Bonifay for Breakfast, one year later

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage
Default Bonifay for Breakfast, one year later

It's been over a year since I went to the breakfast buffet. What I liked was the oatmeal, bacon, ham, sausage and biscuits. I like to sample a little bit of everything. I passed on the pancakes, grits and potatoes which looked good. The sausage gravy needed quite a bit more sausage. The watermelon and honeydew were good but they were cut way too thin. It makes a difference. The strawberries were good but the oranges seemed to be previously frozen. I didn't try the muffins.

The omelet bar does not know how to make an omelet. If after making an omelet you need to scrape the pan vigorously with a spatula to clean it then you got it wrong. The pan needs more butter and less eggs. Scrape a little towards the center of the pan as the eggs cook and add the cheese and/or cooked ingredients and/or herbs the last couple of seconds and fold over each end towards the center. The omelet should slide out of the pan. A quick wipe with a paper towel is enough to clean it.

I'll try Bonifay for Breakfast again next year. Villagers will pack a house for breakfast. Bonifay was not crowded.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Gold member

Not unusual for a TV country club restaurant, and that wouldn't make me strike it from the places where we would go.

But the problem is, the same management group has too many of the restaurants here, where the same predictable decline in quality and service is likely to occur, and has.

The other predictable thing is that whenever a new restaurant opens (or re-opens as Havana CC did), the same servers/bartenders from the other places show up with their same "know-how" and overview of "how things ought to be" (never mind they did not attain management level positions), and their "attitude" comes with them to seed the new place.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Default Bonifay for Breakfast, one year later

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
It's been over a year since I went to the breakfast buffet. What I liked was the oatmeal, bacon, ham, sausage and biscuits. I like to sample a little bit of everything. I passed on the pancakes, grits and potatoes which looked good. The sausage gravy needed quite a bit more sausage. The watermelon and honeydew were good but they were cut way too thin. It makes a difference. The strawberries were good but the oranges seemed to be previously frozen. I didn't try the muffins.

The omelet bar does not know how to make an omelet. If after making an omelet you need to scrape the pan vigorously with a spatula to clean it then you got it wrong. The pan needs more butter and less eggs. Scrape a little towards the center of the pan as the eggs cook and add the cheese and/or cooked ingredients and/or herbs the last couple of seconds and fold over each end towards the center. The omelet should slide out of the pan. A quick wipe with a paper towel is enough to clean it.

I'll try Bonifay for Breakfast again next year. Villagers will pack a house for breakfast. Bonifay was not crowded.

I was there in May it was delicious. No problem at all with my omelet. Maybe you just hit it at the wrong time. Everyone has off days.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage

Don't get me wrong. I didn't catch any bad attitudes. Everyone was friendly. The server was attentive.

They just need to "youtube" How to Make an Omelet and make a couple of other little changes like more sausage in the sausage gravy, cut the melons thicker and don't serve oranges that aren't perfect..

It's not a disaster like you see on "Kitchen Nightmares". You have all these early risers that don't have to go into work in the morning just looking for good coffee and something on the side in the morning. How can you miss?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

I've eaten breakfast there twice. I happen to see some people coming from the omelet bar as I approached the first time and knew I shouldn't waste my time. It is a decent meal for the price but noting to write home about
Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
I was there in May it was delicious. No problem at all with my omelet. Maybe you just hit it at the wrong time. Everyone has off days.
That's true. I'll give it another try the next time we play Velushia or Venutia or whatever it's called.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Platinum member

Our Monday morning golf group went to breakfast at Bonifay quite a bit because they were they only breakfast south of 466A and TooJays was the closest to Pennecamp. Now that Daryls Diner has opened and Cane Garden started serving breakfast we finally have more options so I can understand Bonifay not being as busy especially this time of year.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,306 Times in 866 Posts

Would we accept a price increase for a better breakfast? Or, do we want a better breakfast like we had back home but at low prices. A dilemma? The good news is there are plenty of choices, especially off the reservation so we can always find a place that works for each of us.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Wish they would have regular eggs instead of liquid eggs for those of us that don't prefer omelets.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
Wish they would have regular eggs instead of liquid eggs for those of us that don't prefer omelets.
I was thinking about something like that earlier. What if you asked the omelet guy for 2 eggs over easy? That should be an option. The purpose of the omelet guy is to go from the cook to the customer. Eggs stay hot and free's up the waitress.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 PM

I asked a manager why no eggs and he (for some reason) proudly announced "there isn't a fresh egg in the restaurant. Go figure"
Closed Thread

Tags
omelet, breakfast, pan, good, bonifay, sausage, year, bit, center, clean, scrape, and/or, eggs, add, cook, vigorously, wrong, spatula, butter, couple, towel, paper, house, crowded, pack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.