Invisible Fences

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Sage
Default Invisible Fences

Yesterday, my wife and I were driving on Talley Ridge Drive and we spotted a miniature Dobie running on the road with no owner around. We stopped and I went over to the dog to see if he had an ID tag - he didn't. He did have the electronic gizmo on his collar for an invisible fence. After the dog sniffed my hand, I picked him up and we went home and got a leash. My wife went house by house on a couple of streets nearby asking if they knew of a Miniature Doberman in the area. I walked the dog up and down the streets to see if he knew where he lived - he didn't.

My wife's search turned up a neighbor of the family who owned the dog and she went to that house. The dog had not been missed and the owners were really surprised he was gone.

I met my wife at the car and we drove the dog back home. Family re-united! Glad the search had a happy ending. People with invisible fences should check periodically to see if the collar devices have enough battery power to still work. I don't know if that was the case or if the dog had just broken through and could not get back in.

We met some nice people in the asking around and everyone seemed to like dogs. Made me feel good! (I do not have a dog.)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum member

You sound like very special people to do all that. They are a lucky family, and hopefully they take your advice!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Yesterday, my wife and I were driving on Talley Ridge Drive and we spotted a miniature Dobie running on the road with no owner around. We stopped and I went over to the dog to see if he had an ID tag - he didn't. He did have the electronic gizmo on his collar for an invisible fence. After the dog sniffed my hand, I picked him up and we went home and got a leash. My wife went house by house on a couple of streets nearby asking if they knew of a Miniature Doberman in the area. I walked the dog up and down the streets to see if he knew where he lived - he didn't.

My wife's search turned up a neighbor of the family who owned the dog and she went to that house. The dog had not been missed and the owners were really surprised he was gone.

I met my wife at the car and we drove the dog back home. Family re-united! Glad the search had a happy ending. People with invisible fences should check periodically to see if the collar devices have enough battery power to still work. I don't know if that was the case or if the dog had just broken through and could not get back in.

We met some nice people in the asking around and everyone seemed to like dogs. Made me feel good! (I do not have a dog.)

You're correct. The batteries need to be checked and replaced at least quarterly. We had an "Invisible Fence" brand. They sent us replacement batteries every 3 months.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have always liked Buggy one from his posts. This just reinforces those good feelings about a nice person.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have always liked Buggy one from his posts. This just reinforces those good feelings about a nice person.
Thanks but the post was not about me but a reminder for folks to change batteries on a regular basis in their collar gizmos.

I do have a real soft spot for dogs and cats, though.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Sage

I'm not usually scared of dogs but I knew a terror of a minpin so you're a hero in my book for picking a stray one up! Well done.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child (or a dog)! Thanks for doing that!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Gold member

Excellent job.

A question please.
I will be looking into the "invisible fence" for our yard. I am of the opinion that I would not leave my mutt out by herself because any dog can run through this.

Do most people leave their dog out unattended?

Just curious not commenting !!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 AM

We have a Pet Stop Fence another version of the "invisible fence" (Just different brand) and our dog has learned the boundary quite quickly. However that being said it will not prevent another dog or person, or critter (aka gator) from entering your yard. So it is a good idea to keep an eye on your dog while he is outside. It also depends on what type of dog and how the fence is setup for a boundary. We just had Hidden Fence come by to install the wire in the ground so that we can bring our receiver down and install it when we are here. He did it in about an hour and no problem that it was a different system. After all it is the wire that is important and that would work on any system.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 PM

Your dog should never be left unattended even with an invisible fence!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
A question please.
I will be looking into the "invisible fence" for our yard. I am of the opinion that I would not leave my mutt out by herself because any dog can run through this.
We have an invisible fence installed by Dog Watch in Ocala. They really helped with the initial training, which is an essential part of having an invisible fence. The invisible fence works equally well for both our 10 lb dog and our 70 lb dog.

In answer to your question, we would never, ever leave our dogs out unsupervised.

If you want to come to our house and see how well our fence works, please just let us know by PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Excellent job.

A question please.

Just curious not commenting !!!!

We just installed an Invisible Fence a couple weeks ago. Our property back home was fenced, so this has been a first for our dogs. They took to it incredibly quick and we've been really pleased. With that said, we do not leave the dogs unattended. It does not stop other dogs from coming into the yard - it just stops your dogs from leaving. Our dogs are overly friendly and I wondered if they would stay in the yard when people walk by...so far so good. But in fairness to my neighbors, I want to be sensitive to how they might feel about a dog being outside without seeing the owner attending to them.
If you decide on Invisible Fence, please PM me. I'd be happy to give you the name of the local rep and his contact number. He did a great job for us.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

To those with the invisible fence - do your deed restrictions/covenants allow pets to be outside on your property without a leash?

Have always interpreted ours ["Only one dog may be kept by any Owner, provided, however, that at all times said animal, when not within the confines of the Home, shall be restrained by a leash."] to mean that pets must be leashed whenever they leave the house.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

I got an invisible fence but then I couldn't find it.

Sorry...couldn't resist.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Dogs should not be left unattended, with or without an invisible fence. It is irresponsible of the dogs owner. I would like the confidence of knowing if I go for a walk I am not going to have a dog leave their yard and potentially have a confrontation. I know most dog owners are very responsible, and they care very much for their dog's safety as well.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.