Good Fried Fish Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Default Good Fried Fish Restaurant

My husband and I lived in Ohio where they had restaurants that served Friday fried fish dinners. Is there anyplace near The Villages that have a good fried fish dinner that you don't pay a fortune for? We would appreciate any recommendations.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
My husband and I lived in Ohio where they had restaurants that served Friday fried fish dinners. Is there anyplace near The Villages that have a good fried fish dinner that you don't pay a fortune for? We would appreciate any recommendations.
We often visit Athens NY Restaurant in SS. They carry over a Rochester, NY tradition of Fried Haddock on Friday nights.

Skip
Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

There's Sam St John's in the Spruce Creek shopping area off 441. I had two very good meals there, and the prices were good. Lots of fried fish items, and excellent cheese grits.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 PM

I agree with Skip. There is nothing like the fish fry from Athens. Being from Rochester we are very picky about our fish fry and eating at Athens is like eating at home (plus they have Zweigles Hots).
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Smile

Lighthouse at Sumter Landing - their haddock is excellent and reasonably priced. And you can actually get in there now that snowbirds are gone.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
I agree with Skip. There is nothing like the fish fry from Athens. Being from Rochester we are very picky about our fish fry and eating at Athens is like eating at home (plus they have Zweigles Hots).
Me too....can't beat a Rochester Fish Fry on Friday nights. And, Zweigle's Hot Dogs are the best (Athens will sell them to you buy the package)!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
And beef on weck!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And beef on weck!
That's a Buffalo thing, not Rochester. LOL.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Platinum member

Our favorite for fish is Gator Joes! Their fish basket is their number one seller. About $10. Cracker Barrell also has a good fish fry on Friday. You choose cod or catfish. Around $10
Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Hacianda's on Fridays has great fresh fish and chips
Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

You may have to try several to find one that meets your particular idea of good fried fish. I'm from Michigan originally, where we use a flour batter when deep-frying seafood. I've spent the last 16+ years on North Carolina, where the batter is based on corn meal (and is referred to as "Calabash style"). We had a local restaurant that served "New England Style", which uses bread crumbs. I've also had deep-fried fish that used Panko-style bread crumbs. And then you've got the issue of fresh-water vs. salt-water fish. In Michigan, we mostly did fresh-water fish, like perch or walleye. In the Carolinas, it's mostly salt-water, like cod, flounder, grouper and the like.

I have tried The Lighthouse and both the wife and I liked it (other than there being too much food per serving; we'll be splitting dinners in the future!). Since we've only bought a house there and not yet moved to TV, we haven't tried the others recommended. I am looking forward to trying them all, though!

You may not find anything exactly like you had "back home". But if you're like me, you'll probably find lots of new things to like. I don't know if I've found too many types of deep-fried seafood that I didn't like! Like I tell my friends when they ask if I like sushi, "You bet!, At least, if you batter-dip it and deep fry it!"
Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM

We have had great fish in all those places mentioned above. My favorite is SAMs St. John's Seafood on 441 across from Walmart. It's in a strip shopping center -easy to miss unless you know where to look! Everything there is wonderful and the cheese grits and cole slaw are both exceptional! We eat lots of wood-grilled fish, and their grilled Aladkan pollack ( wild-caught) is exceptional. Their fried fish is also heavenly, but diet steers me to the grilled for day in and day out.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM

We always enjoy the fish fry at Bonifay...any day of the week! Actually, you get so much that my husband and I have shared one dinner and just ordered an extra side of steamed veggies. Delicious!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Sage

Actually the fried whitefish sandwich at Cane garden is exceptional. It is a huge piece of fish on a roll. I never eat the roll as the piece of fish is so huge. It reminds me of what you get at the Lighthouse. Batter fried. No fishy flavor at all.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Default I agree with Cane Garden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Actually the fried whitefish sandwich at Cane garden is exceptional. It is a huge piece of fish on a roll. I never eat the roll as the piece of fish is so huge. It reminds me of what you get at the Lighthouse. Batter fried. No fishy flavor at all.
I agree with you jnieman. That Whitefish Sandwich at Cane Garden is absolutely AWESOME and HUGE! My wife and I share this meal and we are both full when done. We have ordered it 3 times now and it is consistently huge and tastes GREAT! Now you got me wanting one! Looks like a trip to Cane Garden is in order!
Closed Thread

Tags
fish, fried, good, dinner, villages, pay, recommendations, anyplace, fortune, dinners, lived, husband, restaurant, ohio, friday, served, restaurants

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.