Day and Night Experiences at Tierra del Sol Restaurat

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Day and Night Experiences at Tierra del Sol Restaurat

In one week we had a very satisfying and a very negative experience at the Tierra del Sol Restaurant. Their radio ads claim them to be "off the beaten path" and maybe that's a good thing. Apparently they lack good management overview or the owners don't care from night to night.
On Monday of last week we attended a fish fry dinner sponsored by one of the Wisconsin clubs. Cost was $17 including tip. The dining room was sold out at full capacity. We received 3 large pieces of fish, fries a nice salad, with fresh vegies mixed in, a basket of warm corn muffins and a cream-filled pastry for dessert; all served quickly and on time. A wonderful experience.
Based on that we made reservations for their 6:30-seating dinner on Friday for their "singing waiters" dinner. We had out of town guests and wanted to impress with TV lifestyle. We arrived and were seated on time. The dining area was only about 60% filled. Drinks and salad/soup arrived in due time, but the salads were of lettuce only, the bread basket was served with 4 pieces of very thinly sliced dried out, maybe French bread that maybe came from the Walmart bargain bin. Then a wait for the dinner which was finally served at 8:10, even though our server kept promising "everything would be out in 10 more minutes". What was finally served: the fish dinners consisted of one very small fillet, my steak would have better served as a truck tire patch, the rice was watery, baked potatoes were all burned on skin and vegies of the day was a big lump of canned green beans for everyone. Price $22 - $24 per meal. (for the show nights they offer only a limited dinner menu, so I assume they could serve things efficiently and have adequate quantities). At 8:30 the singing stopped , the house lights were turned on, we got a bill and plates were collected, eating finished or not. No dessert offered, bill presented and "don't let the door hit you in the fanny as you leave." And, all tables were being stripped and set up for the next morning.
My complaint; very poor value, very poor food, poor service, could not even determine if anyone was in charge, or even to comment to on the way out. There were another 10 or so tables of diners who appeared to experience what we did.
One saving grace about the evening, the singers were great! Too bad they have to be associated with that restaurant.
And yes, I am writing the owners about our disappointment. We have so few "independent" non-franchise restaurants around TV, its a shame when one screws up!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
In one week we had a very satisfying and a very negative experience at the Tierra del Sol Restaurant. Their radio ads claim them to be "off the beaten path" and maybe that's a good thing. Apparently they lack good management overview or the owners don't care from night to night.
On Monday of last week we attended a fish fry dinner sponsored by one of the Wisconsin clubs. Cost was $17 including tip. The dining room was sold out at full capacity. We received 3 large pieces of fish, fries a nice salad, with fresh vegies mixed in, a basket of warm corn muffins and a cream-filled pastry for dessert; all served quickly and on time. A wonderful experience.
Based on that we made reservations for their 6:30-seating dinner on Friday for their "singing waiters" dinner. We had out of town guests and wanted to impress with TV lifestyle. We arrived and were seated on time. The dining area was only about 60% filled. Drinks and salad/soup arrived in due time, but the salads were of lettuce only, the bread basket was served with 4 pieces of very thinly sliced dried out, maybe French bread that maybe came from the Walmart bargain bin. Then a wait for the dinner which was finally served at 8:10, even though our server kept promising "everything would be out in 10 more minutes". What was finally served: the fish dinners consisted of one very small fillet, my steak would have better served as a truck tire patch, the rice was watery, baked potatoes were all burned on skin and vegies of the day was a big lump of canned green beans for everyone. Price $22 - $24 per meal. (for the show nights they offer only a limited dinner menu, so I assume they could serve things efficiently and have adequate quantities). At 8:30 the singing stopped , the house lights were turned on, we got a bill and plates were collected, eating finished or not. No dessert offered, bill presented and "don't let the door hit you in the fanny as you leave." And, all tables were being stripped and set up for the next morning.
My complaint; very poor value, very poor food, poor service, could not even determine if anyone was in charge, or even to comment to on the way out. There were another 10 or so tables of diners who appeared to experience what we did.
One saving grace about the evening, the singers were great! Too bad they have to be associated with that restaurant.
And yes, I am writing the owners about our disappointment. We have so few "independent" non-franchise restaurants around TV, its a shame when one screws up!
Wow! They seem to be two diametrically opposed experiences in a matter of days which means there had to be something askew on your subsequent visit.

