Bugs at Belle Glade - Infestation serious

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Exclamation Bugs at Belle Glade - Infestation serious

Belle Glade has a serious mosquito infestation problem after sunset if you seat outside. Last Saturday night I did not realize I was getting bit but now have 20 red bug bites on each ankle!! DO NOT EAT OUTSIDE AT BELLE GLADE.
I have made the manager (Jonathan) aware of the seriousness of the situation and encouraged him to advise the owners to immediately do some kind of spraying to control this situation. At this writing, they have not done anything about it.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Sage

Hmmm, when I get ankles like that it is most often from chiggers that I got from walking through high grass. Thanks for the warning!
Old 11-04-2015, 02:27 PM

As soon as the sun goes down, we can attest the bugs in the Belle Glade / Labelle area are so bad you cannot be outside. We don't think any spraying is being done. People very unhappy at present.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Hmmm, when I get ankles like that it is most often from chiggers that I got from walking through high grass. Thanks for the warning!

I vote for chiggers too.Mosquitoes do everywhere, arms necks, through your shirt etc etc. I am an expert on being bitten by mosquitoes. They love me better than..

No I had better just say a lot.

I have had two posts deleted today.

But chiggers are first cousin to mosquitoes The little B's are not welcome here in The Villages.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage

....or red ants! They can bite quite quickly and you aren't aware if you just happen to stand near their nest.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Veteran member

We dined outside at Belle Glade last night and as dusk fell they put down the shades to keep out the voracious mosquitos. The waitress said we were leaving at just the right time. A beautifull view, good food, but folks demanded the shades go up. Hope they didn't get bit.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I've been at Belle Glade at dusk. Our whole party had to go inside because we were getting eaten alive by mosquito's. Ankles... knees.... it was awful.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Have been eaten alive outside as well. It was awful. All over my ankles, legs, and arms. It was a disaster.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

All that water down there, up north rarely get skeeter bite.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Dancing Thyme

I'm the type that gets bitten immediately when I'm outside, no matter if its at the squares or dining out. At Bonifay, they have been spraying but we still have some problems getting bitten. What I've done is put a bottle of bug repellent in my car and spray my legs and arms before sitting outside. I even bring the bottle with me and let my friends use it. It really works. The pump bottle is better than the aerosol because its less smelly and less greasy. I love sitting outside, so this solution has been wonderful for us.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I'm the type that gets bitten immediately when I'm outside, no matter if its at the squares or dining out. At Bonifay, they have been spraying but we still have some problems getting bitten. What I've done is put a bottle of bug repellent in my car and spray my legs and arms before sitting outside. I even bring the bottle with me and let my friends use it. It really works. The pump bottle is better than the aerosol because its less smelly and less greasy. I love sitting outside, so this solution has been wonderful for us.
I am embarrassed that it never occurred to me to use bug spray. What the what is wrong with me. Going to get bug spray today.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
As soon as the sun goes down, we can attest the bugs in the Belle Glade / Labelle area are so bad you cannot be outside. We don't think any spraying is being done. People very unhappy at present.
Check the Sumter County site. Your district is on the schedule for spraying this week
Old 11-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I am embarrassed that it never occurred to me to use bug spray. What the what is wrong with me. Going to get bug spray today.
Joyce, that is sooooo funny. When I walked into Bonifay with the repellent, all my friends hit their foreheads and said, DUH!!! Why didn't I think of that??? LOL... Believe me, it wasn't brilliant, I'm just very resourceful.

Enjoy the outdoors, its really great.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-05-2015, 02:15 PM

One of the best mosquito repellents is a new Bounce dryer sheet. Stick one in your shirt pocket with the point sticking out or, to protect the ankles, perhaps in your shoes or sandals. The mosquitoes have been bad at the Adams dog park too.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:59 PM

Florida, Still Water, Sunset...........and you're surprised you're getting bit?
Closed Thread

Tags
belle, glade, situation, infestation, serious, encouraged, aware, made, eat, manager, jonathan, seriousness, immediately, writing, control, owners, kind, spraying, advise, bug, seat, saturday, sunset, mosquito, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.