Billy's cafe on 441

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Gold member
Default Billy's cafe on 441

I went to Billy's last week. Coffee was great. Got eggs over light with home fries and hash. It was the best I've had so far in the villages. The toast came out HOT,And you could put butter on it and it melted, lol. The eggs of course are eggs but the the home fries and hash portions were really big, and delicious. The staff was friendly and service was fast. The food was piping hot. Great all around experience .
Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

one of the good quality, good service good food good people restaurants that have been here since before we built our home in 2004.

As I have always there is no secret to running a successful food establishment (anywhere).

OR........because they do not pay rent to TV (meant to be funny and sarcastic)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I always think of Billys Cafe as the home of the professionals. Even if you have to put your name on the waiting list, you are always seated pretty quickly. The wait staff is always there quickly to take drink orders and my coffee cup is always kept filled. The food comes out quickly and its correct and there's a lot of it. I really like watching the busy waitresses do a reverse left handed coffee pour without spilling a drop. They are breakfast professionals!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
one of the good quality, good service good food good people restaurants that have been here since before we built our home in 2004.

As I have always there is no secret to running a successful food establishment (anywhere).

OR........because they do not pay rent to TV (meant to be funny and sarcastic)
Similar things have been said in jest, but are true.
It's not just rent everyone pays.
Take into consideration a percentage of the receipts, perhaps??

Overall, the Walmart on 441 is less expensive than the one on 466A
because on 466A the land is owned by our developer.

In addition, I personally know a doctor who besides paying him rent,
has to pay for parking spaces. How's that???

Yes, the developer is a pretty shrewd cookie.
And no -- there ain't no free lunches!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
<snip> Overall, the Walmart on 441 is less expensive than the one on 466A because on 466A the land is owned by our developer. <snip>
I'm assuming you meant 466, not 466A. Your statement is not true. The land for both of these locations (441 & 466 - buildings, parking lots & adjacent retention ponds) are owned by Walmart. The Marion County and Sumter County sites confirm this.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 PM

This cannot be the same Billys where we ate. No gravy? How can a breakfast palace not serve gravy? One biscuit? potatoes were lousy.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:03 AM
Sage

Billy's Cafe is probably the best place for breakfast in or out of The Villages. It doesn't have that homey Mom & Pop atmosphere because it's run professionally, as a restaurant should be. Who needs gravy for breakfast? Gravy goes with meat and potatoes, not bacon and eggs.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Outside TV Rae Raes is by far the very best! We ate at Billys Cafe when we first moved here and yes the food is pretty darn good but not the best. Whatever oils they use when they cook just has never set well with me. But I agree the service is great. Give me Rae Raes any day or Jan and Terrys Diner. We just ate there yesterday and the breakfast was great. Love the choices they have not the usual mundane stuff. First place I have seen since moving south that had scrapple on the menu. Loved it!!!! Eggs cooked perfectly and home potatoes nice and crispy like I like them! Much of what they make is homemade. They truly are trying to please so I hope they stay in business. Different strokes for different folks though so just my 2 cents
Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Billy's Cafe is probably the best place for breakfast in or out of The Villages. It doesn't have that homey Mom & Pop atmosphere because it's run professionally, as a restaurant should be. Who needs gravy for breakfast? Gravy goes with meat and potatoes, not bacon and eggs.
ur not from around here are ya.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
ur not from around here are ya.
They may not be from the south. Gravy and biscuits do indeed go with potatoes, eggs, and bacon, and sausage.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I'm assuming you meant 466, not 466A. Your statement is not true. The land for both of these locations (441 & 466 - buildings, parking lots & adjacent retention ponds) are owned by Walmart. The Marion County and Sumter County sites confirm this.
Yes, I did mean 466, not 466A; that is my error.

Also, my error was not verifying information.
I stand (sit !) corrected.
I should not always trust a source of information, which is what I did.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We ate at Billy's a couple months ago; driving past and thought what the heck... lunch at 1pm. She had a sandwich, me breakfast. As I recall food was OK - service a bit slow and the place was not crowded. I recall they are open till 2; serve only bfast and lunch. We mentioned to the waitress this was our first time here, and she said welcome - and that the staff was in 'a good mood'. I asked why and she said the Owner was not there that day and everyone was relaxed. Hmm, not good to tell a customer that I thought... She said he was a Middle-Eastern guy and very strict - name IS NOT Billy... Well as mentioned food was kinda OK, and the service deteriorated since the order.
Took a while to come, potatoes were cold, and took a while to get our waitresses attention - then took time to get a check. Wait staff seemed lax. We would not return - but if we knew the owner, I would have talked with him after our visit. My feeling = if HE'S the owner, he should demand good service from his people, period. But with the so-so food and poor service, we would not return considering all the other places in TV area...
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Some like it others don't.........................
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Some like it others don't.........................
No different than any other restaurant review.

Replies always run from "great place" to "I will never return". Everyone has to check a place out at least once to get their own perspective.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Gravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I suppose it's all about how mother cooked and served ---mom would never serve breakfast without gravy. However, good biscuits and gravy hard to find.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.