Chili's Restaurant..no more free chips

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The change in policy is understandable, given the number of people I have seen (and know) who order a glass of water and then dumps in their little flavor packets...just to save a couple of bucks.

Listen folks, if you're that tight on money...maybe you shouldn't be eating out?
On top of that they split a meal and only tip on the bill even though the server is serving two!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I'm not sure I would admit to knowing people like that
The worst part?

They see absolutely nothing wrong with it and are actually proud...that they are so 'thrifty.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
On top of that they split a meal and only tip on the bill even though the server is serving two!!!
Yep...exactly!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Gold member

Can salt and pepper be next

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Eternal Member

It's really a shame that a lot of restaurants you have to ask for a sweet low for coffee or iced tea. If there is any on the table, some people take them all and put them in their pocket.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Can salt and pepper be next
Plenty of condiment thieves in the TV's.

Went to a neighbors for coffee a few years ago, and all the packet sugar had Denny's written on it.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:15 PM

I spoke to server, sounds like cost cuts. Chock that up to cheap Villagers taking advantage of a good thing. If you really want them they will bring you a huge serving for a couple bucks or so. Improved menu recently, does that off set some of your displeasure?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Years ago Chili's stopped the free chips and salsa in the Chicago area. Kind of puzzling, because they made you drink more before dinner. So I assumed it was the same here all along. Stopped going there when they made that change up north. It wasn't the money, just the principle.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Years ago Chili's stopped the free chips and salsa in the Chicago area. Kind of puzzling, because they made you drink more before dinner. So I assumed it was the same here all along. Stopped going there when they made that change up north. It wasn't the money, just the principle.
The "principle" ? Because the cost of food is sky rocketing and you can no longer get "free" chips you won't ever go there again?
Old 10-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Default best things in life are not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
The "principle" ? Because the cost of food is sky rocketing and you can no longer get "free" chips you won't ever go there again?
wow no more free chips n salsa so we won't go there...really ? It's happy hour so your drinking for reduced prices and that's not good enough? What does that say about the qualitiy of customers in the Villages. Wonder why so many complain about things but don't want to pay the frieght. Yesterday at Publix's the price of tomatoes was almost $4.00 per lb. can you imagine what Chili's has to pay for a box? So boycott and complain about the lack of good places.....I will go to them because most try very hard to give us a good time.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Bonny, check my post again. I stopped going before I moved here. The principle part goes back to the fact that every other Tex Mex or Mexican restaurant where I lived (and there were a ton) offered free chips and salsa. Not sure if food was sky rocketing then. Add to that comparable to the competition there Chili's was at best mediocre.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We go to Chilis about once a month and sit in the lounge area, not for the chips but because I like all the TV's with sports. I usually forget about the chips and salsa, and the waitress will ask. The biggest problem is they usually bring way too many chips. It's an unbelievable the size of the basket of chips, I feel like asking the waitress to bring more people to help eat them all.

Chili's was the first I know of in the area to have the table payment machine. I never realized I was always tipping too much. You go to pay and then it said the recommended tip amount, and I would of normally have left twice as much. I don't leave as much as I use to to, but certainly not the amount they indicate on the machine.

The only thing I would be upset about is if Outback did away with their pumpernickel bread loaf. Now those I can eat two with no problem, or if Red Lobster got rid of their garlic biscuits.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 PM

I cant imagine saying " well I'm not going to a place where I like the food, because they no longer give out free chips and salsa" Really?
I go to a restaurant for the food and atmosphere, Not the price, not the service, but the food. I don't care if they have a senior discount, or a coupon, I go for a good meal and mostly talk with friends.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Sage

Went to Chili's for the first time in The Villages. Had the guacamole with chips and salsa appetizer, and all were quite good. The happy hour cocktails were well poured. Tried the chicken quesadilla, and it was tasty. The hight top table in the bar was a good vantage point to watch the multiple high def screens. The waitress (who was quite good) said the reason they stopped with the free chips and salsa was a Chili's corporate decision in this area. Will definitely go back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
chips, free, homeowner, cheap, association

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.