Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   World of Beer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/world-beer-87056/)

BarryRX 09-01-2013 02:54 PM

World of Beer

Stopped by Brownwood on the way back from our Sunday ride and saw that World of Beer was open. They were mobbed so my wife and I didn't stay, but I look forward to trying some of the Belgian beers they have.

rubicon 09-01-2013 03:35 PM

Wonder how they are going to price their products??

Cobh521 09-01-2013 04:55 PM

Wen to the soft opening today. You needed a ticket. Beer prices are high compared to other establishments in the villages. The beer we wanted was $7.00 per beer. They also require a credit card to run a tab. We did that and told our waitress she never brought our card back. She had actually messed up and charged someone else's beer and food to our card. I recognized the card she was carrying around and she never acknowledged that she made a mistake.

Bogie Shooter 09-01-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobh521 (Post 737464)
Wen to the soft opening today. You needed a ticket. Beer prices are high compared to other establishments in the villages. The beer we wanted was $7.00 per beer. They also require a credit card to run a tab. We did that and told our waitress she never brought our card back. She had actually messed up and charged someone else's beer and food to our card. I recognized the card she was carrying around and she never acknowledged that she made a mistake.

Soft opening, right? Isn't that where they try to work out the bugs?
MG, they are not even officially open and getting slammed already.
Can't wait to read the posts in another week.

SpicyCajunPugs 09-01-2013 06:56 PM

Please lets give this new restaurant a chance...they just opened and need to work out the bugs. We need more restaurants down south and instant negative publicity will not help. Everyone knew world of beer will be higher priced because of the atmosphere, decor, and the great expensive beers they offer, so lets compare apples to apples and beers to beers. Can't wait to try it !!!

gomoho 09-01-2013 07:11 PM

With those prices it will be very difficult for them to compete.

LittleDog 09-01-2013 07:14 PM

What kind of food do they serve?

John

anarick 09-01-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt (Post 737522)
What kind of food do they serve?

John

Beer nuts. :beer3:

Rickg 09-01-2013 07:43 PM

I tried To get in there tonight, but I couldn't even get a place at the bar after 20 minutes. They were packed I had to go to city fire which wasn't all that crowded. I'm looking forward to trying it.

birdawg 09-01-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarick (Post 737539)
Beer nuts. :beer3:

No thats the customer's Hi Rick

Mallory 09-01-2013 07:46 PM

As to food, my understanding from visiting other World of Beer locations is that they typically do not serve food but you can bring your own. One location I visited had take-out menus from other local establishments and would order it.

It's a craft and specialty beer establishment. If you like brands like Dogfish Head, Lagunitas, SweetWater Brewing, and Cigar City it will be great. If you're more into Coors, Miller, and Bud Light it may not be a the place for you. I wouldn't expect too many $1 16 oz. drafts.

Personally, I can't wait for the 11 AM opening on Labor Day.

BarryRX 09-01-2013 07:55 PM

If you're going to compare this place to happy hour $2 yeunglings at the country clubs, then this is not the place for you. But, if you'd like to try a bunch of beers that are unusual and generally not available in this area, then this might be a place to try. I've liked beer for a long time, and for most of my life I've been very happy with a Bud or a Miller. But when the craft beer revolution happened in the 90's, I found that learning about different beers and tasting and enjoying them was a nice hobby. For me, I'm willing to pay the higher prices for the new experiences. I recognize that there are others who aren't. If you do go, and are a little overwhelmed by all the choices, they offer a flight of 4 of the seasonal beers on tap. Beer tasting is as much fun as wine tasting, and in beer tasting we don't spit! John.....I did see some pub grub on their menu, but since we didn't stay I didn't take a close look at it.

Villageswimmer 09-01-2013 07:56 PM

Just a guess, but it seems like it would be difficult making the business profitable if they don't sell any food. Maybe I'm wrong. Have been before (many times, in fact.)

Cobh521 09-01-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 737498)
Soft opening, right? Isn't that where they try to work out the bugs?
MG, they are not even officially open and getting slammed already.
Can't wait to read the posts in another week.

You are talking about me slamming them. I realize they need or work out the kinks but not with my credit card!

lpkshop 09-01-2013 08:52 PM

Hubby and I stopped in tonight .hopping place premium prices but we are used to that coming from NYC. Had a blueberry wheat withe blueberries VERY good. Not as good as thrones I had outside Fenway but good. Also had a tangerine wheat . We will be back!