One thing that hit me in your post was "We had out of town guests and wanted to impress with TV lifestyle". We all have that feeling when we take our uninitiated friends or family to a restaurant in any of the Town Squares. Although your poor experience that evening would upset any one of us, it just seems to make it that much more disappointing.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM

We had the same thing happen to us, very limited menu, maybe five choices. I ordered pork chops. They were out of the pork chops, so I choose a steak. Absolutely terrible. No one at our table was happy with their food. The singing waiters were good but I would never, ever go there again.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM

I have to say I have eaten there numerous times and I have NEVER had a bad experience. We sit in the bar area most times. The only bad thing that ever happened there was they stopped giving complimentary cream puffs with dinner... They are soooo good! Needless to say I haven't had one since.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyJ View Post
I have to say I have eaten there numerous times and I have NEVER had a bad experience. We sit in the bar area most times. The only bad thing that ever happened there was they stopped giving complimentary cream puffs with dinner... They are soooo good! Needless to say I haven't had one since.
I agree.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechie View Post
Wow! They seem to be two diametrically opposed experiences in a matter of days which means there had to be something askew on your subsequent visit.

One thing that hit me in your post was "We had out of town guests and wanted to impress with TV lifestyle". We all have that feeling when we take our uninitiated friends or family to a restaurant in any of the Town Squares. Although your poor experience that evening would upset any one of us, it just seems to make it that much more disappointing.
Thank goodness the poor experience was overcome by fine meals at a Lopez Legacy dinner and an Orange Blossom brunch.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

It seems like any place that hires the singing waiters does so because they have poor food and cannot attract diners. The old "Havana" , before Lopez took over Hemingway's, the food was terrible. Now it is excellent, only second to Lopez CC itself. It is our favorite place because it is so close.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Platinum member

Jim 9922:
You learned what a lot of us have known for years.

Skip
Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Default Won't go back either

Love the singing waiters , the talent is amazing. The restaurant,not so much. Our dinner was blah ,served late,just warm. We had gone there for lunch previously the carpets are dirty, bar glasses hanging full of dust as well as the top shelve liquor.the place has a very old smell as soon as you enter.It has its own usuals and I'm sure they love it there but we will pass.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We have eaten there many friday evenings and for sunday brunches. Never experienced limited menus, bad food, dirty restaurant conditions or unfriendly staff. The building may be old but i've eaten in restaurants far older than any in the villages
Old 03-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Just ate there last night. I would have complained, but were with a large table and didn't want to hold up everyone else's dinner. Medium steak came out like shoe leather surrounded with fat. Mixed vegetables were out of a frozen food bag. Broccoli was grey, yes grey !! very overcooked. My shrimp and pasta was barely warm. I will just learn the lesson and never go back there again. the only saving grace was our fun table of friends, the singer (Steve Robinson) and we had a very nice waitress (Sandra Jane).
Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Default Singers Great Food Poor

We were there Fri night the singing waiters and guest opera singer were fantastic. The menu was limited, the food was average at best and the kitchen was slow. We would go for the show but would never go back for the food.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

The clubs that have the singing waiters always seem to have overpriced, lousy food. Remember when they were at Havana before Lopez took over that venue. Now Hemingway's is good, but a little higher. The quality is worth it.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnonne View Post
We were there Fri night the singing waiters and guest opera singer were fantastic. The menu was limited, the food was average at best and the kitchen was slow. We would go for the show but would never go back for the food.

So agree with you. The singers are very talented.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.