Glenview has a Nice View, but.....

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 AM
Thumbs down Glenview has a Nice View, but.....

Well, I did it again.
Finished 9 holes of golf and headed to Glenview for a nice burger and good chit-chat with another couple in our 4-some.
"I'll have a hamburger, medium rare and well done fries, please."
"Medium well or well done?" queried our lovely waitress.
"Medium rare, thanks." Let me explain.........." the waitress stated.
It turns out that you can only get MEDIUM WELL OR WELL DONE on Saturdays when they have a "special" going on.
I WENT OFF THE BOARD AND BOUGHT A VOWEL and goe the $8.49 burger and was offered toppings galore and cooked to order! In that case, "I would like a burger, med-rare with WELL DONE GRILLED ONIONS. If they come to me white and firm, I will send the meal back, so, just please have them cooked?". "Of course" and off my order went.
Some 10 mins go by and all 4 meals come and my RAW ONIONS with a slathering of grease on them arrive with the waitress saying, "I told them you would send them back but was told to send it".
Back it went.
Six minutes later, HUGE pile of uncooked; not even barely warm onions are slopped onto the same, cold burger.
Back it went.
The others are on their last two bites and my WELL DONE BURGER with greasier onions arrives.
They served me the same pre-cooked burger that was $3 cheaper. That is why it's MW or WD only. Pre-cook then reheat.
Took it off the bill and I got no lunch.
Asked to see manager of dining room who, after 4 minutes of keeping me waiting, approached with a smug attitude and feigned interest. Arms folded across the chest is not a good approach.
I was hungry and frustrated. The place was quiet and not overworked.
I was told by a different server that the onions are NOT grilled and sautee is the cook they put on them. She listened as she had asked if she could help me. I was in the lobby of the restaurant WAITING for the ? manager.
Once the alleged manager arrived, I asked, "If you don't serve grilled onions, WHY DO YOU HAVE IT ALL OVER THE MENU" ??? He nodded and provided a slight, left head tilt as a response.
(Grilled..... soft...brown...yummy...offered on several items but NOT PROVIDED.)
Imagine the concept. Hamburger with grilled onions...but we don't mean it.
How hard is that?
The food, for me, SUCKED.
I will not go back.... EVER.
They will not care....EVER.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Having set up meetings conferences etc for many attendees i can tell you that you can't please all of the people all of the time. some folks are more accommodating while others nit pick...and I learned that you never never have chicken on the bone at a meeting with more than one person.

I would agree that many eateries here simply do not get it. My guess is that there is a large percentage of turnover and hence managerial inexperience because much of what is written on these pages are situations that could be avoided in the first place. In fairness to businesses it indeed must be difficult to adapt when the population continues a cycling of expansion contraction.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

To the OP: You have every right to complain, in any manner and length you see fit.

Just be prepared for those that will criticize you for doing so.

Oops, too late I see.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I go to eat after golf sometimes and we have anywhere from 4 to a dozen people. I can't imagine how the wait staff handle it. It seems NO ONE can order something already on the menu. They all want to modify it in some way. Split this sandwich between Joe and Moe, hold the onions on my salad, bring me extra pickles, make my fries extra crispy, and on and on. And then they all want separate checks. I think they are miracle workers to even come close.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 AM
Sage

If any restaurant can't make what the customer wants-they are not a restaurant--they are nothing but a school cafeteria or a military chow line

What really amazes me its what people settle for as far as food is concerned in the villages.

Looks like the prime criteria for eating out is: prices, happy hour and quantity

Quality goes out the window when you're looking for the above
Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If any restaurant can't make what the customer wants-they are not a restaurant--they are nothing but a school cafeteria or a military chow line

What really amazes me its what people settle for as far as food is concerned in the villages.

Looks like the prime criteria for eating out is: prices, happy hour and quantity

Quality goes out the window when you're looking for the above
I would like to meet you because you are probably a gourmet. I have never lived in New York, but I sat at many tables in relatives home in Ohio where yummy stuff was served. I think everybody has their individual idea of what is yummy. I don't think I am picky, but I have never eaten Calimari and don't have any plans at this point. I know Ronsroni and she is a great person so I respect what she has to say. I don't like rare burgers and don't mind unbrowned onions.

I think that most of the restaurants around these parts cater to average food with pretty good prices and that seems to work for people who go out to eat a lot and don't want to outlive their money. (I don't go out to eat a lot, but I don't want to outlive my money either).

