Best Corned Beef and Cabbage?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Question Best Corned Beef and Cabbage?

Have family visiting and would like to know the best place to get good corned beef and cabbage for March 15th's St Patty's Day at LSL. From the food vendors at the square or nearby Cody's or elsewhere??
Old 03-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Platinum member

Cracker Barrel has a very good corn beef and cabbage plate beginning 3/11!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Pressure cooker 35 minutes. No fuss one pot cooking
Old 03-11-2017, 05:57 AM
Platinum member

Or...throw it in the crockpot and let it cook on low all day while you're out having fun. So easy and 😋.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Sage

crockpot no brainer
Old 03-11-2017, 06:22 AM
Sage

NOT Too-Jays. I had corned beef and cabbage there recently, they always have it on the menu. It was cold, tasteless and not cooked properly. Basically inedible
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Eternal Member

Codys is very good.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Thanks! Can anyone remember if the vendor's corned beef are any good?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Could not agree more with NOT going to Too-Jays for my CB&C! Corned beef was served from a tray where it had sat in 'warm' water for who knows how long! And the slices that did not quite make full immersion were dried out and curled! That was at the Spanish Springs spot. Matter of fact...found out I prefer the Reuben from Arbys!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Or...throw it in the crockpot and let it cook on low all day while you're out having fun. So easy and 😋.
I totally agree. Crock pot corned beef is awesome. I do not put in the potatoes and cabbage or carrots in the crock pot however I cook them on top of the stove. I toss the cabbage and carrots in butter and serve a little of the meat liquid as a gravy for the potatoes.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Corned beef is NOT an Irish tradition. Never heard of it in Ireland. We always have boiled HAM with cabbage, onions, turnip and carrots. That is an Irish dinner. Our ham is referred to as bacon. Just for the record.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Gold member

We always liked to go to Cane Garden on Thursday evening for their corned beef and cabbage dinner. What I especially like there is the corned beef is in chunks as opposed to the corned beef at Toojays which is sliced thin. It's quite crowded there on Thursday nights.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Sage

I'm with the crockpot crowd. Lay it in the crockpot on a bed of onions, pour a can of beer over it, then go do something else.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
We always liked to go to Cane Garden on Thursday evening for their corned beef and cabbage dinner. What I especially like there is the corned beef is in chunks as opposed to the corned beef at Toojays which is sliced thin. It's quite crowded there on Thursday nights.

John
I agree. The CB&C at Cane is really good and it is there only on Thursday nights.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenod View Post
Corned beef is NOT an Irish tradition. Never heard of it in Ireland. We always have boiled HAM with cabbage, onions, turnip and carrots. That is an Irish dinner. Our ham is referred to as bacon. Just for the record.
I'll be the one to disagree (OK, I agree) with this one. However, this is a thread on Corned beef and cabbage and not an Irish dinner. Corned Beef and cabbage was basically jewish meal, however when the Irish immigrated they changed St. Patrick's Day from a religious day with family and God (and the pubs used to be closed in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day) into a celebration of Irish-American Pride. Part of the pride was the corned beef and cabbage meal, the parades, and 'everyone is Irish' on March 17.

It may be a hallmark holiday however as an Irish-American, I like eating Corned Beef and cabbage. The Irish probably would have eaten beef in the olden days except the cows where worth too much to eat.

I haven't been to Ireland and since my family has been in America since America was colonized we are true Irish Americans, however I would bet money that if you went to a touristy center in Ireland you could get Corned Beef and Cabbage. Example is...

Home - O'Neills Bar

I agree Bacon is what they eat in Ireland, but St. Patrick's Day is commercialized here to show Irish American pride (IMHO)

So, what are the places that are serving Corned Beef and Cabbage (and not TooJays please). In NYC we would all go to diners.

Bigger question from me is, where is a good Irish/English breakfast? Between 5-6am, before the parade in NYC we would go to Kinsale Tavern and everyone (policemen mostly in uniform) with a mix of Irish visitors watching Gaelic football at the bar on TV, and many with their families eating breakfast. The beer was flowing. By 9am, the bar would empty out.

Kinsale Tavern was on Third Avenue on the upper east side, it's now closed

So,...
Where are the places to eat on St. Paddy's Day!

Last edited by TheDude; 03-14-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
corned, beef, cabbage, lsl, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.