Good Chinese Restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Default Good Chinese Restaurant?

So many great restaurants in The Villages but I can't seem to find a good Chinese one. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Cheng's in front of Walmart on 466 is really good. There is seating and booths, and they serve beer and wine. Portions are large with many meals to choose from. When four of us go there we share the platters for a fun variety.

As far as buffets go Evergreen in Pinellas Plaza is good.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

There are n really vs Chinese Restaurant s here. Tried them all. Fried rice is not supposed to be mush! Bamboo Bistro is the best of a poor lot.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If you're from a city with a good Chinatown, you're not going to find a "good" Chinese restaurant. If you're not as spoiled, Evergreen isn't bad. Ditto the one in Colony (owned by the same folks as Evergreen).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregan@choosegar.com View Post
...I can't seem to find a good Chinese one. Any suggestions?
Okay, not Chinese, but give the Thai restaurant in Sumter a try. We have had several good meals there. Just remember to ask for "spicy" if that's your taste.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If you're from a city with a good Chinatown, you're not going to find a "good" Chinese restaurant. If you're not as spoiled, Evergreen isn't bad. Ditto the one in Colony (owned by the same folks as Evergreen).
Absolutely dreadful Chinese food here. We always wait until we go back North to get our Chinese fix!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

KOYAME

Best we have found.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The quality and style in particular of Chinese food is very dependent on where you come from. I'm from Boston and have eaten Chinese food in many of the major cities in the US. It is all very different. If you're from New York, you probably won't like the Chinese food in San Francisco which many people say is the best. People from Boston don't like the same Chinese food that New Yorkers like.

And then when you get outside of this country is another whole world. What we call Chinese food is nothing like what they eat in China. I went to several Chinese restaurants in The Philippines and it is completely different over there. If you order Chow Mein it's basically soft noodles with this horrible brown sauce.

You have to try around and see what you like. Koyame is very good and as far as buffets go, Evergreen is excellent.

It's the same with Thai food as well. If you eat Thai food in Thailand, it's nothing like what is served over here. In the US Thai food is loaded with sugar. There is very little sweet taste in Thailand.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum member

I like Chengs. Not as good as back home, but still good. Evergreen buffet is good.....however be aware that they use MSG (Monosodium glutamate) in most dishes. I learned the hard way. I was told 3 times by the waitress that NO MSG is used. When I saw the owner (after I ate ) I confirmed with her that no MSG was used.......well, turns out it is. They even brought out the container for the base with the ingredients that is used in most dishes. ( the waitress didn't know that Monosodium glutomate is MSG ), and pointing to the first ingredient which was Monosodium glutamate , declared it was MSG free. I have severe allergy and was Ill for 2 days......I know, my fault....I should have known better. I seldom eat out because it is used in nearly everything.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Okay, not Chinese, but give the Thai restaurant in Sumter a try. We have had several good meals there. Just remember to ask for "spicy" if that's your taste.

I also like the Thai restaurant in Sumter when I want something exotic in a quiet restaurant. I like the atmosphere and being waited on by gracious servers. It feels special there.

That's how I remember it but it has been a little while.

Have you tried Yelp? click here

Has anyone tried the Royal Orchid in Ocala? high ratings from UrbanSpoon, Yelp, Google+
Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Platinum member

We're from Boston area and find that the Japanese restaurant in Spruce Creek Plaza on 441 is good. If you go before 6pm it's $13.95 for soup, salad, noodle course, fried rice, chicken and beef and shrimp (or you can pick 2 out of 3 meats or all 1). It's served hibachi style seating 8 at each table and the chefs interact with guests. I find this is the rice closest to what we are used to. We like Bamboo Bistro also. I can't stand the yellow rice they serve in FL as fried rice and haven't seen a chicken finger in 4 years.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

China Max near Five Guys in Rolling Acres plaza is best I've had....
Sorry folks, I really didn't like Evergreen at all and will not be back. Beside Chinese food should be done "buffet".
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
So many great restaurants in The Villages but I can't seem to find a good Chinese one. Any suggestions?
KOYAME! Head and Shoulders above any others in this area.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
KOYAME! Far better than any other in the area
Old 08-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Eternal Member

I am happy with Shang Hai in Mulberry. They have a large selection and a number of hot and spicy foods. I have never been disappointed.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.