Guy Fieri Makes His Entrance

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Guy Fieri Makes His Entrance

The Daily Sun reported that Guy Fieri of triple D fame is going to open a restaurant down at Lake Sumter Landing next to Barnes and Noble.

I predict people will have to enter a lottery in order just to get a seat in the place.

I predict because Fieri has entered the market, competition is going to heat up and other prominent restaurants are going to be drawn to The Villages.

I predict that we have one poster who will reason out loud whether the cheap skate residents will pay Fieri's prices
Old 04-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Lottery YES
Better restaurants YES
Let's hope fire is very hot for competition
There is already complaining about not paying his high prices. So Done
Old 04-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Platinum member

How exciting for us. Even though it will probably be a licensing deal (see Guy Fieri - Wikipedia) he has a reputation to protect so the restaurant should be presenting food at a rather high level. I certainly will be someone on line (or buying that "lottery ticket") to get a seat at his table.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news.

Last edited by BK001; 04-16-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran member
Default Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The Daily Sun reported that Guy Fieri of triple D fame is going to open a restaurant down at Lake Sumter Landing next to Barnes and Noble.

I predict people will have to enter a lottery in order just to get a seat in the place.

I predict because Fieri has entered the market, competition is going to heat up and other prominent restaurants are going to be drawn to The Villages.

I predict that we have one poster who will reason out loud whether the cheap skate residents will pay Fieri's prices

So, now we know the location is Whisky John's. I wonder if the Whisky John's operators are merely buying into the franchise, or if this a wholly new offering. After all, the news report says the turn-around on the site will take a relatively brief time.

As for this new choice attracting more restaurants to TV, I'll be happy if the competition just spurs the current ones to improve -- the country clubs in particular.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:35 PM

One of my favorite reviews of all time;

Restaurant Review: Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square - The New York Times
Old 04-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Honest Johns
Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 PM

New owners. Honest John's people are out of the picture. The staff was offered jobs if they wanted to wait. The girl we had Thursday was a single mom and needed to look elsewhere. Hope this does open up other options!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:50 PM

Sadly, the NY City location of his is failing. Here's hoping. I find him to be very swift.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop View Post
That review is about 5 years old. I expect (hope) things have improved. We'll find out in about a month.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I suspect Guy gets a licensing fee and his corporation does the policing. If he shows up it will be because the group that licensed his brand will pay him an appearance fee. I suspect the only thing he knows (or cares) about what goes on here is what he gets from his business development group. We would love to think that he does all the decision making and research by himself but it's not likely.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-16-2017, 05:22 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Let's hope that Fieri has input into the menu and the menu resembles some of what we see on Drive-in Diners and Dives. For some of us given the large portions offered on Triple D we could go there order lunch and take home dinner and perhaps a later snack
Old 04-16-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
That review is about 5 years old. I expect (hope) things have improved. We'll find out in about a month.
Guy Fieri’s American Kitchen - American (New) - 1905 Hotel Plaza Blvd., Disney World, Orlando, FL - Restaurant Reviews - Yelp

Here are some more recent reviews from the Orlando location.

"It’s funny that Fieri, who has now licensed his name to everything from sugary barbecue sauces to brownie-themed K-cups, is now asking fans to “be realistic.” By saying he’s just the chef who writes recipes and has no command over the actual cooks in the kitchen — the ones presumably responsible for all that bad food — Fieri’s adding a rare, party-pooper note to his perpetually festive enterprise. It’s kind of strange." (grub-street review/interview)

While I wish any new venture to success..... Let's keep things in perspective that this is not exactly the Holy Grail of restaurants and I, for one, am not getting my hopes up...
It is not likely a poorly rated tourist chain restaurant, akin to an overpriced Chili's, is going to change the dining landscape of The Villages. If New York City and Orlando get such poor reviews, with their bottomless labors pools and resources, how do you think it will do here?
The truth is, this venture will be the same management, cooks, servers, bartenders, food, and service as we have always had, now with an inflated price tag because the owners are paying The Villages rent rates AND a celebrity endorsement. Like Guy said in the above interview, he just writes and sells the recipes and sells his name.. Not involved in executing the dishes and service to success...

More will be revealed
Old 04-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
So, now we know the location is Whisky John's. I wonder if the Whisky John's operators are merely buying into the franchise, or if this a wholly new offering. After all, the news report says the turn-around on the site will take a relatively brief time.

As for this new choice attracting more restaurants to TV, I'll be happy if the competition just spurs the current ones to improve -- the country clubs in particular.
It was Honest John's. There is a new owner. The new owner has been involved somewhat with Honest John's and is friends with the previous owners. This will be a licensing agreement with Guy.
Some staff is staying, but there will be some new management.
They'll be doing some slight remodeling, they will set up the kitchen so it's effective for the new menu and, of course, will be spending time with training.
They say hopefully 2 - 3 weeks, but that we'll just have to wait & see.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 AM

Seems that location in Lake Sumter Landing has been the site of at least two different restaurants. Not sure that on a regular basis the restaurant would generate normal "eat out" traffic, but might be a special occasion go to place. The Villages might do well with more restaurants like Pollo Tropical and Boston Market that for some strange reason are not in immediate surrounding areas.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chimneys View Post
Seems that location in Lake Sumter Landing has been the site of at least two different restaurants. Not sure that on a regular basis the restaurant would generate normal "eat out" traffic, but might be a special occasion go to place. The Villages might do well with more restaurants like Pollo Tropical and Boston Market that for some strange reason are not in immediate surrounding areas.
I will send Boston Market an e-mail about why there are not in the Villages' area. Rotisserie Chicken & Local Catering - Boston Market

Contact Us - Boston Market
Closed Thread

Tags
fieri, predict, guy, entered, prominent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.