Fried chicken

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Platinum member

My mother n laws cape cod oven fried chicken is the best.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Default Best fried chicken

Mc Calls, but if you don't mind the ride to Belleview, try Aunt Fanny's, real country cookin'
Old 06-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

McCall's, Golden Corral, and Publix.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. Now we will have to decide on just one, I am thinking a road trip may be in order.

Peace.

Vicar of Dibley
Old 06-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

McCalls is the best I have found locally.

I use to like Publix .... but now I find that it is WAY to salty. (note: while I do use salt when cooking, I never salt anything at the table. So my salt tolerance is pretty low.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 PM

Maryland Fried Chicken (Leesburg). Light breading, very crispy and the chicken is very moist. Inexpensive and worth the drive (about 15m from TV up 44).
Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM

McCalls is by far the best Southern Fried chicken for this Southern born gal. We have been eating it here for about 7 years and never disappointed.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:56 PM

McCalls is by far the best Southern Fried Chicken for this Southern born gal. Have been going there just for the fried chicken for over 7 years.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Mallory Country club....I believe they offer it on Sunday until it is gone. My southern grandmother use to get a skillet with grease smoking it was so hot. They do not have a lot of crust like you get at Publics.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulascorpio View Post
Maryland Fried Chicken (Leesburg). Light breading, very crispy and the chicken is very moist. Inexpensive and worth the drive (about 15m from TV up 44).
I looked it up-I gotta go there--this is quite a story:
The Story
Since the days of Mary Randolph, perhaps no one has done more to make "Maryland fried chicken" a familiar term than Albert Constantine, actually a native of nearby Wilmington, Del. After moving to Florida in 1959, Constantine, then 39, decided to become a restaurateur. With only "$2,500 and good credit," he bought a place in the Orlando area, dubbed it Constantine's, and served a traditional full menu.
Two years later, another newcomer appeared on the local dining scene--an honorary Kentucky colonel named Harland Sanders. "He had a line outside his store every day and all day Sunday," Constantine complains. "I figured I could do business like that too."

But first, he had to come up with a counter to the colonel's meal ticket. Constantine had a "broaster," a pressure-fryer for chicken, and he decided to put it to use. He experimented with thousands of combinations of ingredients; eventually he came up with a breading that he says incorporated 21 herbs and spices. Then he pressure-fried the chicken in pure peanut oil.

"It wasn't greasy at all," Constantine contends. "It was the best chicken in the world."

Now ready to engage the colonel fowl for fowl, Constantine had a stroke of marketing genius. A few years earlier, Maryland-based aerospace giant Glenn L. Martin Co. (now Lockheed Martin Corp.) opened an Orlando plant, which brought a wave of Baltimoreans to town. Eager to exploit the Mobtowners' likely need for "a taste of home," Constantine went for the jugular: "I called my place Maryland Fried Chicken and put up a 35-foot sign. From day one, people snapped it up."

He went on to establish a chain of MFCs that earned him millions before he finally sold the franchise operation in 1975. Retired since then, he says he spends his time "dancing with pretty ladies" and traveling. Meanwhile, MFC eateries still thrive in a host of states, although not their namesake; the nearest outposts are in Bethlehem and Easton, Pa. But they still get most of their birds from Delmarva producers--and, Constantine says, still traffic in the nostalgic ideal of family farms and picnics in the sun.

"I hear it's a good way of life," he says. "I guess for a lot of people, the chicken represents that."
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Another vote for McCalls
Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Mallory Country club....I believe they offer it on Sunday until it is gone. My southern grandmother use to get a skillet with grease smoking it was so hot. They do not have a lot of crust like you get at Publics.
You can order the chicken 3 ways at Publix. Regular which is double breaded. Single Breaded or the way I like it no breading comes out a golden brown.
Closed Thread

Tags
chicken, fried, southern, free, gmo, non-healthy, good, fashioned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.