Positive and negative comments for restaurant owners and managers:

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Sage
Default Positive and negative comments for restaurant owners and managers:

Both positive and negative comments can be of value to restaurant owners and managers. Positive comments are nice to hear and the positives can be accentuated while the negatives can be eliminated.

Just like this song: Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive - eliminate the negative.

Restaurants that are doing poorly may not be aware of what they're doing wrong. How will they know what needs improvement if no one is willing to make negative comments? Maybe the food is good but the service is poor or maybe it's the other way around.

Restaurant owners and managers are likely aware of this website by now and they need your honest and complete feedback, the good and the bad. If you hold back because you think it's not nice to be negative, you're cheating them - you may be keeping them from getting the vital information they need to run a better restaurant.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Both positive and negative comments can be of value to restaurant owners and managers. Positive comments are nice to hear and the positives can be accentuated while the negatives can be eliminated.

Just like this song: Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive - eliminate the negative.

Restaurants that are doing poorly may not be aware of what they're doing wrong. How will they know what needs improvement if no one is willing to make negative comments? Maybe the food is good but the service is poor or maybe it's the other way around.

Restaurant owners and managers are likely aware of this website by now and they need your honest and complete feedback, the good and the bad. If you hold back because you think it's not nice to be negative, you're cheating them - you may be keeping them from getting the vital information they need to run a better restaurant.

And sadly, we could be causing them to lose business unfairly. For instance the OP could be very difficult to please at the Outback because he is a vegetarian and he looks for low fat plant based food.

We really need to be careful of our praise, and our criticisms. Not everyone looks for the same thing and some folks are comparing the country club dining here to that back home, but NOT the prices.... and we aren't a huge city like New York, Chicago or Los Angeles..with the diverse food available there. I think we should all try to be a little bit more realistic about what we can expect in a retirement community where most people are careful with money.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

No need to post here......just do it in person!
I also agree with Gracie.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
[/COLOR]

And sadly, we could be causing them to lose business unfairly. For instance the OP could be very difficult to please at the Outback because he is a vegetarian and he looks for low fat plant based food.

We really need to be careful of our praise, and our criticisms. Not everyone looks for the same thing and some folks are comparing the country club dining here to that back home, but NOT the prices.... and we aren't a huge city like New York, Chicago or Los Angeles..with the diverse food available there. I think we should all try to be a little bit more realistic about what we can expect in a retirement community where most people are careful with money.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No need to post here......just do it in person!
There may be various reasons why it's not done in person. But I'll just give one or two examples: Sometimes people may have second thoughts after they get home, or even the next day. Then they might think it's too late or they might feel embarrassed to complain.

I don't want to put myself in the position of telling the customer that he or she is wrong by not complaining in person. Some people just can't do it.

Anyway, this is not called "The Restaurant Praise Board", it's the "Restaurant Discussion" board.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Platinum member

A good way for restaurant owners or future restaurant owners to learn how to run a successful restaurant is to go work for some. Learn the trade from a few of the best. Relying on the general public to provide advice is not a recipe for success.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Gracie nailed it again.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
A good way for restaurant owners or future restaurant owners to learn how to run a successful restaurant is to go work for some. Learn the trade from a few of the best. Relying on the general public to provide advice is not a recipe for success.
I always remember a great article that was in The Wall Street Journal many years ago. The heading was: "Customers Go Out The Door When Success Goes To Your Head." This article was about successful restaurants doing an about face over a long period of time.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I'm not sure what you think was nailed. Can you put it in your own words please?

Assuming a moderate amount of intelligence, I believe anyone can tell a legitimate criticism from one that's not. If a vegan or vegetarian complains about a steakhouse, will anyone think that's a legitimate complaint?

As far as being careful about complaints, there will usually be both good and bad reviews. Should complainers pull their punches because they're afraid they might hurt business? Would that be an honest assessment?
What happened to the virtue of honesty?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

This thread is no different than these:
What's happened to Bonifay?
Cane Garden Country Club
Orange Blossom Country Club

Hacienda Hills -Country Club?????
Belle Glade Country Club

Poster's have not been reluctant to post the good and the bad about all the restauarants in TV.
To me it is just opinions..................I go and find out for myself!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

All of our tastes are different. You can't please everyone. We went to a restaurant with another couple. Best meal they ever had. The waitress spilled my husbands tea in his lap and didn't even apologize. Our take always were different. Of course we have gone back without thinking. We took a relative out for dinner and she ordered spaghetti in a seafood restaurant. We ordered seafood. How many people were happy at the end of the meal? That's enough.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Positive/negative comments for owners/managers is all after the fact.
A good manager will anticipate and plan , train employees for every eventuality and if he/she does it right then any comments from customers will not come as a surprise but an affirmation of his/her anticipations. I could go on but......
Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
[/COLOR]
We really need to be careful of our praise, and our criticisms. Not everyone looks for the same thing and some folks are comparing the country club dining here to that back home, but NOT the prices.... snipped ... I think we should all try to be a little bit more realistic about what we can expect in a retirement community where most people are careful with money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I agree, Gracie nailed it again.
I know many diners feel that it's helpful and constructive to complain to management or on TOTV.
And for them, it's the right thing to do. Each to his own. For me, it ruins the enjoyment of the evening.
We usually don't complain unless it's something blatant like being charged for three meals when we had two.
We vote with our feet, and we don't return to restaurants if we feel the food was poor or we had inadequate service.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Exactly. Well said Gracie....as usual.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM

I have been in the food business my whole life. From casual dining to Fast Food and I have always preached and lived by one philosophy! "Praise in Public and Criticize in Private"! If I have an issue that is severe enough to complain about I ask for the Manager and tell them my feedback directly. Slamming businesses on this forum is indeed "the wrong thing to do". I cringe every time I see it since it absolutely affects that businesses sales!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.