Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Village of Fruitland Park (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/village-fruitland-park-88684/)

Chinook 09-17-2013 11:59 PM

Village of Fruitland Park

Can anyone clarify for me who is developing the Village of Fruitland Park? I saw on a news web site there is a plan for about 2000 new houses in Fruitland and I cannot determine if Morse is developing this or another builder.
Something about golf cart accessibility was also mentioned.
Thanks,
Sue:wave:

mulligan 09-18-2013 06:15 AM

TV has an option on that land, and is negotiating with Fruitland Park about permitting, zoning, utilities, etc. Should be settled in a couple of months. It looks like it will connect to TV over near Sarasota.

OldManTime 09-18-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinook (Post 747868)
Can anyone clarify for me who is developing the Village of Fruitland Park? I saw on a news web site there is a plan for about 2000 new houses in Fruitland and I cannot determine if Morse is developing this or another builder.
Something about golf cart accessibility was also mentioned.
Thanks,
Sue:wave:

The Villages developer is, meeting tomorrow by Fruitland Park commission

janmcn 09-18-2013 10:18 AM

Anyone planning on attending tomorrow night's meeting better get there early as the hall only holds 100 people and they are expecting a large crowd.

graciegirl 09-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 748119)
Anyone planning on attending tonight's meeting better get there early as the hall only holds 100 people and they are expecting a large crowd.

http://www.*******************/fruit...sino-building/

Why?

Bogie Shooter 09-18-2013 11:20 AM

Why would villages residents attend this meeting?

janmcn 09-18-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 748151)
Why would villages residents attend this meeting?

Maybe to see the plans and road improvements and any future commercial developments. This development will impact those living close to the east side of CR466A.

bluedog103 09-18-2013 12:29 PM

They probably expect a large crowd from Fruitland Park. 4000 residents from TV moving into their town will change it forever. Unless someone stands to make money on this Villages expansion they're likely to oppose it. The 2012 census shows the population of Fruitland Park at a little over 4000 residents. I think there's also the issue of golf cart access. Presently Fruitland Park allows golf carts on some streets. It's not likely that the developer will want to grant these carts access to TV.

Bogie Shooter 09-18-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 748190)
Maybe to see the plans and road improvements and any future commercial developments. This development will impact those living close to the east side of CR466A.

east side? 466A runs east and west.
I think village residents would just be taking up seats from the Fruitland Park residents. We will see he road changes and commercial development when it happens.

mulligan 09-18-2013 01:35 PM

TV residents would have no standing in the meeting.

Snookie 09-18-2013 02:49 PM

Morse wants to develop the Village of Fruitland Park.
Fruitland Park wanted to have use of our Rec Centers and Morse said it is not going to happen. Fruitland Park now wants Morse to build them a rec center.

If it is a go it will be a double edged sword for Fruitland Park.

1. They will be under our control in the fact that we will have a voting majority with us out numbering the people living in Fruitland Park.

2. The other side is that they will loose millions of dollars in taxes, if they do not let us build. Those are their trade offs as I see it.

I think Morse will build them their own rec center and say "Here it is, you staff it and take care of it we are done with it." This is only my guess.

Snookie:wave::wave::wave:

graciegirl 09-18-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookie (Post 748305)
Fruitland Park wanted to have use of our Rec Centers and Morse said it is not going to happen. Fruitland Park now wants Morse to build them a rec center.

If it is a go it will be a double edged sword for Fruitland Park.

1. They will be under our control in the fact that we will have a voting majority with us out numbering the people living in Fruitland Park.

2. The other side is that they will loose millions of dollars in taxes, if they do not let us build. Those are their trade offs as I see it.

I think Morse will build them their own rec center and say "Here it is, you staff it and take care of it we are done with it." This is only my guess.

Snookie:wave::wave::wave:

We will see. I say he will not have to build them a rec center and they will let him buy and develop the land on his terms.

shcisamax 09-18-2013 03:35 PM

Place your bets.

Patty55 09-18-2013 03:44 PM

I'm betting on TV.

travelguy 09-18-2013 06:09 PM

but are they serving refreshments?

njbchbum 09-18-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

snipped

snookie - did you read this on-line somewhere - if so, is it still on-line to read. it fascinates me! thanx

champion6 09-18-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Personally, I think this is rumor and hearsay.

graciegirl 09-18-2013 08:43 PM

One of the first meetings with Fruitland Park was covered by the online paper The ************** during the wall fiasco. The story seemed to connect the wall with this meeting.

