Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lanai-enclosed-open-screened-9293/)

Russ_Boston 08-16-2007 08:45 AM

Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened?

To help out us prospective buyers:

Lanais - Do you prefer yours open or enclosed? If open I assume you'd want it to be screened. I'd like to hear from those that don't have pools since i assume that those with pools have a screened lanai. But what the heck do I know, that's why I'm asking.

Let's hear about the pros and cons of open or enclosed.

villager99 08-16-2007 08:53 AM

Re: Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened?

i've left mine just screened as i like the open feel. i turn on the ceiling fan in summer and don a sweat shirt in winter. so i can use it year round.

Avista 08-16-2007 08:57 AM

Our lanai is enclosed acrylic. The acrylic is darkened (like sunglasses). We have 2 lounge chairs out there. I also put up a long folding table when we have a full house with grandchildren. I can serve a lot of people and with the children there is no carpeting to worry about.

It is a nice quiet room. Great for reading. When it is hot like this, we only use it in the morning. Then close the sliding door until evening. For about 9 months out of the year, we leave the sliding doors open and it stays cool. Windows slide completely open, so if we want, it is just like a screen lanai.

nanci2539 08-16-2007 09:07 AM

For those of you who just keep it screened, I assume you just have outdoor furniture in your lanai.

I've driven by (on myvisits) and saw many lanai's with TV's in the area so I have to assume if you use furniture or electronics that are not weather proof, you need some kind of enclosure like glass or acrylic?

And on another thread, they talked about if you enclosure the lanai, your assessment goes up. Is this statement only if you enclose it in glass or does it make a difference?

Is glass better than acyclic?

SteveZ 08-16-2007 09:16 AM

Florida building codes get tricky when you start having glass windows - different permit requirements as the "room" classification is changed, affecting electrical, taxing, etc.. That's why acrylic is popular.

Had a screen porch for years in Seminole County (FL) and rarely used the room due to weather conditions. After I put in acrylic, the screen porch became the den and it got year-round use.

In my recently purchased (July) TV home, I immediately planned for turning the lania into a, acrylic "den." Installation will occur in the beginning of October.

dandt 08-16-2007 10:06 AM

We love having acrylic (not glass!) with which we can totally close the lanai, but also keep the option of having it very open. We have a bird cage outside that, so we're still screened.

It really seems the best of both worlds.

Russ_Boston 08-16-2007 10:18 AM

I like that idea Dan - thanks.

Happy Villager 08-16-2007 02:37 PM

Our lanai was screened when we purchased the home and we had it enclosed with tinted vinyl. Without the windows the lanai would get dirty and we were constantly cleaning the furniture and tile floor. The windows can slide open from the top down or bottom up if you want the open area. The vinyl is a little less expensive than the acrylic. The acrylic is the way most people seem to be going now. We are having our front porch enclosed and we are going with the acrylic. The salesman did tell us that they do use a spacer bar when the acrylic window is over a certain size to keep it from bowing. Has anyone with the acrylic windows had a problem with their windows bowing?

rballruss 08-16-2007 03:31 PM

We also have the spacer bar which gives a nice look. After enclosing ours with acrylic, it has become my favorite room. In fact, it is where I am now typing this on the laptop and watching CNN on the wall-mounted LCD TV. We just added ceramic tile. The sliding windows allow for the breeze to come through, but not so during these 90+ degree days. We leave the sliders open that lead into the greatroom so the lanai is climate controlled.

Faith 08-16-2007 04:12 PM

When we decided to enclose the lanai, I was informed by the builder that glass windows would involve a new assessment, since it is "officially" a new room. Using acrylic does not change your assessment. We went with acrylic, and it is great - and we do have a new room! :)

bamafan 08-16-2007 04:39 PM

Roughly speaking what kind of cost is involved. I realize that lanais come in all shapes and sizes. Mine will be @ 9 x 20. Thanks

Barefoot 08-16-2007 06:52 PM

I'm really interested in costs and companies recommended. We definitely want to enclose our lanai. Acrylic seems to be the most used.

Rballruss - you say that you leave the sliders open so it is climate controlled. Can you do this year round? Do people leave (cloth) furniture and TVs in the lanaii year-round when it is enclosed with acrylic? Would it be possible to use it for guests with a pull-out sofa if you had an overflow of guests?

I guess I sound naive, but I'm from Canada ... thanks for the help.

