Fish and Chips - NE Style.

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

At one time, Bonifay Country Club served a very nice fish and fries dinner.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
The NE style, which can vary quite a lot not just from Maine to Connecticut...but from 1 establishment to the next in the same town; so I guess it's a bit ambiguous to say there is 1 NE style...given that subjective approach, your description above is similar in some ways to a couple of my favorite fish joints as far as packaging for take-out. It's probably easier to say the NE fish & chips style I preferred closely resembled what was served at Athens on SS square. Deep fried light flaky fresh haddock, a crispy breaded crust (maybe corn meal or some other type of flour beer-batter coating)...cooked to a texture where the fish easily flakes apart, not dry, not oily, not overcooked. Some places served this up a little soggier and heavier than others, but still quite tasty. Typically the cooked haddock easily filled at least 1/2 of a standard dinner plate, and at least 1 inch thick. Seems like it should be an easy meal to crank out consistently good, when you start with a decent fresh piece of fish...but much dining on f&c all across the NE states (& Florida) proves otherwise. And chowder...that's another whole dilemma...anyway, the search continues.
Give the Lighthouse a try - next best thing locally that we have found.

Chowder - just found Legal Seafood Clam Chowder in Sam's. Brought it home warmed it up that night and almost threw up, the clams were huge chunks like trying to eat an eraser whole ............... it was the most disgusting thing we have ever had! The other half worked close to Inman Square in Boston and used to walk over to Legal with a group of co-workers for their chowder, so we know chowder.

I was so bxxx xxxt to have paid good money for this Legal "stuff" that I contacted Legal, they in turn passed me over to some poor woman who was working the desk at a company that now packages Legal Seafood Chowder. She told me the chowder is made by various companies and they have no idea who is making it, just put into plastic cartons, two to a packet, and shipped out. She sent us a check to cover the cost and that's "all she wrote". So at least now we know that Legal no longer makes their own chowder in spite of the folksy family blub on their packaging. Just one more great company cutting corners on their product.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
In Michigan, it was usually cod, haddock or lake perch. YUM !!!! Sometimes pollock, but I like that too. I'm not a big tiapia person.
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrch!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I know !!!!! It's definitely one of the food items I miss !!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I don't know anything about NE style fish and chips but the best I ever had was in Scotland in the early 60's at a fish and chips place right across the street where I rented a flat for about a year in a town called Auchenblae. They were given to me wrapped in a newspaper as is a British tradition for probably a hundred years or more, and poured over them was their malt vineagar. The "chips" were NOT cut like french fries but in chunks.
If you find a good place, please post it here so I can try it.
The Fish Fry the OP was referring to at Athens is a style that came from Rochester, NY where the owners are from. They use haddock.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I believe the Burger Station (formerly Blue Plate Deli) at the Shell Station at Colony now has Lake Perch from Michigan.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Tried the Fried Haddock All You Can Eat at the Sidewalk Café in La Plaza Grande last night it was excellent. For those who have always enjoyed Athens I believe you will be pleasantly surprised at the similarity of the quality and taste. Available at this time only on Fridays and is $11.00. Believe it is worth a try!!!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Platinum member

Hate to say this but Arthur Treachers fast food chain in San Francisco had great fish and chips years ago.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:30 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
Hate to say this but Arthur Treachers fast food chain in San Francisco had great fish and chips years ago.
I haven't seen an Arthur Treachers in years but I did like their fish and chips
Old 12-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

Didn't the Villages Walmart have an Arthur Treacher's about 5-6 years ago?
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Give the Lighthouse a try - next best thing locally that we have found.

Chowder - just found Legal Seafood Clam Chowder in Sam's. Brought it home warmed it up that night and almost threw up, the clams were huge chunks like trying to eat an eraser whole ............... it was the most disgusting thing we have ever had! The other half worked close to Inman Square in Boston and used to walk over to Legal with a group of co-workers for their chowder, so we know chowder.

I was so bxxx xxxt to have paid good money for this Legal "stuff" that I contacted Legal, they in turn passed me over to some poor woman who was working the desk at a company that now packages Legal Seafood Chowder. She told me the chowder is made by various companies and they have no idea who is making it, just put into plastic cartons, two to a packet, and shipped out. She sent us a check to cover the cost and that's "all she wrote". So at least now we know that Legal no longer makes their own chowder in spite of the folksy family blub on their packaging. Just one more great company cutting corners on their product.
Plenty of good suggestions for Fish & Chips, thanks folks...we will eventually try them all, this is a lifelong quest. Oh boy, the clam chowder subject...discussing chowder preferences has led to several wars I believe. I never really expect to find decent NE clam chowder anywhere, so when I do find one that pleases my palate, it's a significant dining event. I've had two clam chowders since moving to Florida that are more than good - they are both really good and also quite different from each other. So, I have a pretty wide comfort range for grading clam chowder; I'll not tell where these chowders are served...to protect myself from the required onslaught of criticism that follows publishing chowder high grades and recommendations. So don't tell anyone about the chowder at Bunky's (Rt. A1A, Indiatlantic) or Tony's in Cedar Key...you didn't hear about them from me.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Plenty of good suggestions for Fish & Chips, thanks folks...we will eventually try them all, this is a lifelong quest. Oh boy, the clam chowder subject...discussing chowder preferences has led to several wars I believe. I never really expect to find decent NE clam chowder anywhere, so when I do find one that pleases my palate, it's a significant dining event. I've had two clam chowders since moving to Florida that are more than good - they are both really good and also quite different from each other. So, I have a pretty wide comfort range for grading clam chowder; I'll not tell where these chowders are served...to protect myself from the required onslaught of criticism that follows publishing chowder high grades and recommendations. So don't tell anyone about the chowder at Bunky's (Rt. A1A, Indiatlantic) or Tony's in Cedar Key...you didn't hear about them from me.
I favor both Manhattan and New England clam chowder. Miss the clam bakes we had back home
Old 12-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
. So don't tell anyone about the chowder at Bunky's (Rt. A1A, Indiatlantic) or Tony's in Cedar Key...you didn't hear about them from me.

You can buy Tony's, which has won many awards for the best chowder anywhere, now in cans in Publix.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Wink Tony's in a Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
You can buy Tony's, which has won many awards for the best chowder anywhere, now in cans in Publix.
Yes we've tried Tony's in can as well, bought at Publix (which seemed to stop carrying it for a while, but it's back); we had it last week as a matter of fact.

It is probably the best clam chowder in a can I've had (my personal taste), very close to what the restaurant in Cedar Key serves. I can see (taste) why Tony's has won many chowder awards, not only is it good but it is unique (to me, your experience may vary) in it's mild spicy kick...which at first seemed weird, but now I really enjoy.

We sometimes add potatoes & corn niblets for a really fine "winter" meal...please leave us a few cans on the shelf. Thanks.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"

Last edited by grayesun; 12-12-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
fish, athens, place, chips, friday, fish-fix, sam, spot, reliable, johns, cart, golf, find, here;, accessible, closed, restaurant, style, good, deep, found, cod, fried, haddock

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.