I am guessing the precedent of golf cart accessibility of other folks from Lake County. Fruitland Park is in Lake County too.

I don't think the story made the connection, I may have, just thinking....

What worries me...is that this may be the last set of homes to be built here.

I feel in my bones the Morse bunch cares what happens to the building crews and all of the people employed in the support areas of this business.

I am wondering if they will start another town for seniors somewhere else in Florida...or maybe Texas?

THIS IS A RUMOR STARTED BY ME.

njbchbum 09-18-2013 09:18 PM

thanx for the memory jog, gracie.

i recall the 8/12 villages news article that stated, 'For sure, a deal breaker appears to be a golf cart path along County Road 466A that would allow Fruitland Park residents to travel by golf cart to Publix at Colony Plaza Shopping Center.'

but i do not recall reading anything further about allowing access to villages rec centers or building a rec center for f.p. residents. i, too, fear that such info is a rumor [spun out of control] as champion6 posted.

champion6 09-18-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 748533)
What worries me...is that this may be the last set of homes to be built here.

Well, TV already owns 613 acres immediately south of the proposed Fruitland Park development. So there is the possibility of about 2,000 more homes in addition to the about 2,000 in Fruitland Park.

Chinook 09-18-2013 09:47 PM

Am I correct in my understanding that the proposed Village of Fruitland Park is another Village in addition to all the Villages in existence currently? It is just located in the city of Fruitland Park? It would be part of the Villages developed by Morse with all the typical amenities, i.e. pool, rec center etc?

graciegirl 09-18-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinook (Post 748589)
Am I correct in my understanding that the proposed Village of Fruitland Park is another Village in addition to all the Villages in existence currently? It is just located in the city of Fruitland Park? It would be part of the Villages developed by Morse with all the typical amenities, i.e. pool, rec center etc?

Just another village, adjacent to Hadley.

chuckinca 09-18-2013 11:44 PM

If it's just another village and adjacent to a current village why no golf cart access? What about access to other villages amenities?

mulligan 09-19-2013 05:58 AM

The access refered to is for carts from fruitland park by non-villages residents.

gomoho 09-19-2013 07:22 AM

Gracie - I vote for your Texas rumor!!!

graciegirl 09-19-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 748573)
Well, TV already owns 613 acres immediately south of the proposed Fruitland Park development. So there is the possibility of about 2,000 more homes in addition to the about 2,000 in Fruitland Park.

Confused as to direction, Champion6, but know you are reliable, I THOUGHT they had acquired more land..but thought it to be south of 466A? as you said. I thought all of this had to do with a dairy farm on the north side of 466A and east of The Villages area.

Unconfuse me someone.

(Sweetie thinks that would be impossible)

Has anyone read the story in **************? I will go look. Meta Minton covers those meetings.

BobnBev 09-19-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 748231)
TV residents would have no standing in the meeting.

Only if they took all the seat and left the others standing...:popcorn:

graciegirl 09-19-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 748733)

I can't see how attending that meeting would be a benefit to anyone other than the folks negotiating to build or the ones who have the power to let them build.

We who live here know what a good place this is. I don't know where the potential taxes would go, to the county? Would Fruitland park potentially get a share of the property taxes? In the areas of The Villages that are inside the Lady Lake area, how does that work? Do you pay taxes to the county and to the municipality of Lady Lake?

rhsgypsylady 09-19-2013 08:26 AM

The rumor I heard is that TV is going to build a school for Fruitland Park, not a rec center. I guess time will tell what is rumor and what is true.

graciegirl 09-19-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhsgypsylady (Post 748741)
The rumor I heard is that TV is going to build a school for Fruitland Park, not a rec center. I guess time will tell what is rumor and what is true.

I doubt that too. Unless the share of taxes they get would be used for building a school. If they get taxes directly instead of the county.

When Morse built the Charter Schools he was doing it with a business eye, knowing that reliable workers would be attracted to a good school for their children. Who knows, he may have the softest heart, but he is a very good business man and good business runs on margins.

If you build a school to get property, than the cost of the school will be added to the cost of the property and that will be passed on to the buyer. His model keeps the price fairly even and pretty much similar to market increases elsewhere.

njbchbum 09-19-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 748712)
Confused as to direction, Champion6, but know you are reliable, I THOUGHT they had acquired more land..but thought it to be south of 466A? as you said. I thought all of this had to do with a dairy farm on the north side of 466A and east of The Villages area.

