Hacienda Hills - Rip off of major proportions

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Default Hacienda Hills - Rip off of major proportions

Had lunch after a game of golf at Hacienda Hills earlier today. Decided to order a bowl of soup as I was not real hungry. Asked the waitress what kinds of soup they had. Answer: Mushroom and Rice and Italian Wedding soup. I ordered a bowl of Italian Wedding soup.

After lunch I was presented a bill for $11.00 for my Arnold Palmer (Tea and Lemonade) and my Bowl of soup. Can't be right I said to our server. Her answer , "you ordered the Deluxe Soup" which is $7.99 a bowl instead of the $5.49 shown on the menu for a bowl of soup. My answer, but you never told me there was a difference when I ordered.

Bottom line is the menu does say "Deluxe Soup" $7.99 but made no mention, nor did the server of what the Deluxe Soup was. Elected not to debate the point with the Manager as anyone who would allow such a devious practice is not worth wasting my time on.

By the way, the Italian Wedding Soup was kind of watery and not very good.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Sage

Similar to what happened to my wife two weeks ago at Cattle Baron.

Waitress asked what 2 sides she wanted and was told the options. She decided to get the asparagus and asked if she could have it for both she sides and was told she could.

When we got the bill there was an up charge of $2.50 for the asparagus - twice.

The up charge was on the menu that the waitress failed to point out or mention.

At least you only had to pay the additional $2.50 once at Hacienda.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
Had lunch after a game of golf at Hacienda Hills earlier today. Decided to order a bowl of soup as I was not real hungry. Asked the waitress what kinds of soup they had. Answer: Mushroom and Rice and Italian Wedding soup. I ordered a bowl of Italian Wedding soup.

After lunch I was presented a bill for $11.00 for my Arnold Palmer (Tea and Lemonade) and my Bowl of soup. Can't be right I said to our server. Her answer , "you ordered the Deluxe Soup" which is $7.99 a bowl instead of the $5.49 shown on the menu for a bowl of soup. My answer, but you never told me there was a difference when I ordered.

Bottom line is the menu does say "Deluxe Soup" $7.99 but made no mention, nor did the server of what the Deluxe Soup was. Elected not to debate the point with the Manager as anyone who would allow such a devious practice is not worth wasting my time on.

The waitress should have explained the difference between a normal bowl of soup for $5.49 and a deluxe bowl of soup for $8. I can see why you would find that very annoying. I wouldn't consider it " a rip off of major proportions".
Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It happens. I just learned that Boston is a foreign country. I was at Sam St John's seafood and I ordered a Sam Adams. Menu stated that domestic beer was (and I will guess as I don't recall exactly) $2.49 and imported was $3.29. When I got the bill I was charged for imported beer. I did ask the waitress and was told that Sam Adams was imported. I figured you can't fix some things, so I tipped her well and paid the bill.

Imagine my shock to learn that Boston was a foreign country. So all you folks from Boston, make sure your passport is in order.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage
Default Hacienda Hills - Rip off of major proportions

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
It happens. I just learned that Boston is a foreign country. I was at Sam St John's seafood and I ordered a Sam Adams. Menu stated that domestic beer was (and I will guess as I don't recall exactly) $2.49 and imported was $3.29. When I got the bill I was charged for imported beer. I did ask the waitress and was told that Sam Adams was imported. I figured you can't fix some things, so I tipped her well and paid the bill.

Imagine my shock to learn that Boston was a foreign country. So all you folks from Boston, make sure your passport is in order.
I'm from Boston and am frequently treated like I'm from a foreign country because of an alleged accent!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

I usually wait till I get Home and have the 4 minute sandwich and Ice tea. If the place looks expensive most likely it is. European style big on price small on proportions.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

When I was stationed in England, the Newcastle Brown Ale they sold on base was exported to the US and then imported to the UK before they sold it to us. You are right...some things can't be fixed, and some give us good anecdotes.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
When I was stationed in England, the Newcastle Brown Ale they sold on base was exported to the US and then imported to the UK before they sold it to us. You are right...some things can't be fixed, and some give us good anecdotes.
A sense of humor is the most valuable tool in this life, after a strong faith in .........let me think..............

Girl Scouts.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Sage

I was in Winn Dixie and ordered the imported provolone at the deli. They gave me The Boars Head, from Brooklyn, New York. I didn't say anything.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 AM

I eat at Hacienda once or twice a week. The food is good and reasonably priced. It is clearly stated on the menu that there are two prices for their soup. If you ordered from the menu, the waitress probably assumed you read the menu before ordering. I think I would have done the same thing.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post

A $2.50 difference hardly makes for a rip off of major proportions and I would not call it a devious business practice. I agree that the waitress should/could have made clear the price difference in the soup choices. We eat at HH quite often and have found the food excellent and that includes the soups. We did have the Italian Wedding Soup on Tuesday and found it very good.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

Waitress asked what 2 sides she wanted and was told the options. She decided to get the asparagus and asked if she could have it for both she sides and was told she could.

What do I not understand?

If the menu stated there was an extra charge for asparagus, why should the waitress mention it?
You clearly ordered from the menu so you knew they had asparagus.
Truthfully, I have never seen a menu where there wasn't an additional charge for asparagus,
unless it stated that it was one of the vegetables that came with the entree.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Eternal Member

I have eaten at several restaurants where the waitress asks me if I would like something to go with my meal. I got burnt once by saying yes and finding out that it was extra.

Now when they suggest something, I either look at the menu or I ask if that is an extra charge.

For example, there is an all in one egg breakfast at Denny's. It does not come with toast but the waitress will ask if I want toast with that. A yes answer will cost you a dollar or 2.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

But your wife did order two sides of asparagus. So you should have been charged the extra $2.50 twice.

In most restaurants, there are usually several sides that carry an extra charge. As Bonanza stated, asparagus is one of them.

My only comment is to always read the menu.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Eternal Member

I was at Hacienda Hills CC last night for dinner. EXCELLENT!!!

I had the fish and chips special and the lovely Mrs Trap enjoyed the Coconut Crusted Fish Filet with a pineapple mango chutney. Funny thing, I ordered a half pitcher of Bud Lite and she had a glass of Pinot Grigio. Both were the same price of $3.25. Not many places outside The Villages you can get those prices!

The waitress told my wife what the available sides were for the fish filet dinner. She did say if you chose another vegetable other than the specified ones that there would be an up-charge.

The food was absolutely great, the service quick, and live music beginning at 6.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.