I still cook at home most of the time and really don't put as much time and effort as I did when more of us sat around the table, but I don't get any complaints. It may be that Sweetie and Helene are afraid of me. I didn't realize that I was a Bully until lately. Poor souls.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I go to eat after golf sometimes and we have anywhere from 4 to a dozen people. I can't imagine how the wait staff handle it. It seems NO ONE can order something already on the menu. They all want to modify it in some way. Split this sandwich between Joe and Moe, hold the onions on my salad, bring me extra pickles, make my fries extra crispy, and on and on. And then they all want separate checks. I think they are miracle workers to even come close.
I've never understood why people this picky even bother going out to eat.I imagine they're never satisfied and always complain they didn't get what they want. Order something off the menu you like and pick the onions off. I agree the wait staff to even get close is a miracle!!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

I just wanted to say that I like your post, l2ridehd.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 AM

I sympathize with the OP. Odd they can overcook the hamburger, but undercook the onions, dyslexic ? My pet peeve is breakfast, I can almost never go anywhere and get corned beef hash cooked the way i like it.....burned. I am not a gourmet, just a customer. Bill
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would like to meet you because you are probably a gourmet. I have never lived in New York, but I sat at many tables in relatives home in Ohio where yummy stuff was served. I think everybody has their individual idea of what is yummy. I don't think I am picky, but I have never eaten Calimari and don't have any plans at this point. I know Ronsroni and she is a great person so I respect what she has to say. I don't like rare burgers and don't mind unbrowned onions.

I think that most of the restaurants around these parts cater to average food with pretty good prices and that seems to work for people who go out to eat a lot and don't want to outlive their money. (I don't go out to eat a lot, but I don't want to outlive my money either).

I still cook at home most of the time and really don't put as much time and effort as I did when more of us sat around the table, but I don't get any complaints. It may be that Sweetie and Helene are afraid of me. I didn't realize that I was a Bully until lately. Poor souls.
A Bully, NOT! I understand the frustration of the order not coming out just as it was envisioned by the OP but such a fuss is probably not worthy in this case. Could there be a middle of the road that would have been acceptable? Nobody can pull off an order perfectly like home cooking. I am from the Tri State area and have been to many of the high end eateries. No big deal. The most important meal I ever had is the next one and I'm going to do my best to enjoy it or get through it peacefully. My watch is over, My Bullying days are over too!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:03 AM
Sage

Final thought would you ever consider flying on an airline that had the degree of consistency that a good number of the restaurants in the villages display.

Would you return to an auto dealer whose customer service, matched the customer service that of a number of restaurants here have.

Would you use a physician who had the same compassion & understanding that several restaurant mgrs have displayed.

Some institutions are not perfect, but in general--the dining public here has spoiled them to a degree that they have forgotten who depends on whom

Just look @ the restaurants that have gone away--Tiera Del Sol, The Old Havana CC
, Luiginos, --they didn't care !!! and they're gone
Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Sage

We used to volunteer at the American Legion when we lived in Ohio. When we had our burger special we didn't take special orders. Why? Because the grill was loaded with burgers and it was hard enough to keep up with the demand. I imagine that is the case here. We cooked our burgers only one way, medium well and some were a little over. Probably any other day of the week when it wasn't burger special day you could have had what you wanted but the cook was probably slammed with burger and fry orders. We also did grilled onions alongside. It's hard to make enough of the onions for everyone especially grilled ones. They take up a lot of room on the grill. They should have just told you they were out of grilled onions instead of what they chose to do.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Checked out Celebration FL as a possible retirement destination and ordered my hamburger medium rare at one of the popular restaurants. Was told that it was not possible and medium was my next best option.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:29 AM
Sage

My parents owned a luncheonette, with my mother doing the cooking of hot sandwiches. She was a great cook.

It always amazed me how some customers gave instructions to her as they wanted their meal prepared like it was their own mother making their meal. She always tried to satisfy the customers. This was in the fifty's and sixties and I thought it was the way times were back then.

I guess it really hasn't changed at all. Customers should get what they want but it helps to be flexible, as it isn't the way you or would have your mother prepared it for you.

The best one was a customer who asked for mayo on a meatball wedge with sauce. EEEWWWW........but that's the way he wanted it and got it.

OP made a reasonable request and it should have been honored, but personally, I would not have gotten all worked up about it but that's me.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Eternal Member

Personally, I have never been disappointed at Glenview with a meal. Very good food at very reasonable prices.

If the OP ordered his medium rare burger and well done grilled onions and did not get them perfect - so what? He got a good burger and good conversations with his golf buddies. You are retired! Enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff.

At Glenview, you are in a very nice restaurant with very moderate prices. It is not Ruth Chris. Imagine a large group going into Ruth Chris and all wanting separate checks! Or going into Ruth Chris, ordering a glass of water and then adding your Crystal Light Lemonade to it in front of the server! I have seen Villagers order water and a dish of lemon wedges so they can make free lemonade. I have seen Villagers get a takeaway box for leftovers and then ask for another basket of bread and put that in the takeaway box.

Enjoy yourselves and enjoy life!
Closed Thread

Tags
onions, burger, back, grilled, medium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.