Arby's

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage
Default Arby's

A friend of mine called and said she wants to go get a sandwich at Arby's. She said they have a special offering of a corned beef Reuben and a Turkey Rachel. She said she already tried the Reuben and it's very good. So I got interested and agreed to go to give it a try. That will be tomorrow.

In the mean time, I decided to call their toll free number to get some information. And here's what I found: The corned beef Reuben, without the salty cheese, sauerkraut and dressing has 3,480 milligrams of sodium.

The Turkey Rachel, without the salty extras, like cheese, also has 3480 milligrams of sodium.

This is very close to 7 times more sodium than what's recommended for a healthy meal by the American Heart Association (1,500 milligrams per day).

And a recent article in the Daily Sun, written by a dietitian, said that sodium is not just about blood pressure. Sodium may affect blood vessels, heart, kidneys and brain.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM

We do need salt, but that is extremely excessive. Pretty much the same with most fast foods and even many higher end restaurants.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Gold member

Holly Cow! When you eat out you are getting way too much sodium. Especially in fast food restaurants.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
A friend of mine called and said she wants to go get a sandwich at Arby's. She said they have a special offering of a corned beef Reuben and a Turkey Rachel. She said she already tried the Reuben and it's very good. So I got interested and agreed to go to give it a try. That will be tomorrow.

In the mean time, I decided to call their toll free number to get some information. And here's what I found: The corned beef Reuben, without the salty cheese, sauerkraut and dressing has 3,480 milligrams of sodium.

The Turkey Rachel, without the salty extras, like cheese, also has 3480 milligrams of sodium.

This is very close to 7 times more sodium than what's recommended for a healthy meal by the American Heart Association (1,500 milligrams per day).

And a recent article in the Daily Sun, written by a dietitian, said that sodium is not just about blood pressure. Sodium may affect blood vessels, heart, kidneys and brain.
On another thread you stated that you are a vegan...I'm confused.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

http://cds.arbys.com/pdfs/nutrition/...Allrgn_MAR.pdf

And according to the Arby's website the reuben has 2560 mg of salt not 3480, and the turkey Rachel has 1850 not 3480. And those numbers include the cheese, sauerkraut and dressing.

While the numbers do not imply a low salt meal or even a healthy meal if you have any concerns with sodium, the figures from the OP which are claimed to be from the 800 number are not accurate according to the Arby's website.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages pl View Post
a friend of mine called and said she wants to go get a sandwich at arby's. She said they have a special offering of a corned beef reuben and a turkey rachel. She said she already tried the reuben and it's very good. So i got interested and agreed to go to give it a try. That will be tomorrow.

In the mean time, i decided to call their toll free number to get some information. And here's what i found: The corned beef reuben, without the salty cheese, sauerkraut and dressing has 3,480 milligrams of sodium.

the turkey rachel, without the salty extras, like cheese, also has 3480 milligrams of sodium.

this is very close to 7 times more sodium than what's recommended for a healthy meal by the american heart association (1,500 milligrams per day).

and a recent article in the daily sun, written by a dietitian, said that sodium is not just about blood pressure. Sodium may affect blood vessels, heart, kidneys and brain.
7 x 1500 = 10500
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
http://cds.arbys.com/pdfs/nutrition/...Allrgn_MAR.pdf

And according to the Arby's website the reuben has 2560 mg of salt not 3480, and the turkey Rachel has 1850 not 3480. And those numbers include the cheese, sauerkraut and dressing.

While the numbers do not imply a low salt meal or even a healthy meal if you have any concerns with sodium, the figures from the OP which are claimed to be from the 800 number are not accurate according to the Arby's website.
Nothing new about this, numbers are usually sensationalized to support a view.....you just have to expect it to be that way which apparently you did, thanks.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Who cares !!!!

I personally don't care how much salt Arby's have in their food ......I think their sandwiches are great......At least once every two weeks I need a French dip fix......so I'm off to one of two Arby's locations which are both nice and clean which to me is more important than salt content....

yo ho ho ( old salt ,get it !!) ,
Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What is an obsession? It is what I have with TOTV and some other posters have with food.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What is an obsession? It is what I have with TOTV and some other posters have with food.
Very informative !!!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

I smell a fish. You said "a friend" asked you to join her at Arby's? Knowing that you are a vegetarian (remember, you said "a friend").

There is something terribly wrong with your post. My thought is you are embellishing your thread in order to get a "rise" out of posters, and do so in many of your threads.

You argue with posters when you don't like what they say, even though they make sense. And you don't respond to questions many others ask. Such is the case regarding bacteria on keyboards in public places which is what you always use for posting on this forum. How about that???
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Been there, ate that.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I smell a fish. You said "a friend" asked you to join her at Arby's? Knowing that you are a vegetarian (remember, you said "a friend").

There is something terribly wrong with your post. My thought is you are embellishing your thread in order to get a "rise" out of posters, and do so in many of your threads.

You argue with posters when you don't like what they say, even though they make sense. And you don't respond to questions many others ask. Such is the case regarding bacteria on keyboards in public places which is what you always use for posting on this forum. How about that???
My thoughts exactly !!!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Never notice this bit of info

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.