PJ & Rick

Barefoot 12-24-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandt
We love having acrylic (not glass!) with which we can totally close the lanai, but also keep the option of having it very open. We have a bird cage outside that, so we're still screened.
It really seems the best of both worlds.

I agree, Can you share with us the cost and supplier of your acrylic windows?. And also of your birdcage?. It would wonderful to hear this info as I'm tryin now to get estimates; your input would be invaluable.

Thanks.

Hope2b 12-24-2007 12:16 PM

In our courtyard villa we had a screened lanai and I thought it was great. It did get dirty quick and you had to be careful about what you put out there because of the moisture but I really enjoyed it. Then we bought a preowned ranch with an enclonced acrylic lanai and REALLY love it. Would never go backed to screened. The previous owners ran the Heat/AC vent out there but I don't think it is very effective. Opening the door would do just about as good in the summer. In the winter it does keep it warmer.

octcr 12-24-2007 02:26 PM

Acrylic sounds the way to go...did not realize if you glassed the Lanai in... it would cause red tape...so if I enclose with acrylic I do not need to inform anyone or get the OK to have it done? I would like to speak to someone about enclosing my screen room...who would you recommend? Is it a mess having it done and how long did it take to have completed?

coach 12-24-2007 04:07 PM

We just recently had our lanai enclosed with acrylic sliding panels and are very pleased. Custom Windows did ours and we use the lanai as a den. My size was 11 X 15 and the price was just over $3600. The company came out and took the measurements and came back about three weeks later with the panels. Installation took about 1/2 day. Prices vary with exactly what you want. Mine are full length panels that slide in channels so that when opened, you could have four panels sliding behind each other to allow lots of air. They do have a spacer band about 24in. up from the bottom for stability. It looks good and is very stable and rigid.
We are very happy and consider this one of our best changes to our home.
Merry Christmas to all!!

ouma1938 12-24-2007 05:21 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but doesn't the acrylic get kind of discolored after a time. We had an acrylic enclosure put on our pontoon boat and after about 5 years you could hardly see through it is was so "cloudy". I am guessing that the material used on lanai's is different. Hope I'm right. Obnce we sell our house and move to TV we will get either a Courtyard Villa or a Designer and will definitely want to enlose the lanai. I love pre-planning Makies it all seem real and certain to happen. Merry Christmas to all.

REDCART 12-24-2007 05:53 PM

I would think in addition to salt air, how you clean acrylic would make a difference too. For one thing, any thing with ammonia, like Windex would over time make acrylic cloudy. All of the banks in the NYC metro area have clear acrylic dividers and they don't seem to discolor or cloud up. But you have to wonder why the price difference between acrylic and glass. Is it because there's little or no competition? They may be using tinted safety glass but it's probably not insulated. Must be in the fabrication process. Acrylic can be cut to size locally, whereas glass must be ordered and there's no room for error.

keithwhale 07-22-2011 06:17 PM

Lania Enclosures

We are thinking of enclosing our lania and would be interested on what companies would be recommended for such work with sliding double glazed glass tinted windows in a Aluminium or uPVC frames.

Ohiogirl 07-22-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villager99 (Post 81621)
i've left mine just screened as i like the open feel. i turn on the ceiling fan in summer and don a sweat shirt in winter. so i can use it year round.

Me, too.

LittleDog 07-22-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith (Post 81709)
When we decided to enclose the lanai, I was informed by the builder that glass windows would involve a new assessment, since it is "officially" a new room. Using acrylic does not change your assessment. We went with acrylic, and it is great - and we do have a new room! :)

I had a lanai and converted it into a Florida room with glass windows. We don't pay more because this is not considered a room because you have to take a step down to get into the room. From what I understand that makes it so that it is not considered another room. We also installed a wall air conditioner/heater which we love as it provides cooling in the summer and heat in the winter. I now consider this another room but the property assessment people don't.

From what I understand in the past when you put glass windows in it was considered another room but that is no longer the case.

John

eweissenbach 07-22-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt (Post 373468)
I had a lanai and converted it into a Florida room with glass windows. We don't pay more because this is not considered a room because you have to take a step down to get into the room. From what I understand that makes it so that it is not considered another room. We also installed a wall air conditioner/heater which we love as it provides cooling in the summer and heat in the winter. I now consider this another room but the property assessment people don't.

From what I understand in the past when you put glass windows in it was considered another room but that is no longer the case.

