Bonefish

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Bonefish

I know a lot of diners really like Bonefish as did I up until last Tuesday. I purchased a Dinner to go of Scallops and Shrimp and also a side order of Crab Cakes. The main meal of Scallops and Shrimp was to say the least, "Terrible". They included about 6 shrimp sort of thrown in a dish and they were over cooked had a sauce that had absolutely no taste and generally not good. The scallops were terrible. Small, over cooked and tough.
The Crab Cakes were extremely "spicey" and sort of "mushy". I had friends who said they liked Bonefish but would not go back because of the poor quality. I did not listen to them and now I understand the background for their opinion. It is clear they are doing a land office business but hopefully they will fix some of the change in quality.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is clear they are doing a land office business but hopefully they will fix some of the change in quality.
What does "a land office business" mean?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Defined

As defined in the Dictionary, etc.. Of course feel free to use it if you feel it would be appropriate at the time.

"A thriving, expanding, or very profitable concern or volume of trade. For example, After the storm they did a land-office business in snow shovels and rock salt. This term, dating from the 1830s, alludes to the throng of applicants to government land offices through which Western lands were sold. It has been used for other booming business since the mid-1800s."
Old 10-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Back in the 50's land was sold often without infrastructure or interest in building a house on it. They sold lots and that was their only interest. In the OP's post, I took it to mean Bonefish was not interested in the quality of food---just the quantity of food sold.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Sage

I tried to get a reservation after Matthew had passed through and they were all booked up. WOW

Went to the Lighthouse and had a good meal.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Sage

The parent company of Outback, Bonefish & Carrabas are having a difficult time--they're closing lots of stores, due to the fact the the younger generation hates chain restaurants

We went to the Bone a couple of weeks had a real short drink (the mgr would not make it right), paid our bill after 1 rd of drinks-did not eat--it will be quite a while before we go back
Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Platinum member

We had dinner tonight at Bonefish. Food, booze and service were great.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Sage

I'm not sure if a seafood dinner would be best to carry out. I would think once it got cold the juiciness would disappear and it would be sort of hard. Even getting pasta to go is a risk as when you heat it in the microwave the butter separates from the dish. I wonder if you had eaten it in the restaurant if you would have liked it more.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I went to Bonefish shortly after it first opened. Thought it was terrible. Decided to give it a second try for objectivity sake Again thought it was just terrible. never went back over priced and poor quality Places like Bonefish feign exclusivity because exclusivity equates to higher prices . fine dining to me means good tasting food and bonefish is not fine dining
Old 10-14-2016, 05:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Surprised

I am surprised that so many have agreed with me on the quality. Understand about a "take out" fish dinner but this exceeded any problem with that. I will add that we have gone to the Lighthouse and it is absolutely great. Had a fish dinner that was one of the best I have had and can't wait to go back.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I've never been a fan of Bonefish.

Way overpriced for the quality IMHO.

I also put Capital Grille in that category.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The parent company of Outback, Bonefish & Carrabas are having a difficult time--they're closing lots of stores, due to the fact the the younger generation hates chain restaurants

We went to the Bone a couple of weeks had a real short drink (the mgr would not make it right), paid our bill after 1 rd of drinks-did not eat--it will be quite a while before we go back
I agree with the youngers. They avoid chains......their choice, but I have to chuckle. Regarding cocktails......that's surprising. At The Bone, I only can have one since they are always so strong..........I usually just have the magic juice over ice.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:39 PM

We've been there a few times. Each to his own. We like it. The food , drinks, service and price are okay by us. Sure it's a chain restaurant, that is what it is. It here and it adds variety. Much better choice for us than going to Dead Lobster. YMMV
Old 10-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I am surprised that so many have agreed with me on the quality. Understand about a "take out" fish dinner but this exceeded any problem with that. I will add that we have gone to the Lighthouse and it is absolutely great. Had a fish dinner that was one of the best I have had and can't wait to go back.
Couldn't agree more! Fish Fry at Lighthouse is outstanding. Have been a critic of Bonefish since the first time I wen there. Tried returning several times and consider it mediocre. Obviously I'm in the minority of Villagers with discriminating opinions!
Closed Thread

Tags
shrimp, bonefish, scallops, terrible, cooked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.