Villager Audio Video 09-01-2013 10:03 PM

My neighbor applied to work there, she told me that this is the 1st location to serve food.

Skip 09-01-2013 10:17 PM

We got invites to their soft opening tonight and chose to sit outside. Erin was our server. My better half had a Young's Double Stout and I had a Local Coast Tangerine Wheat. Our friends had Black & Tan, Florida Avenue Ale, Left Hand Sawtooth Nitro and a Delirium Tremens. They were all on the house. Entertainment, raffles and lots of partying inside in an overwhelming noise level. At the end of her shift, Erin will have put in 14 hours in one stretch. We met Adam too. This place will be packed when the snowbirds come back, so try it now before the article about their Grand Opening gets in the Daily Sun.

Skip

Skip 09-01-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVillagesAV.com (Post 737627)
My neighbor applied to work there, she told me that this is the 1st location to serve food.

Not true. Other locations have their Tavern Fare too.

Skip

SpicyCajunPugs 09-01-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryRX (Post 737555)
If you're going to compare this place to happy hour $2 yeunglings at the country clubs, then this is not the place for you. But, if you'd like to try a bunch of beers that are unusual and generally not available in this area, then this might be a place to try. I've liked beer for a long time, and for most of my life I've been very happy with a Bud or a Miller. But when the craft beer revolution happened in the 90's, I found that learning about different beers and tasting and enjoying them was a nice hobby. For me, I'm willing to pay the higher prices for the new experiences. I recognize that there are others who aren't. If you do go, and are a little overwhelmed by all the choices, they offer a flight of 4 of the seasonal beers on tap. Beer tasting is as much fun as wine tasting, and in beer tasting we don't spit! John.....I did see some pub grub on their menu, but since we didn't stay I didn't take a close look at it.

Your post is right on, and as an avid beer taster who loves her dark and mysterious german brews, I look forward to trying some of their unusual beers. It is not for the price conscious, and I will not spend all my entertainment hours there for that reason, but it will be fun on occassion to splurge.:icon_wink:

billethkid 09-01-2013 10:52 PM

"Soft" openings are usually not intended to work out the bugs and train.
The better run retailers and food establishments will always do their training and debugging before opening....hard or soft.
Incidents like the misuse of a patron's card without comment are a sure sign of inexperience...and that may be more than just the server.

I would like to think things like this are isolated incidents and they are for the most part ready to go.

I have participated in several soft openings, specifically soliciting customer reactions and making changes if need be and then have a knock em dead grand opening.

As has already been stated if you are looking for TV happy hour 2 for ones, this is not the place for you. They will no doubt run special promotions of one type or another......but not like Yingling twofers.

Remember if there is something you did not like ask for the owner/manager...it is the only way to help them be successful.

btk

karostay 09-02-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 737639)
"Soft" openings are usually not intended to work out the bugs and train.
The better run retailers and food establishments will always do their training and debugging before opening....hard or soft.
Incidents like the misuse of a patron's card without comment are a sure sign of inexperience...and that may be more than just the server.

I would like to think things like this are isolated incidents and they are for the most part ready to go.

I have participated in several soft openings, specifically soliciting customer reactions and making changes if need be and then have a knock em dead grand opening.

As has already been stated if you are looking for TV happy hour 2 for ones, this is not the place for you. They will no doubt run special promotions of one type or another......but not like Yingling twofers.

Remember if there is something you did not like ask for the owner/manager...it is the only way to help them be successful.

btk

:pray::wave::beer3: Hit the nail square on the head..Great Post

Bonny 09-02-2013 06:52 AM

We went yesterday. We had a ticket which got you a free beer. They were letting people in without tickets. I'm not a beer drinker, but I did try a couple that were very good and they were $4.00. Big glasses.
Several menu items. Appetizers, a giant pretzel, salads, flatbreads, burgers, sliders, grilled cheese, rueben and other things.
They will have a hard time with mixed drinks. $5.00 and up.
Not really a full bar. Lots of things they didn't have.
I hope they do well. Everyone was enjoying their beer. Didn't hear much complaining from the beer drinkers about the prices. We had several friends that were there.

AriaGrandparents2013 09-02-2013 07:33 AM

Saw this on the **************.com.......food on the table.

