Glenview has a Nice View, but.....

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 AM

I quit going to Glenview when I ordered a side of toast and was brought 1 piece of toast. When I asked where the other piece was, the server cut it in half and told me "ok, now you gave two pieces."
Old 07-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Eternal Member

Many restaurants do not allow anyone to modify specials or discounted meals. I like the bar burger at Codys. They won't modify it. The idea is it's a cheaper item that lots out quick. They don't want to spend a lot of time with temperature, no lettuce, extra lettuce, onions, no onions and on & on. If you want to do that, you order the regular burger. No problems here.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Sage

But the OP already mentioned he had to go off the specials menu to get the burger cooked the way he wanted it. So he was not modifying a special. I agree with the post above that if you run out of grilled onions, just tell the patron. Don't substitute raw or nearly raw onions. If they had done that, at least the OP would have had a burger cooked to his desires (I hope) even without the grilled onions.

There really isn't a substitute for grilled onions. They add a lot to the taste of a burger or whatever they are on. And if you have grilled onions as an option on several items on the menu, take the time to prepare a lot of them in advance. They keep warm very nicely. It's called prep work.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
But the OP already mentioned he had to go off the specials menu to get the burger cooked the way he wanted it. So he was not modifying a special. I agree with the post above that if you run out of grilled onions, just tell the patron. Don't substitute raw or nearly raw onions. If they had done that, at least the OP would have had a burger cooked to his desires (I hope) even without the grilled onions.

There really isn't a substitute for grilled onions. They add a lot to the taste of a burger or whatever they are on. And if you have grilled onions as an option on several items on the menu, take the time to prepare a lot of them in advance. They keep warm very nicely. It's called prep work.

Unfortunately, by my observation, Glenview management doesn't seem to care, or just maybe they leave the place in the charge of employees who don't care. In any event, one of the least desirable places to go in these parts.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Final thought would you ever consider flying on an airline that had the degree of consistency that a good number of the restaurants in the villages display.

Would you return to an auto dealer whose customer service, matched the customer service that of a number of restaurants here have.

Would you use a physician who had the same compassion & understanding that several restaurant mgrs have displayed.

Some institutions are not perfect, but in general--the dining public here has spoiled them to a degree that they have forgotten who depends on whom

Just look @ the restaurants that have gone away--Tiera Del Sol, The Old Havana CC
, Luiginos, --they didn't care !!! and they're gone

So, what's the point? That's how it works. If you don't like how a place operates....don't go.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I go to eat after golf sometimes and we have anywhere from 4 to a dozen people. I can't imagine how the wait staff handle it. It seems NO ONE can order something already on the menu. They all want to modify it in some way. Split this sandwich between Joe and Moe, hold the onions on my salad, bring me extra pickles, make my fries extra crispy, and on and on. And then they all want separate checks. I think they are miracle workers to even come close.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Final thought would you ever consider flying on an airline that had the degree of consistency that a good number of the restaurants in the villages display.

Would you return to an auto dealer whose customer service, matched the customer service that of a number of restaurants here have.

Would you use a physician who had the same compassion & understanding that several restaurant mgrs have displayed.

Some institutions are not perfect, but in general--the dining public here has spoiled them to a degree that they have forgotten who depends on whom

Just look @ the restaurants that have gone away--Tiera Del Sol, The Old Havana CC
, Luiginos, --they didn't care !!! and they're gone
You do know that airlines, physicians and car dealers get the same sort of complaints as restaurants and many of them no longer exist....just saying
Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Personally, I have never been disappointed at Glenview with a meal. Very good food at very reasonable prices.

If the OP ordered his medium rare burger and well done grilled onions and did not get them perfect - so what? He got a good burger and good conversations with his golf buddies. You are retired! Enjoy life and don't sweat the small stuff.

At Glenview, you are in a very nice restaurant with very moderate prices. It is not Ruth Chris. Imagine a large group going into Ruth Chris and all wanting separate checks! Or going into Ruth Chris, ordering a glass of water and then adding your Crystal Light Lemonade to it in front of the server! I have seen Villagers order water and a dish of lemon wedges so they can make free lemonade. I have seen Villagers get a takeaway box for leftovers and then ask for another basket of bread and put that in the takeaway box.

Enjoy yourselves and enjoy life!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Sage

If you settle for garbage be it food or service, you get fed the same

Honestly , I feel the bird of the villages of villages is the ostrich
Old 07-31-2016, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post

I've never understood why people this picky even bother going out to eat.I imagine they're never satisfied and always complain they didn't get what they want. Order something off the menu you like and pick the onions off. I agree the wait staff to even get close is a miracle!!
Spot on. I seem to always get food the way I ASK for it, i.e., this morning at Darrell's - #2 with scrambled eggs well done, crispy hash browns and a diet (don't care if it's Pepsi or Coke) with very little ice. The privileged/entitled should treat the wait staff with respect and will probably get food the way they ask for it.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

While I basically agree, all too often I see people who are hard bent on demanding that everything be different than presented on the menu.... and then hold everyone up with their picky requirements.

More than once at Publix I have seen someone ask for 1/2 pound of something and when it went over by a few grams, they threw a fit and made the worker pick off a few strands to make it exactly 1/2 pound.

You couldn't pay me enough to put up with what seems to be more than our fair share of really nasty/mean/entitled old folks.

CNM

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 08-01-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:20 AM
Email Reported As Spam

It is obvious that threads such as this go nowhere. and I posit that there is not a right or a wrong there just is. How can you argue against what people like or don't like? Isn't it presumption to do so?
People's expectations are based on the total sum of who they are and what they learned and/or experienced. And that's why I say you can't please all of the time nor should you expect to.

Its all good and in the long run things such as this do not matter

Cst la vie
Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I have noted the many posts you have made about the food in The Villages. I remember that you have said that you drive to Orlando with your wife to enjoy a good meal. You had suggested forming a group to hire a bus and enjoy this experience with the two of you.

This is important to you and it is something that is making you unhappy. But Mr. Brat I don't think we all have our heads in the sand like an ostrich. I think many of us recognize and enjoy good food. I think many of us have not budgeted the price of that pleasure into our retirement years as a frequent experience.

It appears that in this community more expensive restaurants do not prosper. Some of the older residents will tell you that many years ago a couple of the country clubs required coats and ties and served more expensive food that was prepped and cooked on site by good kitchens. That was soon modified by lack of participation.

I am made happy by cooking at home. Sometimes easily prepared simple foods are very satisfying and good.

Please forgive the frequent leg pulling I post about New Yorkers. I proudly claim many as treasured friends, but sometimes they are a little too big for their britches, as we all are about firmly held beliefs about things we enjoy.

I have learned more about people in the nine years I have been here than in all of the rest of my life. I am constantly surprised.

If we all liked the same thing we would be so boring.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We have only eaten dinner at Glenview a few times. Will try the sunday brunch at some point. The steak and baked potato excellent. On our last visit had the beef stroganoff. It was outstanding and a good size serving.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

We love Glenview for lunch and have never had a bad meal.
I agree with Joe that I probably would have accepted it and moved on.
Having said that the reaction of the waitress and manager were unacceptable.
Many restaurants will not serve hamburger that is not cooked at least medium well because of the threat of salmonella. For that reason I seldom order hamburgers out.
Try the fish sandwich, it is the best in The Villages!

Tags
onions, burger, back, grilled, medium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.