Honest Johns

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Agree too much batter and too little fish with fish and chips. Thought they were little overpriced compared to other restaurants in The Villages.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:11 PM

We had dinner tonight at Honest Johns. I spotted the CHICKEN VESUVIO on the menu and knew this restaurant had some kind of connection to the former Pebbles restaurants popular in the 90's in downtown Orlando, Lake Buena Vista and Longwood. We had the onion rings and mushroom brie soup for appetizers. The mixed drinks (rum and coke and my Seabreeze) were perfect as they were made by Jim the former Bartender from Cattlebarons!!! My hubby had the fish and chips and OF COURSE, I had my old favorite the Chicken Vesuvio...everything was superb including the service. If you sit in a perimeter booth, the noise is OK....This is a great addition to LSL.....!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Our neighbors really enjoy this place so we wanted to try. Went for lunch, got a great table. Ordered beer and bloody Mary, delicious. Ordered chicken sandwich and a salad. Chicken was crunchy, and very strange tasting. Told waiter, and he said perhaps our piece had a membrane in the piece that I ate. Really? Sent it back, got a totally different piece of chicken after 15 minutes. Chicken sandwich $10.95, really? Paid but won't be back. Chicken was disgusting. Bloody Mary was terrific. Waiter tried but I wasn't happy. Membrane? Was I born yesterday? Oh well probably, but there was no membrane.
I had the same chicken sandwich and sent mine back also and ordered something else. I love chicken sandwiches but not those. Tasted raw.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Sage

Just got back from Honest Johns-been there about 5 times, their menu is so limited, that we are now finding it difficult to get something. They no longer have shrimp & grits & they did away with the tri-tip sandwich-- it will be quite awhile before we return--I will not go out to eat steak or rack of lamb--I do it much better @ home
Old 09-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Same experience with the chicken sandwich. Sent it back and the half sandwich brought back appeared to have been nuked. Won't be back.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Platinum member

Went to Honest John's tonight at 5:30 PM to satisfy our curiosity. Although several tables were empty they made us wait ten minutes to be seated. Beers on draft IMHO were very limited. Ordered a Goose Island IPA but the tap was dry, and settled for Guinness. Had Poutine for the first time and it was good but I don't know why they consider it an appetizer rather than in lieu of fries with an entire. We enjoyed the visit to Honest Johns but found the overall experience too noisy and the menu too limited for our taste. Prefer the offerings at Square Burger.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the "smorgasbord" of info on Honest John's...some fine "honest" tips...we haven't visited yet, our takeaway - no hurry to get there! Also: Anybody know of a good place to get real fine "Fish (haddock) & Chips" in the Villages, now that Athens is gone?

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 12-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The steaks are very good--but they're not even close to awesome-

1) They use choice meat--no way a choice cut can be awesome

2) Prime is prime-- I cooked a 2" 2.5lb pound bone in rib eye that was a "prime" cut &

honestly the only restaurant that could match it is Berns

Sear it @ 800 degrees 21/2 minutes each side -remove from grill -back to grill- when temp is 400

reduce temp to 400 degrees- when internal temp reaches 120-remove & tent the steak under foil with butter on top

Best steak in the Villages
My mouth is watering. Let me know next time you grill up a rib eye and I'll be over. :-)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
Wear ear plugs. It's the noisiest joint I've ever been to. Anyone who says otherwise is surely deaf. Food was OK. Nothing to go crazy for.
Agree 100%
Old 12-04-2015, 12:34 AM

Love Honest Johns. My husband always get there salmon and says its the best he's ever had. I always get there fried chicken and its great.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Email Reported As Spam

My wife went with her group and she reported it was OK. When it comes to reviews about restaurants around here remember its all relative
Closed Thread

Tags
johns, honest, dishes, recommend, reviews

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.