Glen View CC

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Glen View CC

I have thought long and hard about doing this, but here goes.

Went to Glen View for lunch yesterday and I can honestly say the food was absolutely disgusting. Thick pea soup, so thick you could stand the spoon up in it all on its own and a mini shrimp salad croissant all for the cheap cheap price of $5.50 and that is probably more than the food was worth. The croissant had obviously been in the refrigerator for some considerable time, it was cold and damp and, what should have been the crusty parts of the flaky top, were coming off in wet blobs.

We have had some great times at Glen View since we moved here some years ago, but today they lost us. I know something about the restaurant business and I would like to tell the new owner that he is killing his own business and once you kill a restaurant it takes YEARS to get your clientele back.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have thought long and hard about doing this, but here goes.

Went to Glen View for lunch yesterday and I can honestly say the food was absolutely disgusting. Thick pea soup, so thick you could stand the spoon up in it all on its own and a mini shrimp salad croissant all for the cheap cheap price of $5.50 and that is probably more than the food was worth. The croissant had obviously been in the refrigerator for some considerable time, it was cold and damp and, what should have been the crusty parts of the flaky top, were coming off in wet blobs.

We have had some great times at Glen View since we moved here some years ago, but today they lost us. I know something about the restaurant business and I would like to tell the new owner that he is killing his own business and once you kill a restaurant it takes YEARS to get your clientele back.
They have changed hands in the last few months. They, and Mallory are being run by someone different. Restaurants lease the buildings and sign leases for a number of years so I guess they will be here for awhile. I LIKED the way it was run by the people who used to run it, but I guess even restauranteurs get old and retire.

I just wonder why when someone takes over a successful business that they don't run it the same way, employ the same people, use the same procedures. I would think it would be more about making money than putting your "spin" on it. But no one asks me.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM

I have to agree. Always liked the food in the past but was there a couple of weeks ago and the grouper was old and uneatable. They took it off my check. Doesn't look like things have changed.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
They have changed hands in the last few months. They, and Mallory are being run by someone different. Restaurants lease the buildings and sign leases for a number of years so I guess they will be here for awhile. I LIKED the way it was run by the people who used to run it, but I guess even restauranteurs get old and retire.

I just wonder why when someone takes over a successful business that they don't run it the same way, employ the same people, use the same procedures. I would think it would be more about making money than putting your "spin" on it. But no one asks me.
Mallory is still owned and operated by Ray Fredrick. I believe he just renewed his lease for 5 more years. The only connection between Fredrick and Glenview was the former owner of Glenview was a partner with him in the 110 St. Grill in Belleview,which closed not too long ago. Go Bucks!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:50 PM

had the same bad experience a few weeks ago. "Soup" was basically chicken boullion with no noodles or chicken to be found. Croissant sandwich had been made quite a bit before, as it was cold, not fresh, and barely a scoop of chicken salad. when we mentioned it on our way out, the hostess didn't even react. almost gave the attitude of "what do you expect for that price?" she shrugged her shoulders and walked away. last time I go there or take anyone there when visiting. too many good restaurants to give the business to.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebu View Post
had the same bad experience a few weeks ago. "Soup" was basically chicken boullion with no noodles or chicken to be found. Croissant sandwich had been made quite a bit before, as it was cold, not fresh, and barely a scoop of chicken salad. when we mentioned it on our way out, the hostess didn't even react. almost gave the attitude of "what do you expect for that price?" she shrugged her shoulders and walked away. last time I go there or take anyone there when visiting. too many good restaurants to give the business to.
Unfortunately agree. Had dinner there a couple of weeks ago. Steak was too tough to enjoy. A friend of mine had the same experience last week. They were a good restaurant, hate to see the change.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

We went there the other night.My friend's steak was tough so was sent back.New steak-still tough.Waitress very apologetic,our food was fine.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I wish this were not happening to Glenview.

Glenview was once one of the best in TV.

I hope they get their act together. It would be such a shame to waste those lovely surroundings by serving bad food. I sincerely hope to see some good reviews soon.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-17-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 PM

I read with interest the other day because we had reservations to dine at Glenview soon after. I really don't understand the inconsistency, but our dinner the other night was great. Of the 6 of us, four ordered from the specials menu, and two from the main menu. All the salads were crisp and fresh, the dinners well prepared and hot. Maybe we just got lucky, but we were very pleased with our meals and will go again. Just wanted everyone to know that perhaps all is not lost.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
I read with interest the other day because we had reservations to dine at Glenview soon after. I really don't understand the inconsistency, but our dinner the other night was great. Of the 6 of us, four ordered from the specials menu, and two from the main menu. All the salads were crisp and fresh, the dinners well prepared and hot. Maybe we just got lucky, but we were very pleased with our meals and will go again. Just wanted everyone to know that perhaps all is not lost.
I am really glad you posted. We spent many, many great nights at Glenview and would love to do so again. I hope you are right, maybe the new owner reads TOTV!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Sad.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Veteran member

don't think they care,snowbirds will eat anything I guess,
Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Eternal Member

Mrs. Trap and I took a visiting couple to Glenview yesterday (Saturday) for lunch.

The items ordered were: the Wedge Steak Salad, the $5.99 Hamburger special, the Florida Festival Salad, and the $5.99 Shrimp Salad sandwich with Baked Potato Soup.

The hamburger was ordered medium and was cooked to medium. Our guest loved it! The Florida Salad had fresh strawberries on it and Mrs. Trap said it was a delicious salad. The other guest enjoyed her Steak Salad but said it was too much food for lunch. I had the Shrimp salad on a croissant. Wow! It was chock full of whole shrimp that were seasoned to perfection. The croissant was fresh and flaky. The soup was thick, tasty, and hot!

Our waitress was excellent! Great personality AND on top of things like refills of soda and water.

We always like Glenview and our guests were impressed by this restaurant- as well as the rest of The Villages. (Maybe I can get a commission if they buy?)
Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Mrs. Trap and I took a visiting couple to Glenview yesterday (Saturday) for lunch.

The items ordered were: the Wedge Steak Salad, the $5.99 Hamburger special, the Florida Festival Salad, and the $5.99 Shrimp Salad sandwich with Baked Potato Soup.

The hamburger was ordered medium and was cooked to medium. Our guest loved it! The Florida Salad had fresh strawberries on it and Mrs. Trap said it was a delicious salad. The other guest enjoyed her Steak Salad but said it was too much food for lunch. I had the Shrimp salad on a croissant. Wow! It was chock full of whole shrimp that were seasoned to perfection. The croissant was fresh and flaky. The soup was thick, tasty, and hot!

Our waitress was excellent! Great personality AND on top of things like refills of soda and water.

We always like Glenview and our guests were impressed by this restaurant- as well as the rest of The Villages. (Maybe I can get a commission if they buy?)
Sounds Yummy. Glenview has always been one of our favorites. I love the atmosphere and décor too.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

Really appreciate your update Sandtrap. On your recommendation we will give it another try.

Closed Thread

Tags
glen, view, years, food, thick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.