? Maybe it hits too close to home! Some activities, surely, are things I would not consider but that doesn't mean others should not, and it certainly doesn't embarrass me.

And by the way, some of us enjoy being kids -- at least at heart!

:agree: I agree whole heartedly!!! There are what??? 1500 clubs/organizations in the villages??? Something for EVERYONE!!! True I cannot see myself twirling a baton (although I did it in Highschool) or dressing in Red and Purple for a Red Hat event (not my colors) I do truly enjoy watching all the different groups perform. I'm not a clogger, but those ladies really step out!! Belly Dancing?? Not with this Belly!! :-) But I like to see those ladies having so much fun. And as for the giggles and Shakes...Bite your tongue!!! If you haven't participated, then you haven't a clue what the group is all about, and I bet a nickle you couldn't keep up! That is a great way to get out, have fun and get in shape and healthy. Embarrassed?? not on your life? and I bet your Naples frineds weren't either. If they were then shame on them too!

Autoshow 05-15-2007 04:29 PM

What did you expect from a retirement community,at 60 years old(my personal opinion is that you possibly think you are a youngster yourself) you are not a spring chicken,Secondly you saw the homes and the lay out at the Villages,if you did not like it ,you should have bought somewhere else,and the reason for the small lots are that elderly people do not want to be burdoned with cutting grass and other out door maintenance. We would rather spend our time playing golf and enjoying other activities. If you are so unhappy you should probably leave.

efawj 07-10-2007 02:53 PM

The lack of full-time jobs that will allow me to stay here! I'm not retired and it is expensive to live here. Most business act like it is a "privilege" for me to work for them and that I'm working for a hobby. It is demeaning to be offered 1982 wages for 25 years worth of experience. The Villages HR are dictatorial and rude most of the time. I feel jobs in the Villages should go to Villages residents first and outsiders second.

Frangyomory 07-10-2007 06:58 PM

A subject I can really respond to. What don't I like about the Villages.

First of all, I wouldn't live anywhere else. This is not just a community of houses, it is a wonderful lifestyle for people who are retired and want to live here full time. We appreciate all the activities and don't feel embarrassed at all to share it all with family and friends when they visit. My nephews who are in their late 30's have said they can see why we love this place and they hope they can live here when they retire!

Now, for dislikes. I resent the fact that the Daily Sun does NOT publish all the news. You will rarely see any "bad" news about things that happen in the Villages in the Sun. For example, in recent weeks, there have been five break-ins in the Village of Tall Trees alone. This information came from the Sumter Sheriff's Department. I have NEVER seen a word about it in our local "newspaper" which I consider the funny paper! We are not so old and frail that we can't handle the truth and we need to know about crimes in the Villages so we can protect ourselves and our homes.

Secondly, I wish the sales staff had been more truthful with us when we were looking at homes. Regardless of what I have since found out, I would still have selected the Villages but we were not told about the fact that we, as courtyard villa owners, were responsible for repair and replacement of the stucco walls if they were damaged or destroyed. We are now told "it is in your paperwork" but unfortunately, we didn't read all the small print.

We were told that our amenities would be grandfathered but we have had two increases in the two years we have lived here. Because we have excellent amenities, I really don't mind the increase but it would have been nice to be told the truth.

The issue of the "bond" was never fully explained to us. Had it been, I would not have been so resentful when I had to make out that very large check to avoid having what could have amounted to something like a second mortgage payment.

Living in Villas, we are very restricted as to what we can do landscaping-wise, etc. The so-called Neighborhood Watch drives around the Villas telling us to remove items we have placed on our property such as a small table and chair. This only applies to Villas as we are more restricted than other home sites.

All this being said, again, I still would not move out of the Villages. There is simply no other place with such a wonderful lifestyle for retirees.

One last thing, I am tired of local businesses thinking we are all rich since the developer advertises..."Live the Millionaire Lifestyle". I am enjoying life but I am not a millionaire and don't live like one!