John

I too was told that bringing the floor up to level with the rest of the house AND running HVAC ductwork to the room would cause it to be considered as a Florida Room and additional square footage to the home for tax purposes, regardless of the type of windows.

angiefox10 07-22-2011 08:38 PM

I can't wait to get there so I can sit outside and breath the fresh air.... It appears that everyone is enclosing theirs in.... Huh????

Pturner 07-22-2011 09:41 PM

We love our screened lanai and have no desire to enclose it. It is southeast facing, so we don't get afternoon sun. It's very comfortable with the fan on and I love it being "outdoors".

We have nice outdoor furniture with cloth upholstery. When we are gone for significant time, we bring the cushions inside. We have light see-through pull-down drapes that can protect from weather and block heat. I sweep it often and wash it twice a year. It's a breeze... so to speak.

Schaumburger 07-23-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrheydt (Post 373468)

John

The patio villa in Chatham that I rented earlier this month had the same kind of "step down" arrangement for the lanai. The lanai was air conditioned. Very pleasant to sit in in that room no matter what time of day it was. More than one person I spoke to told me that when I'm ready to buy, be on the lookout for homes that face north or east to avoid the hotter afternoon sun exposure.

graciegirl 07-23-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 373497)
We love our screened lanai and have no desire to enclose it. It is southeast facing, so we don't get afternoon sun. It's very comfortable with the fan on and I love it being "outdoors".

We have nice outdoor furniture with cloth upholstery. When we are gone for significant time, we bring the cushions inside. We have light see-through pull-down drapes that can protect from weather and block heat. I sweep it often and wash it twice a year. It's a breeze... so to speak.

I would have completely agreed with you on this a week ago P. We had a screen porch on our home in Cincinnati and had one on our home in Hadley. Now that we are renting, this home has an enclosed lanai and we are out here constantly, in fact this is where the computer is. We have changed our mind and are seriously thinking of enclosing the lanai on our new house being built. Maybe adding a small birdcage. We will live in it awhile and see.

This room is filled with windows and also has it's own air conditioning unit. It is very comfortable in this awful heat and would be useable in the cold part of the year too. You can put "real" furniture on it and, as I said, I am completly surprised how much I like it. Sweetie and Helene do as well. I loved the outdoor feel of the screened porch/lanai and I love this too...........

Something to think about.

Lovely choices here.

Hurry down P.

GOJODO 07-23-2011 06:09 AM

We are currently enclosing our lanai and converting it into a year round room.
We had the floor raised, wall installed with block window.Large glass low E windows across the front that open to the sides to allow good air flow, on the other side, ceiling to floor triple sliding glass doors that stack, also to allow for air flow. HVAC system in place now with separate control from main house, so we can use it when necessary. The floor will be tiled to match the house and cabinetry to be installed as well as bar sink and under counter fridge. Dan Watson at T&D is doing the job, we could not be happier with their professionalism. :BigApplause:

784caroline 07-23-2011 09:28 AM

We absolutely love our enclosed lanai with low E dual pane windows. Not only did we enclose it but we raised the floor, took OUT the sliding glass doors and arched the new entrance way, extended the existing AC/Heat directly to the main heat/Cooling system in the garage, added drywall, title floors, crown moulding to match. While we were at it we addded an attached "hobby" room off the lanai that also leads into the master bedroom.

Let me tell you we rarely used the lanai in the past, always dirty, wet, hot in summer or cold (chilly) in winter. Now we use it every day and its amazing how a good contractor can bring it all together,

Regarding taxes, the small amout of addiitonal RE tax that may occur by making this room more liveable is well worth the price. You are already pay RE tax on a screened in lanai, so the additional amount you pay after its enclosed is miniscual comapred to the comfort and enjoyment you get everyday...well worth it.

batman911 07-23-2011 02:49 PM

Once you enclose the lania with windows, doesn't it become a room? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a lanai and being outside. I like the idea of just adding a bird cage and leaving the lanai open.

angiefox10 07-23-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaumburger (Post 373532)
The patio villa in Chatham that I rented earlier this month had the same kind of "step down" arrangement for the lanai. The lanai was air conditioned. Very pleasant to sit in in that room no matter what time of day it was. More than one person I spoke to told me that when I'm ready to buy, be on the lookout for homes that face north or east to avoid the hotter afternoon sun exposure.

You mean... The lanai... right? Not the house. My Lanai will face northeast.

JohnN 07-23-2011 03:07 PM

We like the outdoor space and the screen alone is great for us.
A little dirt does blow in , no big deal.
We don't need another room to sit in and read, we want outside!

