Ay! Jalisco Mexican Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Unhappy New SP Springs Mexican...Worst Salsa ever...inedible

First trip there was Tuesday. Nice decor. Pleasant help. Menu looked fine. Then it HAPPENED....they brought out the chips and the horrible SALSA. I have been to many Mex restaurants with good salsa, and had even MADE my own salsa in the past, and this stuff was VERY VERY BAD. It was like ketchup and v8 mixed together, throw in some chili powder, stir, and add a few chopped tomatoes. Horrible. Chips were acceptable. HAd to order the verde sauce on my burrito, as the red sauce was like red dishwater,and it was fine , but skimpy.Hey Owners! Get yourself some decent salsa. Chopped tomatoes, onions, tomato sauce,hot sauce or peppers, lime juice and cilantro.
There are many of us that won't go back because of the salsa, a staple on almost all their entrees. Word here for returning......NO.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy48 View Post
Had dinner there tonight. We liked the interior and our waiter could not have been more friendly and efficient. We liked the chips and salsa. The salsa is very fresh. As for our meals, they were very good. Not great, but very good. We will probably stick with El Ranchito, although if a group of friends wanted to go there, we wouldn't hesitate to join them. I'd certainly recommend that you give this new restaurant a try.

El Ranchito gets my vote - have been there every year for nearly the past 15 years and, tho not outstanding, is a better than most.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

We had dinner here on Thursday, and will not be rushing back! My son waited about 10 minutes to book a table, while the girls were chatting and paying in bills. By the time they got round to asking how many? The line was out the dor and down the street. Acouple in fromt of us said how rude they thought the staff were.
We ordered our food, it took a long time, the chips were very nice and fresh, the salsa was very poor and very runny, tasted like tomato juice.
Grilled chicken salad was ok. Nothing else could be said about it. Husband and son had steak and chicken fajitas, nothing special. Both said that we could have had better at home!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Platinum member

We had dinner there tonight, and I promised to report which Mexican beers they carry:

Modelo, both Especial and Negro
Tecate
Corona
Dos Equis

Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

We were down for a visit two weeks ago and had dinner with 4 other friends. Not good at all. Bad taste and Would not be able to compete with Taco Bell. Sorry, But that was the one an only visit under current management. We love Mexican food, but this is not even as good a frozen from the store.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Platinum member

Mexican, Tex Mex, Authentic Mexican, Mexican style, etc., etc. I have dined "Mexican" in Mexico, Texas, Old Town section of San Diego, El Ranchito, and many other places. I haven't a clue how to describe "real" Mexican. I do know what I like and having had lunch and dinner at Ay! Jalisco we will return. We have also dined at El Ranchito many times over the years. We will also return there.
BTW, I picked up their card while there and they advertise seven locations. They are reputed to be family owned and the owners are from Mexico.
Minor point, I like the salsa at El Ranchito better of the two.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Platinum member

Had our third meal there Sunday. I don't care for the salsa but it is passable. It seemed slightly improved over our prior visits. Our guests thought the salsa good.

Salsa aside, we were all very satisfied with the meals. The service was good. Price was acceptable. We will go back.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Went last night

Wife and I went last night for dinner. Place was packed. Got seated, chips and salsa arrived quickly were very good. Drink order was taken meal ordered all very good. Reasonable price would deffinatly go back.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default MSG is in food here...

After stopping there the other night and being uable to find anyone who understood me when I asked about MSG in their food, I called today in anticipation of trying it again tonight.

When I asked, the gentleman who answered the phone said without a hesitation that they DO HAVE MSG in their food.

That's too bad, as I was looking forward to a good Mexican meal. But I'd rather have them tell me the truth up front, than for me to suffer the concequences of having a good dose of MSG!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Default First Visit Last Night

We went there to eat for the first time last night. Many people had complained about the salsa; we found it was a bit watery, but very good tasting. Perhaps earlier comments helped to improve the salsa? The service was great, we were there early, about 4:30. The fajitas for two, meat-chicken combo, was very good in taste and serving size. The menu looked interesting, we will return again instead of going to El Ranchitos.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Default Ay! Jalisco Mexican Restaurant

My wife and myself went out last night to Ay Jausco restaurant and we were pleasant surprised to have some good Marxian food and conversation with the bartender " Jake" they do have happy hour from 4-7 PM and prices were very completive but you have to buy the drinks at the bar, if you set at a table you won't get 2 for 1, but to me that wasn't a inconvenience. If you haven't tried it I suggest to give it a try.

Last edited by Ad poster; 01-26-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Sage

I love Mexican - I'll make sure I give it a try.

(FYI: I think it is Ay! Jalisco)

PS> Is that your golf cart in your avatar? If so what type is it?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Default cart

No I just saw it at Lake Sumter Landing and took a picture, I wanted to buy it from the guy and he didn't want to sell it, I thought it would good for when I go out and play golf. LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Thumbs down Doesnt Pay to talk to "Manager"

Wife and I along with visiting daughter and son-in-law stopped in for dinner on a not too busy night last week. We were told by a firendly hostess we would have to wait for a table in the bar room area, which was fine. We said we would wait at the bar, which only had 2 other people at. We sat down and waited for friendly bartender service. He was occupied on the cell phone, had he acknowledged our presence it would have not been too disturbing so we sat there. After 3or4 minutes our hostess said we could be . We still had not been acknowledged by the bartender. I asked to speak to the manager.

A manager, I would have thought she was a senior waitress came to the table. I explained my concern and that I was only advising since I hoped they would be sucessful and I felt better bar service would help.

Otherwise the meal and food service were fine, except that partway through the meal the bartender came over to "appologize". He said he was very sorry that he received a phone call from his aged mother who was in an auto accident. And by the way he did see us for the "120 seconds" we had been waiting. So my assumption is this place is not managed at all and I wont return at least as long as this idiot is the bartender.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM

Finally made it to Ay! Jalisco twice this week. Couldn't have been happier on both visits. Short wait (5 minutes) tonight on a busy Friday night in SS. Chips and salsa were tasty, plentiful, and refilled without asking. Been there with two different visiting couples and had 6 different entrees. All were excellent.

This place deserves a chance to succeed so if you haven't been there I'd say try them out and if you have been and weren't satisfied it would be worth your while to try them again.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.