Unconfuse me someone.

(Sweetie thinks that would be impossible)

Has anyone read the story in **************? I will go look. Meta Minton covers those meetings.

gracie - here's the villages news orig 8/12 article:

Fruitland Park ponders potential future impact of The Villages

August 12, 2013 By Site Admin 57 Comments

The Fruitland Park City Commission in a workshop Monday evening debated the pros and cons of allowing Florida’s Friendliest Hometown into The Friendly City.

The Villages wants to purchase acreage on County Road 466A across from Burke’s Barbecue restaurant. The acreage would be within Fruitland Park’s boundaries.

“Do you ultimately want the Villages?” Mayor Christopher Bell asked his fellow commissioners. “I would say it is too early to decide. I have to say I have a lot of concerns reading through the developers’ agreement. But I have an open mind.”

Commissioner John Gunter Jr. said it is undeniable that allowing The Villages in would dramatically change Fruitland Park.

“They are going to have 4,000 residents and 90 percent of them vote. So we are going to see them on our boards,” Gunter said. “Fifteen years from now, 20 years from now when the roads start deteriorating and the pipes start to disintegrate what are we going to do? (The Villages) will be in and out in two years.”

But Commissioner Christopher Chesire said this might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Fruitland Park and that’s what commissioners should make their focus.

“It’s kind of sad if we are worried about getting voted out of office,” Chesire said.

Some of the specific issues:

• The Fruitland Park Post Office.

“As long as they can use the vanity name ‘The Villages,’ which they have literally spent millions on in advertising. And as long it doesn’t hurt our Post Office which faced closing not too long ago,” Fruitland Park Community Development Director Charlie Rector said. “They have agreed that we want to protect our Post Office, because as you know the Post Office is the community. We are going to protect our Post Office.”

• Micro Racetrack Road.

Fruitland Park Police Chief Terry Isaacs said, “We desperately need a stoplight” at Micro Racetrack Road.

The Villages would update Micro Racetrack Road and put in a stoplight.

• Golf carts.

Fruitland Park requires permits for golf carts. The permit fees for all of the new golf carts could prove lucrative. But how would you enforce the sticker fee? You would have golf carts from all over The Villages in the new Fruitland Park section and you could not enforce the stickers, Chief Isaacs said.

• Building inspections

Again, Fruitland Park would be looking at some lucrative fees.

“If this development is going to take place, they need to play with us. It’s our sandbox,” Fruitland Park’s Rector said. “Keep it in house.”

• Recreation centers for all in Fruitland Park?

Mayor Bell pointed out that The Villages would be building three new recreation centers in Fruitland Park — but only for Villages residents. He said he would like to see something done for the rest of Fruitland Park.

“There will be three brand-new community centers – for only half of our residents,” he said.

• Fire protection

The Villages would provide fire protection service for Villages residents within Fruitland Park. Fruitland Park would provide fire protection service in the rest of Fruitland Park.

“Staff-wise that’s a biggie. We definitely have some jurisdictional problems,” Rector said.

• Deal breakers?

Vice President of Development for The Villages Gary Moyer took the podium near the end of the Fruitland Park meeting.

“We are certainly willing to address the concerns we heard tonight. Having said that, it’s not a one-way street. There are things in our business model we feel strongly about.”

For sure, a deal breaker appears to be a golf cart path along County Road 466A that would allow Fruitland Park residents to travel by golf cart to Publix at Colony Plaza Shopping Center.

“That was the first thing after shaking out hands that they said they weren’t going to do,” Rector said.

In a meeting last week, Rector characterized The Villages as wanting to move “ridiculously fast” on the land deal.

Patty55 09-19-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 748733)

Maybe they should get accustomed to this, I get the feeling it's going to be happening a lot in the future-LOL.

graciegirl 09-19-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 748807)
gracie - here's the villages news orig 8/12 article:

Fruitland Park ponders potential future impact of The Villages

August 12, 2013 By Site Admin 57 Comments

The Fruitland Park City Commission in a workshop Monday evening debated the pros and cons of allowing Florida’s Friendliest Hometown into The Friendly City.

The Villages wants to purchase acreage on County Road 466A across from Burke’s Barbecue restaurant. The acreage would be within Fruitland Park’s boundaries.