NJblue 07-23-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batman911 (Post 373702)
Once you enclose the lania with windows, doesn't it become a room? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a lanai and being outside. I like the idea of just adding a bird cage and leaving the lanai open.

That was my thinking until my wife convinced me that we were not getting enough use out of our lanai - either it was too hot, too cold, too wet or too dirty. So, we installed pocketable low-E glass sliding doors all around so that they can be fully opened in good weather to give the outdoor feel, but closed up the rest of the time. We also added a birdcage off one of the sides such that when the door to it is fully open there is a 12 foot wide opening - thus giving the feel that the lanai and birdcage are all one big outdoors room. For interior wall surface we could have chosen sheetrock since it is protected from the elements but opted for stucco to retain the "lanai feel". We opted to also have pocket sliders from the living room to the lanai thus allowing us to provide a sound barrier between the two rooms to allow two different TVs to be used or to provide a private retreat/ sleeping quarters for visiting relatives. We had a seperate "mini-split" heat pump put in and now this is the most used room in the house and I don't miss our hot/cold/wet/dirty lanai at all.

senior citizen 07-24-2011 07:43 AM

Ditto

senior citizen 07-24-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJblue (Post 373882)
That was my thinking until my wife convinced me that we were not getting enough use out of our lanai - either it was too hot, too cold, too wet or too dirty. So, we installed pocketable low-E glass sliding doors all around so that they can be fully opened in good weather to give the outdoor feel, but closed up the rest of the time. We also added a birdcage off one of the sides such that when the door to it is fully open there is a 12 foot wide opening - thus giving the feel that the lanai and birdcage are all one big outdoors room. For interior wall surface we could have chosen sheetrock since it is protected from the elements but opted for stucco to retain the "lanai feel". We opted to also have pocket sliders from the living room to the lanai thus allowing us to provide a sound barrier between the two rooms to allow two different TVs to be used or to provide a private retreat/ sleeping quarters for visiting relatives. We had a seperate "mini-split" heat pump put in and now this is the most used room in the house and I don't miss our hot/cold/wet/dirty lanai at all.

THIS SOUNDS GREAT and excellent advice........and would work well for us as well with visiting children and grandchildren, friends, etc....extending the indoor living space but still having the screened birdcage.

Yours does sound like a nice "retreat". Thanks for sharing....

Luv2travel 07-24-2011 08:13 AM

By remodeling the lani to become a room of the house with a/c and heat we have a wonderful space, all the light I would want, the ability to open all the windows and shut off the a/c, if we want, or heat it, if we want. These are our choices of controlling our space, but without full a/c, heat and double pane windows you have no options, it's just either too hot or too cold.

senior citizen 07-24-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 373613)
We absolutely love our enclosed lanai with low E dual pane windows. Not only did we enclose it but we raised the floor, took OUT the sliding glass doors and arched the new entrance way, extended the existing AC/Heat directly to the main heat/Cooling system in the garage, added drywall, title floors, crown moulding to match. While we were at it we addded an attached "hobby" room off the lanai that also leads into the master bedroom.

Let me tell you we rarely used the lanai in the past, always dirty, wet, hot in summer or cold (chilly) in winter. Now we use it every day and its amazing how a good contractor can bring it all together,

Regarding taxes, the small amout of addiitonal RE tax that may occur by making this room more liveable is well worth the price. You are already pay RE tax on a screened in lanai, so the additional amount you pay after its enclosed is miniscual comapred to the comfort and enjoyment you get everyday...well worth it.

Another great option.........to get more enjoyment from the original lanai.
We had two screened balconies in Venice and we were so wrong thinking that they would remain clean........not so. Also, love the idea of your hobby room...........thanks for sharing.

senior citizen 07-24-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2travel (Post 373916)
By remodeling the lani to become a room of the house with a/c and heat we have a wonderful space, all the light I would want, the ability to open all the windows and shut off the a/c, if we want, or heat it, if we want. These are our choices of controlling our space, but without full a/c, heat and double pane windows you have no options, it's just either too hot or too cold.

Very well said.

Bogie Shooter 07-24-2011 08:35 AM

Sometimes we are provided way too much information.........................

Pturner 07-24-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 373932)
Sometimes we are provided way too much information.........................

What is, Bogie Shooter? :confused:

Skip2MySue 07-24-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 373943)
What is, Bogie Shooter? :confused:

Thanks "P" for creating that visual.:D
Skip 2