Diner in Pinellas Plaza

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Welcome to Florida, you did know that you would not be able to get NY food here didn't you? Coming for the PA dutch country we can't find our stuff here either (and frankly our home fries are better than NY home fries) so, we need to either adjust to what is here, cook at home or start our own breakfast place....ok, so only two options.
Yep, can't except to move over 1000 miles south and expect the same food. That would be like a Florida Cracker visiting N.Y. and complaining about the grits and biscuits and gravy.
If you don't mind going out of the bubble for about an hours ride in the country, the very best breakfast and home fries are found at "Reds" in Hernando. Google it.
If you choose fruit instead, then you'll get a plate that's the best I've seen. Pancakes are the size of a "57" Chevy hubcap. I'd suggest going during the week or you may have a very long wait for a table.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

Went to Darrell's this morning. Place was packed (about a 1/2 hr. wait for two at the counter). One server walked out in the middle of the rush. Food was good but not Rae Rae's good. But, many will be impressed with golf cart access.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Went to Darrell's this morning. Place was packed (about a 1/2 hr. wait for two at the counter). One server walked out in the middle of the rush. Food was good but not Rae Rae's good. But, many will be impressed with golf cart access.
When you say that a server walked out, do you know why? Maybe they were getting something at Winn Dixie because they ran out of an item...?
Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Gold member

My wife and I went to Darrels this morning. This was the second time we were there for breakfast. Back home in NJ there was one specific restaurant that had a "puffy" omelet. Since moving here 10 years ago I have tried all the omelets available locally and have not found one that compared to the NJ restaurant until this morning. Darrels omelet was wonderful. From what I understand in order to make an omelet rise you need to put some water into the egg mix. I don't know how true that is but I have finally found an omelet that I really like.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Sage

Just had lunch at Darrell's. The place was packed. We decided to eat at the counter. Was really fun watching all the action that takes place getting drinks, hot food out to customers. Service was great. Our Philly Cheese steak sandwiches were very good. Fries and onion rings were hot and crispy. The ladies rest room was neat and clean.... Lunch was an enjoyable adventure and we'll return....maybe breakfast next time...
Old 05-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Platinum member

All I ask for is a decent cheese omelette. Very much like the fluffy edition just described. And with the cheese inside not sprinkled on top. Pair that with french fries and whole wheat toast and I'll be a happy camper.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
When you say that a server walked out, do you know why? Maybe they were getting something at Winn Dixie because they ran out of an item...?
We were sitting at the counter, in front of area where the food comes out and a lot of servers come and go. When he left many of the servers said to each other "so and so just walked out". Later, our server told us on the QT that a "server had just walked out" (I tend to make friends easily). It was very hectic at the time with some order messups, so he may have just said to himself....I am out of here.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 PM

I ate there today and I was not impressed. Eggs over easy were runny, toast wasn't toasted nor buttered and waited a long time for a coffee refill. I will try it for lunch, I wouldn't want to rule it out completely on one visit..
Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Eggs over easy are runny there. I think it is explained on the menu. Over medium are like most places over easy. I always have to remember that when I eat there.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

///
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
My wife and I went to Darrels this morning. This was the second time we were there for breakfast. Back home in NJ there was one specific restaurant that had a "puffy" omelet. Since moving here 10 years ago I have tried all the omelets available locally and have not found one that compared to the NJ restaurant until this morning. Darrels omelet was wonderful. From what I understand in order to make an omelet rise you need to put some water into the egg mix. I don't know how true that is but I have finally found an omelet that I really like.

John
It is more a matter of how you cook the omelet that puts the volume in the eggs. This is done in more of a "French" way of cooking the omelet where you sorta scramble the eggs as you first cook them, this gives them more volume. It is also important to thoroughly whip / mix the eggs, as this also adds air and volume to the the eggs / omelet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU

Last edited by LndLocked; 05-17-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
I ate there today and I was not impressed. Eggs over easy were runny, toast wasn't toasted nor buttered and waited a long time for a coffee refill. I will try it for lunch, I wouldn't want to rule it out completely on one visit..
Hmmmm, thought eggs over easy were supposed to be runny?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM

Just went to the diner. My wife ordered 2 egg breakfast - was $8.15 and did not compare to Bob Evans. She said was very comparable to $2.99 breakfast at Burke's!! I had a Philly cheesesteak was OK, with good potato salad. However, took over 40 minutes to get our food, and my knife and my wife's fork were filthy. Excuse was is new restaurant and they are working the kinks out. Maybe the time element, but not filthy silverware!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.