“Do you ultimately want the Villages?” Mayor Christopher Bell asked his fellow commissioners. “I would say it is too early to decide. I have to say I have a lot of concerns reading through the developers’ agreement. But I have an open mind.”

Commissioner John Gunter Jr. said it is undeniable that allowing The Villages in would dramatically change Fruitland Park.

“They are going to have 4,000 residents and 90 percent of them vote. So we are going to see them on our boards,” Gunter said. “Fifteen years from now, 20 years from now when the roads start deteriorating and the pipes start to disintegrate what are we going to do? (The Villages) will be in and out in two years.”

But Commissioner Christopher Chesire said this might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Fruitland Park and that’s what commissioners should make their focus.

“It’s kind of sad if we are worried about getting voted out of office,” Chesire said.

Some of the specific issues:

• The Fruitland Park Post Office.

“As long as they can use the vanity name ‘The Villages,’ which they have literally spent millions on in advertising. And as long it doesn’t hurt our Post Office which faced closing not too long ago,” Fruitland Park Community Development Director Charlie Rector said. “They have agreed that we want to protect our Post Office, because as you know the Post Office is the community. We are going to protect our Post Office.”

• Micro Racetrack Road.

Fruitland Park Police Chief Terry Isaacs said, “We desperately need a stoplight” at Micro Racetrack Road.

The Villages would update Micro Racetrack Road and put in a stoplight.

• Golf carts.

Fruitland Park requires permits for golf carts. The permit fees for all of the new golf carts could prove lucrative. But how would you enforce the sticker fee? You would have golf carts from all over The Villages in the new Fruitland Park section and you could not enforce the stickers, Chief Isaacs said.

• Building inspections

Again, Fruitland Park would be looking at some lucrative fees.

“If this development is going to take place, they need to play with us. It’s our sandbox,” Fruitland Park’s Rector said. “Keep it in house.”

• Recreation centers for all in Fruitland Park?

Mayor Bell pointed out that The Villages would be building three new recreation centers in Fruitland Park — but only for Villages residents. He said he would like to see something done for the rest of Fruitland Park.

“There will be three brand-new community centers – for only half of our residents,” he said.

• Fire protection

The Villages would provide fire protection service for Villages residents within Fruitland Park. Fruitland Park would provide fire protection service in the rest of Fruitland Park.

“Staff-wise that’s a biggie. We definitely have some jurisdictional problems,” Rector said.

• Deal breakers?

Vice President of Development for The Villages Gary Moyer took the podium near the end of the Fruitland Park meeting.

“We are certainly willing to address the concerns we heard tonight. Having said that, it’s not a one-way street. There are things in our business model we feel strongly about.”

For sure, a deal breaker appears to be a golf cart path along County Road 466A that would allow Fruitland Park residents to travel by golf cart to Publix at Colony Plaza Shopping Center.

“That was the first thing after shaking out hands that they said they weren’t going to do,” Rector said.

In a meeting last week, Rector characterized The Villages as wanting to move “ridiculously fast” on the land deal.

Bumping njbchbum's post. Sorry Patty!

chuckinca 09-19-2013 11:06 AM

Village News 9/18/13 article on Fruitland Park:

