Altering tips at Mezza Luna

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Altering tips at Mezza Luna

Last week, my golf group had lunch at Mezza Luna. I paid for my lunch and left a 20% plus tip on my credit card even though service was just okay. A couple of days later, I noticed that my tip amount had been doubled on my credit card account.

After dodging my calls for a couple of days, I was finally able to speak to the restaurant manager. She said it was just a systems problem but she would talk to the waiter that evening and get back to me. Three days later, I called her again to follow up. She said that my tip amount was accidentally entered twice and that it was an isolated incident. She offered to return the extra amount and give me 10% off my next meal. I already had a 10% off coupon from their website so I declined and now I'm still waiting for the overcharge credit to appear on my card. Based on the manager's unresponsiveness over the phone, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe I was the only one to have a tip charged twice or maybe I'm more vigilant than most. Regardless, if you use a credit card to pay at a restaurant, be sure to check that it clears for the correct amount. I'd also be very interested if any one else had this happen here.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

I know it's not today's norm but good old cash resolves many of these issues. I loathe establishments such as DTV that get to hold me hostage since I can only pay with a credit card on file. Why does my Washington representation allow this hostage situation to exists ? This was not meant in any way to be pointed at any political party.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM

I have had it happen. I check my statements daily to see what is posted. In my case it was the server changing the amount. The owner watched the tapes and immediately refunded the money and fired the employee. We have always been treated well at that establishment since. I think it is an all too common problem. I save my receipts until the transaction has cleared.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Take a photo of the receipt before you leave as proof. Until it clears.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Photo of receipt. Great idea!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

logdog, register your complaint thru the credit card company. Once this simple maneuver is complete your covered and won't get lost in the sauce at the restaurant. What a shame. We have to have eyes in the back of our heads at all time but that is what the world has come to. Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
logdog, register your complaint thru the credit card company. Once this simple maneuver is complete your covered and won't get lost in the sauce at the restaurant. What a shame. We have to have eyes in the back of our heads at all time but that is what the world has come to. Good Luck.
Exactly, call your credit card company and lodge a fraud complaint. The credit card company may see a "pattern" that shows the business is inflating the charges. I know of a restaurant in another city where the manager was doing all the transactions and it was him that was changing the submitted bill.
Anyone been to Mezza Luna recently, go back and check your statement for accuracy.
The problem may be an employee or the business owners themselves.
It's spelled C-R-I-M-E, either way.

Skip
Old 02-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

Please make a complaint to the bbb and get it on record. Also contact your credit card company. I was charged for service not received in jan. And feb. after I cancelled in dec. they would not deal with it until I called my cc company and they disputed it and also blocked that particular company. They did issue a credit and acknowledge the problem was on their side after action by the cc company.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Take a photo of the receipt before you leave as proof. Until it clears.
Then I have to wait til I've finished the roll. Then pay to get it developed, and hope I got it in focus...
Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just another nail in the Mezza Luna coffin...Poor service unsatisfactory food ...just a matter of time.....Sad they were so great when they first opened..
Happens to the norm with resturants
Old 02-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

I'll admit, when I read the thread title, I thought "why in the world would a restaurant give someone advice about hemming their pants?"
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM

We went to Mezza Luna a couple of nights ago. Italian food was great , especially the sauce and bread. Bartender Shaun (?) very efficient and friendly. Oh , and my tip wasn't altered.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
Then I have to wait til I've finished the roll. Then pay to get it developed, and hope I got it in focus...
Umm, you don't have a smart phone with a built in camera?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I'll admit, when I read the thread title, I thought "why in the world would a restaurant give someone advice about hemming their pants?"
OK, that was funny.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
Last week, my golf group had lunch at Mezza Luna. I paid for my lunch and left a 20% plus tip on my credit card even though service was just okay. A couple of days later, I noticed that my tip amount had been doubled on my credit card account.

After dodging my calls for a couple of days, I was finally able to speak to the restaurant manager. She said it was just a systems problem but she would talk to the waiter that evening and get back to me. Three days later, I called her again to follow up. She said that my tip amount was accidentally entered twice and that it was an isolated incident. She offered to return the extra amount and give me 10% off my next meal. I already had a 10% off coupon from their website so I declined and now I'm still waiting for the overcharge credit to appear on my card. Based on the manager's unresponsiveness over the phone, I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe I was the only one to have a tip charged twice or maybe I'm more vigilant than most. Regardless, if you use a credit card to pay at a restaurant, be sure to check that it clears for the correct amount. I'd also be very interested if any one else had this happen here.
Good thing you DO check your statements and your receipts religiously. I pay with cash about 90% of the time in restaurants for this very reason. Sorry this happened to you! Peace out..m

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, card, amount, tip, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.