Sorry I rambled on but these are pet peeves of mine.

ditzyfitzy 07-10-2007 10:29 PM

I do not live in The Villages, yet.* Are you saying that you can't put what you want in your own yard if you own a courtyard villa?* Does this mean only in the front--or are there restrictions on the backyard as well?
Thanks,
Lynn

mike1946 07-11-2007 03:33 AM

Absolutely love the villages and would live there longer if the government would let me (I'm a Brit and am restricted to 6 months)

Pet Hates. Driver who don't know how to drive a circle - if you are in the outside lane you are exiting at the next exit !! therefore you can't get cut across !! if you are going further around the circle you use the inside lane and move to outside when you want to exit (using your turn signal) - Village drivers don't ever hire a car in the UK and drive like you do in the villages - you will probably die within a day !!

Restaurants that close at 9pm - GRRRR - also don't take reservations meaning you wait for ages till gone 8 o clock and then the place closes down around your ears !!! Most places in the UK don't even OPEN till 7 o clock ...why does everyone have to eat so early !!!

Never heard of anyone being restricted on what they put in their yard - I live in country club hills and some of the yard decorations are really quirky and fun - for all you new folks take a ride over to the hysterical (historical) side and see bigger lots and big trees - the best pool - the best (and cheapest) course and lots of relaxed friendly folk.

Slight pet hate - Lack of awareness - people will stop and chat in a doorway whilst you are trying to get past or in the middle of an aisle in Publix etc. it happens quite a lot - also people who ignore the one way system in the publix car park on Bichera Blvd.

Everything else is just fine - however (nothing to do with the villages) I find USA bureaucracy and lack of flexibility and form filling to be absolutely horrendous !!

Sorry I've rambled on - cheers all - continue this chat at the Tikki Bar at OBH between dec-may

Frangyomory 07-11-2007 06:25 AM

In order to do anything in the FRONT yard you need permission from the architectural committee. The back yard is ok for what you want unless you want to remove a tree planted by the developer.

The front yards are limited so that the courtyard villas continue to look the same. We can't paint our driveway or put lawn decorations out. I am told the reason for this comes from the historic side where they have all kinds of lawn decorations because they had no restrictions and some are a bit gaudy.

Courtyard villas can decorate for holidays but don't expect to be able to put any concrete decorations on your front lawn or to paint your driveway. Also, when you paint your home outside, you must continue to use the original color.

Just a bit of information for you.

BethS 07-16-2007 04:53 PM

I Love the Villages!!! There is something for everyone, I live north of 441 and we have 3 pools for use here unless we want to travel a bit further across the bridge. One is for Families, a nice pool and I frequent it often. Two are adult pools, one with a hot tub and they are open till 11:00 each night, how can you beat that? We have great neighbors and each yard is decorated to the taste of the owner, gaudy to some maybe but it is someones home and if thats what they love then I respect that. Thats what makes the world go round and remember we do have choices here, we live in the good old USA.

mike1946 07-17-2007 03:17 AM

Back on the 'front yard' question again - I live on the 4th Tee of OBH and when they remodelled the course and changed the tee's I bought the old granite tee market ..its a about 8 feet long (3 feet in the ground) 15 inches wide and 4 inches thick and weighs 800 lbs - I set it up in my front yard and it stands about 5 1/2 feet high ..lots of folks passing stop and remark on how good it looks and ask why it's there etc ..I've met loads of folks that way - I jokingly tell them that it is the original tee and that they then built the houses in the way !! Ha Ha !!

billethkid 07-17-2007 09:23 AM

While TV is referred to the friendliest home town, there is a significant percentage of these so called friendlies that turn into nasty, rude and very dangerous when they get behind the wheel of their car.
If you use your turn signal to get over they close the gap.
They will just short of run you down in a traffic circle.
They will cut you off in a heart beat.
They ride your bumper when one does the speed limit.

Just where do all these retired people have to get to in such a hurry....speeding in The Villages is terrible.

I just spent 6 weeks in Tennessee and did not have one road altercation until I got back yesterday.

The Villages Drivers (a certain percent) are just plain nasty people!!!!

BTK