Credit Card Beware

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I am with the crowd that believes this was an honest mistake. It is too easy to have the card slip out of the holder, especially if carried in the apron pocket. That being said, you did say that service was slow and inefficient from the beginning. So, no, I probably would have left a nominal tip at best and it would have had nothing to do with the credit card misplacement. Had service been truly good or at least above adequate, yes, I would have left an appropriate tip.

That being said, thanks for the reminder. It is always good to be aware of your property, especially this time of year.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I am with the crowd that believes this was an honest mistake. It is too easy to have the card slip out of the holder, especially if carried in the apron pocket. That being said, you did say that service was slow and inefficient from the beginning. So, no, I probably would have left a nominal tip at best and it would have had nothing to do with the credit card misplacement. Had service been truly good or at least above adequate, yes, I would have left an appropriate tip.

That being said, thanks for the reminder. It is always good to be aware of your property, especially this time of year.
Redwitch, I agree, while I was working there were several times when multiple people would go to dinner, and due to various company requirements would need to get separate checks. Most of the time this worked just fine, however there was the occasional mix-up on the credit cards getting back to the correct person. As stated previously, I have also had a credit card fall out of the folder.
This was probably an innocent mistake.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Gold member

I'll join the innocent mistake crowd.

BUT - I would like to see more of the system I have seen in other countries, the one where they bring a wireless credit card device to your table. You enter the tip amount, then sign. Your printed receipt has the total including tip.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
I'll join the innocent mistake crowd.

BUT - I would like to see more of the system I have seen in other countries, the one where they bring a wireless credit card device to your table. You enter the tip amount, then sign. Your printed receipt has the total including tip.
Many Villagers wouldn't trust that, either.

They fear people seeing their credit card numbers, but yet......

...they write CHECKS for many things that get passed thru many different hands that could copy the checking account and routing numbers, plus the account holder's home address, spouse's name, phone number etc......PLUS the checking account holder's signature that can be forged quite easily.

Charge card is better. The credit card companies detect fraud and decline the transactions before they get approved, and they call the cardholder and pay for fraudulent charges.

The card holder can set alarms in their online account that will instantly alert the card holder when a charge has been approved. Or if something looks fishy you can immediately call or go online to see if any charges have been made.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Many wait staff carry bill folders in their apron. One does not keep your card to use it. Card is swiped with a reader, numbers captured, and a new card is made. Your card only needs to be out of your site for a second. I am thinking it fell out in the apron pocket, not all bill folders have a secured pocket for card. Bonus is there are plenty of restaurants to eat at so you don't have to return.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:33 PM

I always carried my bills and payment in my apron pocket in holders. I won't lose a card. That said, as you never mentioned the poor service initially and referred to scamming at the close of your segue into this story, it really seems like it is POSSIBLE there was a mistake. On a busy day, the wait staff has to check out the customers and it gets crowded at the machines. In an effort NOT to screw up, a well intention-ed waitperson would protect all cards and cash. Sometimes, they fall into pockets on an apron. I hope it was not a theft busted, I really feel that it was not. The story grew as we went along and now that I see it in its entirety, I stand by my hope of an unintended mistake. You resolved it the way you saw fit. We, as readers, observe your words and align one way or another. There is always room for cross consideration and I bet this gal was sick over it and not for almost getting caught.
Wishes don't make it so. I still have that gut feeling. And, no. I am not interested in buying any bridges.
Happy holidays and second chances go a long way to confirm ones suspicions.
Peace.

Tags
card, credit, gave, back, bill, mgr, good, mistake, part, max, impressed, tipped, revised, scammed, large, opinion, fact, guess, upset, 15%, gee, girl, husband, minutes, food

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.