Glenview has a Nice View, but.....

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default call me crazy but...

I think restaurants must not serve hamburger less cooked than medium, at least this was true in nc.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Sage

That was true in NC, also you could not get a good drink in NC with their stupid ABC laws, liquor &wine in NC is at least 30% higher than FL
Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I think restaurants must not serve hamburger less cooked than medium, at least this was true in nc.
Not true, if a restaurant in NC uses fresh ground beef that they grind themselves they can serve at any temperature
Old 08-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
That was true in NC, also you could not get a good drink in NC with their stupid ABC laws, liquor &wine in NC is at least 30% higher than FL
Yes, prices are higher but I know of many places in NC where you can get a great drink
Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Glenview used to be one of my favorite places for a burger. Until I had a similar experience with myself and a friend. We went on a Sat. and tried to order our burgers med. rare. We had to beg for medium and were told they will probably be more like well done. I told my server I will pay regular price for med rare and be happy to wait for it to be prepared, my friend opted for the burger special. His burger was burned to a crisp and so dry he couldn't eat it. Mine was dry and cooked medium. Having owned and operated 5 burger restaurants in Ohio this is simply a case of laziness and poor management. These burgers were cooked hours ahead and sit around drying out, then thrown back on the flat top to further cook to warm them, thus drying them out more. Yuck!!! Cooking burgers to order is not rocket science and the customer deserves a freshly cooked meal. I will be getting my burgers at a restaurant that a least somewhat is interested in food quality. It is a shame as it is a beautiful restaurant.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Sage

We lived in Cary, you could get great drinks @ AN,The Umstead, Ruth Chris & Bonefish Grill--most bars were restricted to the volume of alcohol--in eastern NC it was almost impossible to get a martinis that didn't look like a cordial
Old 08-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
We lived in Cary, you could get great drinks @ AN,The Umstead, Ruth Chris & Bonefish Grill--most bars were restricted to the volume of alcohol--in eastern NC it was almost impossible to get a martinis that didn't look like a cordial
What are you talking about ? I live in Cary and have lived there for almost 25 years. What do you mean most bars are restricted to the volume of alcohol ? I can't speak for eastern NC as I never really go there/ I own beachfront property in SC
Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Sage

The ABC restricts the amount of a pour--in eastern NC, you can't legally get a double--you can't have a martini with 1 oz of vodka or gin
Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Given the potential liability regarding illnesses of serving under-cooked meat, I can see where a restaurant might choose to only serve at least medium cooked hamburger.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesare View Post
Glenview used to be one of my favorite places for a burger. Until I had a similar experience with myself and a friend. We went on a Sat. and tried to order our burgers med. rare. We had to beg for medium and were told they will probably be more like well done. I told my server I will pay regular price for med rare and be happy to wait for it to be prepared, my friend opted for the burger special. His burger was burned to a crisp and so dry he couldn't eat it. Mine was dry and cooked medium. Having owned and operated 5 burger restaurants in Ohio this is simply a case of laziness and poor management. These burgers were cooked hours ahead and sit around drying out, then thrown back on the flat top to further cook to warm them, thus drying them out more. Yuck!!! Cooking burgers to order is not rocket science and the customer deserves a freshly cooked meal. I will be getting my burgers at a restaurant that a least somewhat is interested in food quality. It is a shame as it is a beautiful restaurant.
with the voice of experience!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesare View Post
Glenview used to be one of my favorite places for a burger. Until I had a similar experience with myself and a friend. We went on a Sat. and tried to order our burgers med. rare. We had to beg for medium and were told they will probably be more like well done. I told my server I will pay regular price for med rare and be happy to wait for it to be prepared, my friend opted for the burger special. His burger was burned to a crisp and so dry he couldn't eat it. Mine was dry and cooked medium. Having owned and operated 5 burger restaurants in Ohio this is simply a case of laziness and poor management. These burgers were cooked hours ahead and sit around d rying out, then thrown back on the flat top to further cook to warm them, thus drying them out more. Yuck!!! Cooking burgers to order is not rocket science and the customer deserves a freshly cooked meal. I will be getting my burgers at a restaurant that a least somewhat is interested in food quality. It is a shame as it is a beautiful restaurant.
To quote one our other posters - "what did the manager say?"

If you did not speak up first to the server and then to the manager, they do not realize there is a problem. Chances are if you had spoken up, the situation would have been remedied.

Personally, I have never been disappointed at Glenview.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 AM

The $8.49 burger WAS AND IS ON THE MENU. I am SOMEBODY and I know how to order from a menu. I am paying for my meal. I am paying a premium for my burger to have it COOKED RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. If I want well done fries, so be it.
The server said, "If you want med-rare, you can get that by ordering the $8.49 meal."
I saw that as a solution to the problem, so, I jumped at the chance. Asking for COOKED onions that were offered on the menu.
I held up my part of the bargain.
THEY DID NOT!
Restaurants that cannot cook a burger and onions to order is in deep sneakers.
They say, "COOKED TO ORDER" but they don't mean it. I have zero intentions to 'pick the onions off' as this is all I wanted ON the burger. Come on, now.
Shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about folks as your broom may not be large enough to handle the job.
I slung hash for years. LOVED that job.
After that, I slung medications, bedpans and chemo. LOVED THAT JOB.
Let's apply the settle for what you got and be happy with it. You think this is a restaurant? Whaddya mean you want your chemo dose done right? It's close enough. Get over it.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:15 AM

OP here. Not terribly worked up; just tired of having a menu to choose from, asked for MR as "cooked to order" instructed and asked for WELL DONE onions. Doesn't take up loads of space on a griddle. Burgers are BBQ'd. Small matter. Was not the first, second or fourth time my tongue was to be bitten. It was, however, the last time. Waited tables for waaaayyy too long to pay a premium to get it cooked to my liking and they could not do it. Thanks for getting what I meant. PS: I have not been back. Not even a double dog dare can get me back.
All the best...
Closed Thread

Tags
onions, burger, back, grilled, medium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.