Athens NY Restaurant Closing Nov. 8

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Isn't that building being renovated to facilitate first floor retail - and perhaps this is the last piece in that plan? And that's why TV would not offer to renew?

More retail and fewer restaurants is not a conducive draw to tourists, guests and villagers. And to related businesses on the square.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
Rather disconcerting to see how The Villages Owners can remove a very successful tenant in the blink of an eye. I don't know the details but the Restaurant will be sorely missed as another nail (IMHO) will be hammered into a coffin by unscrupulous Villages ownership that some of you continue to sing the praises of no matter what they do. Best of luck to Chris and his family in their other two locations. Where will we get our Zwiegles Hot Dogs now?
Quote:
You are wrong on all counts. The business is very successful. The Owner is in his forties, its his Father who is in his sixties. There is more than meets the eye to this story so suggest unless you know the facts that you stop posting erroneous information. My guess is the TV does not wnat them around to compete with Katie Belles when it reopens.
Quote:
When people make untrue statements they should be called to task. You have no idea about the history behind this situation so please don't let your unbridled devotion to the developer blind you from the facts.
I guess it makes a difference who is posting the erroneous information...........
Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My POINT was that HE Mr.Athens the older, might want to retire. Not that he didn't pay his rent or didn't cook nice.

Sometimes people use face saving excuses for things like this...and it could be the gawdawful truth that the danged Morses want to double the rent or something.

I sure hope that the Morses are as nice as I think they are, but ya never know. WHY would the Morses want to get rid of a good tenant? Perhaps the tenant wanted to quit? Maybe? Huh? Perhaps? Their lease was up.

Maybe they will reopen in another location that is lower rent and bigger and nicer? We will just wait and see.
I think the reality is somewhere between those who think they walk on water and those who think everything they do is from greed. Hopefully a new resto will go in there, as it's one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, things to do in The Villages.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A TV business insider told me: When a successful business in TV is up for lease renegotiation, the developer demands a sizable portion of future business profits in addition to rent. This insider told me there have been several businesses that closed up because of this negotiation tactic.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:48 AM

Another loss for Villages North.

Last edited by Railcruiser; 11-03-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Spellng
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcruiser View Post
I hope more things go south! Not bad, just closer to me some 14 miles to the south.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
A TV business insider told me: When a successful business in TV is up for lease renegotiation, the developer demands a sizable portion of future business profits in addition to rent. This insider told me there have been several businesses that closed up because of this negotiation tactic.

With all due respect to you, Outlaw, I have heard that rumor over and over and it was directly answered by the person who works for The Villages in charge of commercial leases some time ago who said it wasn't so. I will try to find that thread.

The rent IS probably high in the squares. It usually is in successful tourist areas. Not everyone can handle the overhead. For that reason I rarely shop in tourist areas because I know the overhead is high. You can get more bargains in lower rent areas.

I haven't located that information but found this while looking.

This thread is from 2008.

Why do so many restaurants fail in The Villages?

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-03-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
With all due respect to you, Outlaw, I have heard that rumor over and over and it was directly answered by the person who works for The Villages in charge of commercial leases some time ago who said it wasn't so. I will try to find that thread.

The rent IS probably high in the squares. It usually is in successful tourist areas. Not everyone can handle the overhead. For that reason I rarely shop in tourist areas because I know the overhead is high. You can get more bargains in lower rent areas.

I haven't located that information but found this while looking.

This thread is from 2008.

Why do so many restaurants fail in The Villages?
I keep telling my wife that she should shop outside of the Villages!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcruiser View Post
A "loss" for TV north???? When Katie Belles is being renovated top to bottom, to become an entirely new, classy venue that people under age 90 would be attracted to?? The Athens commercial space is SO logically a part of that whole venue!

Get over the envy of the developers! Take the risks with your personal assets that THEY did, and build it yourself here if their results and fiscal sustainability are so offensive to you.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
a "loss" for tv north???? When katie belles is being renovated top to bottom, to become an entirely new, classy venue that people under age 90 would be attracted to?? The athens commercial space is so logically a part of that whole venue!

Get over the envy of the developers! Take the risks with your personal assets that they did, and build it yourself here if their results and fiscal sustainability are so offensive to you.
wow!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
A "loss" for TV north???? When Katie Belles is being renovated top to bottom, to become an entirely new, classy venue that people under age 90 would be attracted to?? The Athens commercial space is SO logically a part of that whole venue!

Get over the envy of the developers! Take the risks with your personal assets that THEY did, and build it yourself here if their results and fiscal sustainability are so offensive to you.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Isn't that building being renovated to facilitate first floor retail - and perhaps this is the last piece in that plan? And that's why TV would not offer to renew?
Could be. But these kinds of plans don't materialize over night.

At the signing of their original or last lease, they knew when they signed there either was a clause for renewal or there was not. There is usually discussion about including the renewal just simply because it costs nothing...adds not commitment and locks in the property. When the lease is up either renew or not.
So at some point these folks must have signed a lease, knowingly, with no lease renewal clause.

The real question is whether there was a renewal in the lease or not? If yes and TV does not renew it would be breach of contract.
If there was no renewal clause they knew that at the time of signing, there would be no assurance they would get a renewal.

It is easy and convenient to just say I could not get my lease renewed....which may in fact be true, but known way in advance (at lease signing)!!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Athens appeared to be doing very well. The OP mentioned that TV wouldn't renew their lease because they had other plans for the location.

One of our favorites.

One of our favorites, too. Seems like almost any mom & pop restaurant in TV is doomed. I had never been to Luigino's, which was on a corner and also recently closed. Athens was one of our favorites. Enjoyed the food and the service. Michael went to every table, all the time. Could be that the Powers that Be simply want the prime corners for more lucrative "chain" garbage.

This is sad. Eternally grateful that there are wonderful family-owned restaurants outside TV that we enjoy.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

goodtimesintv: I agree with your 1st paragraph. I disagree with your comment concerning envy""...envy has nothing to do with the number of businesses VLSI smashed because they carry a monopoly and want to control their little fiefdom. Finally didn't Athens take personal risks of their assets and didn't they sweat to build a successful business here?

I admittedly don't care to eat out much but Athens was one of the better restaurants here. I will miss their deep fried haddock. apparently residents' loss is VLSI gain. Cst la vie

I guess I'll never understand the misguided loyalty residents seem to have with a business entity called VLSI...its not wise to love a corporation because its incapable of loving you back....like golf.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 11-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Even though I'm just a wannabee, I always stop at Athens NY Restaurant in Spanish Springs when I visit The Villages. I got on their email list a while back. This morning the owners of Athens NY Restaurant emailed that they are closing this coming Sunday, Nov. 8.

According to the email: "Our lease is coming to an end, and we have tried to work with The Villages to renew it. However, they have other plans for this space and decided not to renew our lease." Then the email goes on to thank the customers for their patronage and to invite them to their two other restaurants in Groveland and Apopka. They will continue to cater events in The Villages out of the Groveland restaurant.

If you have a balance on a gift card, the owners said they will refund your balance if you send an email to: athensnyrestaurant@yahoo.com.

I always enjoyed the meals I had at Athens NY Restaurant, and I loved sitting at an outside table and watching the people pass by on the square. A loss for those who like to eat out in The Villages. Just my two cents.
A simple, informative post..............amazing journey for this thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurant, athens, villages, email, coming, balance, groveland, lease, owners, renew, nov, closing, refund, send, meals, enjoyed, card, gift, events, cater, continue, back, emailed, loved, loss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.