World of Beer opening today at Brownwood Paddock Square - **************: The Villages, Lady Lake, Wildwood, Fruitland Park

asianthree 09-02-2013 09:13 AM

at least they will be open late

Bonny 09-02-2013 09:43 AM

So here is what I drank at World of Beer yesterday. I told them I like Coors Light. So I had the Narragansett Lager. It was very good. Gary got the Radeberger Pilsner. I drank 1/2 of his. It was good. I also tried Florida Native Lager and Whittekerke which were all good. Mine was $4.00 in a large glass.

asianthree 09-02-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 737822)
So here is what I drank at World of Beer yesterday. I told them I like Coors Light. So I had the Narragansett Lager. It was very good. Gary got the Radeberger Pilsner. I drank 1/2 of his. It was good. I also tried Florida Native Lager and Whittekerke which were all good. Mine was $4.00 in a large glass.

$4 for a how many ounce? fat tire is $6 for 12oz

Bonny 09-02-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 737832)
$4 for a how many ounce? fat tire is $6 for 12oz

It was a big glass. My guess it was a 20 oz. glass. Bigger then the 14 oz. glasses I see some use.

Villageswimmer 09-02-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 (Post 737732)

Thanks for posting. Looks like a fun place. Can't wait to try it. I hope they do well.

Ohiogirl 09-02-2013 11:19 AM

pints

Craft beers are typically sold in pints (16 oz), sometimes Imperial pints (20 oz). There is a World of Beer in Columbus, OH, where we are this summer, but only Ohioboy has been to this one. There has been some kind of craft beer explosion here in Ohio since we've been back - some kind of law change in the liquor licensing. There are numerous places where you can have a growler filled.

Anyone know if you can fill a growler at World of Beer in The Villages? Not sure what the Florida laws on this are.

elevatorman 09-02-2013 11:47 AM

Growlers not allowed in FL. Florida's "growler bill" dies in the Senate - southflorida.com

stephsan 09-02-2013 02:09 PM

Exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpicyCajunPugs (Post 737512)
Please lets give this new restaurant a chance...they just opened and need to work out the bugs. We need more restaurants down south and instant negative publicity will not help. Everyone knew world of beer will be higher priced because of the atmosphere, decor, and the great expensive beers they offer, so lets compare apples to apples and beers to beers. Can't wait to try it !!!

I have been to many other WOB's and was excitedly waiting for this one to open! This is huge for The Villages! If you are the $2 Bud person this is most likely NOT the place for you. They do have wine and mixed drinks but if you LOVE good craft beer then carry on! Double Chocolate Stout, IPA, Double IPAs, German Wheat, oh the choices are endless..... Enjoy!!
:loco:

asianthree 09-02-2013 05:30 PM

yup wine but not a great list..so go with the beer

DougB 09-02-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 738176)
yup wine but not a great list..so go with the beer

Hence the name World of Beer instead of World of Wine I suppose.

DougB 09-02-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephsan (Post 738038)
I have been to many other WOB's and was excitedly waiting for this one to open! This is huge for The Villages! If you are the $2 Bud person this is most likely NOT the place for you. They do have wine and mixed drinks but if you LOVE good craft beer then carry on! Double Chocolate Stout, IPA, Double IPAs, German Wheat, oh the choices are endless..... Enjoy!!
:loco:

That's the spirit! When a beer joint opens up it's considered something "huge".:beer3:

Eve2278 09-02-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 737822)

You made me laugh! Didn't you say you were not a beer drinker in a previous post..sounds like a change is coming on.:beer3:

gomoho 09-02-2013 06:47 PM

I love a good IPA, but won't be happy if I have to pay more than $4. Just my opinion.

Bogie Shooter 09-02-2013 06:51 PM

What Cliff told Norm about beer.

One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson:
"Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this.. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members! ; In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers

bluedog103 09-02-2013 07:00 PM

Good one Bogie! Really funny.

Bonny 09-02-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eve2278 (Post 738188)
You made me laugh! Didn't you say you were not a beer drinker in a previous post..sounds like a change is coming on.:beer3:

Nope I drink about 3 - 5 beers a year. Just wanted to give things a try and check everything out.

tainsley 09-03-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 738231)
One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson:
"Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this.. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members! ; In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers

Thanks for the laugh!