When George T. Clark designed The Casino on Berckman Street in Fruitland Park, he envisioned a local showcase with all the modern conveniences—a large stage, dressing rooms, steam heat, running water, and even electric lights.
The year was 1914. America was readying for World War I.
Tonight the 99-year old Casino building will host a public meeting to air a plan that will change Fruitland Park forever, doubling the city’s population in two short years.
The public hearing begins at 7 p.m.
Mayor Chris Bell called for the meeting to gauge community concerns over the proposed Villages of Fruitland Park, which promises 1,972 new homes and an estimated 3,648 new residents.
Bell plans to present project overviews from city staff; Greg Belliveau, who heads LPG Urban & Regional Planning and Consulting in Mount Dora and serves as the city’s chief planner; and Gary Moyer, Vice President for Development at The Villages.
Commissioners will then break into smaller groups to field questions from constituents, then reconvene at the dais to provide such answers as are possible.
The public is invited. Non-residents should keep in mind that the Casino building will accommodate approximately 100 people and while the building was renovated in the 1970’s, it clearly shows its age. So does its air conditioning system. And parking is limited.
Nevertheless, city commissioners are expecting a lively turnout. After all there’s plenty to talk about.
With just 4,078 people as of the 2010 census, Fruitland Park is the smallest city in north Lake County except Umatilla, on the edge of the Ocala Forest.
Once the Villages of Fruitland Park is approved for development, officials estimate it will take just 24 months to build all 1,972 new homes.
For two years or more, Fruitland Park will rank as the nation’s fastest-growing city.
And that means a certain notoriety that’s sure to catch the eye of lenders, developers, home builders, retailers, banks and health care providers, to name a few. Fruitland Park will occupy the catbird seat atop the list of high-growth U.S. communities just as the U.S. pulls out of its lengthy national recession.
Will city officials be able to provide city services to twice as many people arriving virtually overnight?
An Impact Analysis prepared by LPG Urban & Regional Planning points out some of the ways the city must prepare for the growth spurt. Upgrades to the city’s water system will cost more than $3.5 million. Training and equipping nine new police officers will cost a little more than $1 million the first year and $750,000 a year after that. Widening of 466-A becomes mandatory.
And some residents would prefer that the proposed development site—long known as the Pine Ridge Dairy—remain idyllic pastures and farmlands.
For community development director Charlie Rector, Pine Ridge Dairy holds fond memories.
“When I was a teenager I used to drive out there and just sit and think, it was so peaceful,” Rector remembers.
That was long before The Villages changed the region from a rural backwoods into a bustling retirement mecca where golf carts far outnumber old pickup trucks and chain restaurants crowd out the mom-and-pop roadhouses that once characterized the area.
And while some area residents complain about traffic jams and seasonal “snowbirds” who crowd area restaurants, almost everyone acknowledges the profound economic opportunities The Villages has created in the area.
Planner Greg Belliveau estimates the Villages of Fruitland Park will create more than 300 permanent full-time jobs, and that’s not counting hundreds of construction jobs during the buildout.
Rector estimates that impact fees, permit fees and the like will add more than $13 million to the city’s bottom line, and city property tax revenues will double.
“The Villages is well known as one of the best developers in Florida,” Rector said. “Some of us would like to see the Pine Ridge Dairy site remain a pasture and a peanut farm, but that’s not realistic. We’re way better off with the Villages of Fruitland Park than we would be with a hodgepodge of neighborhoods by different builders and developers,” Rector explained.
Top city officials are working feverishly to prepare for the project now and the pace promises to pick up as The Villages works its way through a lengthy DRI development review and moves toward the construction phase.
“That’s when we get really, really busy,” Rector said, his brow furrowing.

champion6 09-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 748607)
Just another village, adjacent to Hadley.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 748712)
<snip> I thought all of this had to do with a dairy farm on the north side of 466A and east of The Villages area. <snip>

You are very confused... The dairy farm property (a.k.a. Villages of Fruitland Park) is south of 466A. It is east of Charlotte and adjacent to the building materials dump. It is south of Burke's BBQ.

Frank7 09-20-2013 05:11 PM

Because the have a business and property in Fruitland Park
And live in TV

gomoho 09-20-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 748874)
You are very confused... The dairy farm property (a.k.a. Villages of Fruitland Park) is south of 466A. It is east of Charlotte and adjacent to the building materials dump. It is south of Burke's BBQ.

Exactly - a very tiny corner of Fruitland Park that could provide a tremendous
economic boost to a small Florida town. I don't get why they wouldn't want it.

Villages Kahuna 09-20-2013 05:52 PM

I can't answer your original question. But I can tell you with first-hand certainty that Fruitland Park is one of the worst SPEED TRAPS in the entire state.

Be forewarned and BE CAREFUL!

gomoho 09-20-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna (Post 749658)
I can't answer your original question. But I can tell you with first-hand certainty that Fruitland Park is one of the worst SPEED TRAPS in the entire state.

Be forewarned and BE CAREFUL!

Well there you go - more people to catch!

Villages Kahuna 09-20-2013 06:10 PM

A Fruitland Park Rec Center?...That's Easy

If the deal can get done by The Villages building Fruitland Park a rec center, outside the new Villages of Fruitland Park area, that would be an easy decision. If that's the only issue...and of course it won't be...TV developer could build them a really fancy $2 million rec center, adding only about $1,000 to the cost of each house or villa built in the new Villages of Fruitland Park. Heck, they could even name it after the incumbent mayor!

If a nice rec center gets the deal done for The Villages, I haven't seen an easier business decision in a long, long time.