Disappointed with Darrell's

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
I can't imagine any diner's business model being based on making people wait for their breakfast. We have eaten there 3 times. First time our wait was 30 minutes for our food, next time 45 minutes and the very last time was 30 minutes. I do not like how you only see your waitress when you order and when she brings you your check. We gave the place a chance and we won't be back.
We went there once and won't go back, either. Breakfast was OK, but nothing spectacular.

Oh, how I wish a NY/NJ style diner would open here - or near here.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Diners

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
We went there once and won't go back, either. Breakfast was OK, but nothing spectacular.

Oh, how I wish a NY/NJ style diner would open here - or near here.
Just curious---what makes a Ny/NJ diner different from another that gets it food out in 10-12 minutes? I totally agree 30 minutes is unacceptable and poor service is too.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Just curious---what makes a Ny/NJ diner different from another that gets it food out in 10-12 minutes? I totally agree 30 minutes is unacceptable and poor service is too.
extra grease
Old 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default The southern Waffle House

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
extra grease
Now your talking Waffle House! I do like their waffle's though.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Dancing Thyme

I like the food at Darrell's and have been there 3 or 4 times since it opened. The last time, I noticed a very long time to get a bagel sandwich and my guest had a problem with his breakfast order. So we go to Lil Bits and have no problem, no wait, maybe 5 minutes for a table or booth, but no time at all for delivery of our hot breakfast. Never been disappointed.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Today was our third time eating breakfast at Darrell's. The first time they were newly opened and very busy so we figured we would have to wait for our food a bit and we did. The seconded time we waited about 30 minutes for our eggs and French toast. We think that this is too long to wait for any breakfast item. We also thought it just may have been an off day for the kitchen and agreed to try again. Today, they were busy but not a long wait for a table, maybe 5 minutes. We ordered eggs and pancakes. Looking around, we saw a lot of people waiting for their meals and after we had been seated for about 25 minutes we heard the couple behind us asking the server about their breakfast. They were annoyed. She assured them it would be out soon. After they waited about 10 more minutes they walked out. This couple was there before we arrived. There were people sitting at the counter area waiting for their meals and when one couple got their breakfast they cheered...an indication they had been waiting a long time as well. We waited about 35-40 minutes for our breakfast and my pancake was not cooked...sent it back.....my husbands toast was just bread...sent it back as well. I asked the server why it took so long to get our food and she said they only have 3 cooks and are looking for a forth, someone that would fit in with the establishment. I'm guessing with a performance like this and many people looking anxious about not getting their breakfast in a timely manner, Darryll's could be in trouble. We feel we have given them a fair chance and they have not improved. It will be a while before we go back.
I truly doubt that Darrels is in trouble because YOU choose not to go back. I eat there once every week - 10 days... never a problem. If you dont want to wait for your food go to McDonalds. Darrel is opening another diner at the end of 462 on 301, unfortunatly this is not golf cart accessable. i know of at least 4 of his diners in this area and i have never had an issue at any of them. I'm a new yorker so you cant even say that you are not used to being in such a slow state...
Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop285 View Post
I truly doubt that Darrels is in trouble because YOU choose not to go back. I eat there once every week - 10 days... never a problem. If you dont want to wait for your food go to McDonalds. Darrel is opening another diner at the end of 462 on 301, unfortunatly this is not golf cart accessable. i know of at least 4 of his diners in this area and i have never had an issue at any of them. I'm a new yorker so you cant even say that you are not used to being in such a slow state...
You seem to be a little testy.......it seems that you are the only one who thinks that I said Darrells is in trouble only due to my recent experience. Based upon my observation while waiting for my food, there were SEVERAL people who were looking very anxious due to the time they had to wait for their breakfast. We overheard others voicing their displeasure as well. The couple that got up and left without even getting their breakfast was just one example. Others clapped when their food arrived, clearly indicating that the wait was extremely long. From what I saw, it wouldn't be out of the question that they lose customers based on the reaction of the diners. Most would agree that 30-40 minutes to wait for breakfast is excessive. Please don't pounce on me for my delivery of my experience from this diner. I read that others agree with me and others have had a positive experience at Darrells. This forum is for people to be able to voice the good, the bad, and the ugly. Agree or not, don't chastise us for our opinions. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Love Darryl's -- Will Wait

Happinow it looks like you ate there on a Sunday, March 6 according to your post. A bit of advice from one of Darryl's frequent customers -- AVOID Sunday's if you don't have time to wait. There are church groups, golf groups and other large parties that throw the whole system out of whack.

If I walk up and see a bunch of people waiting, that's my clue to take it elsewhere or be prepared to wait -- sometimes a long time.

As far as food not being prepared properly, I would send it back, ask for Darryl or one of the floor managers to expedite it. I've sent several items back, primarily because bacon or hash browns were not crispy as ordered.

I probably eat there 3-4 times a week -- it's not perfect but it's cooked to order, fresh and their homemade pies and cakes are to die for and $3 for a huge slice.

Oops----I just spilled the beans, now I'll never get cake as they'll be SOLD OUT!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I like the food at Darrell's and have been there 3 or 4 times since it opened. The last time, I noticed a very long time to get a bagel sandwich and my guest had a problem with his breakfast order. So we go to Lil Bits and have no problem, no wait, maybe 5 minutes for a table or booth, but no time at all for delivery of our hot breakfast. Never been disappointed.
Lil Bits is our favorite too. We had breakfast once at Darrell's in Pinellas. That was once too many. There are just too many good choices for breakfast to be annoyed by poor, slow service and incorrect orders.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Sage

Shhhh...Lil Bits is the best kept secret! Try their Mexican omelette.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Disappointed with Darrell's

I avoid Darrell's altogether and cook my own breakfast.

Last edited by RickeyD; 03-09-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
breakfast, minutes, long, time, couple, waited, wait, back, people, waiting, server, meals, toast, food, busy, today, eggs, darrells, bread, husbands, area, asked, cheered, 35-40, pancake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.