Honest Johns

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts
Default Honest Johns

What has happened to Honest John, there was a time when ou had to wait to get in, the menu was robust and the staff was up beat and cheerful. We had friends visiting from PA and they remembered it from their last visit and wanted to return. We had reduced the time we spent there because the menu kept shrinking. They also remembered a sauce that was prepared for the steaks. We found the menu had shrunk even farther, no steaks on the menu and the sauce was gone. The menu was "blah". The people had no energy and seemed to be going through the motions. Even though there was no line and plenty of empty tables it took a good 10 minutes for the hostess to show up seat us. We left and went to Red Sauce which was packed with people waiting, servers had great energy and, as usual, an extensive menu and great food. So what happened to Honest John's? Since I think the ownership is the same for City Fire did they extend themselves to far with this venture? It had great potential when it opened but I no longer think that is the case.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

I had a nice lunch there last week with a group of friends. The food was good (half portobello mushroom burger and cup of soup). Place was empty but good service
Old 01-31-2017, 06:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
What has happened to Honest John, there was a time when ou had to wait to get in, the menu was robust and the staff was up beat and cheerful. We had friends visiting from PA and they remembered it from their last visit and wanted to return. We had reduced the time we spent there because the menu kept shrinking. They also remembered a sauce that was prepared for the steaks. We found the menu had shrunk even farther, no steaks on the menu and the sauce was gone. The menu was "blah". The people had no energy and seemed to be going through the motions. Even though there was no line and plenty of empty tables it took a good 10 minutes for the hostess to show up seat us. We left and went to Red Sauce which was packed with people waiting, servers had great energy and, as usual, an extensive menu and great food. So what happened to Honest John's? Since I think the ownership is the same for City Fire did they extend themselves to far with this venture? It had great potential when it opened but I no longer think that is the case.
This is a repeat story for the last 10 years of several restaurants in TV.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM
Sage

Its the height of snow bird season, if the place is empty--its saying something--the word is out--its going to sink- been stating--for awhile-that Honest John's is no longer worth a visit
Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 PM

I'm here at Honest Johns now. We sat and sat waiting for water. And for the popcorn and still hav no food. I tried to get to wave down a hostess who looked at me then kept walking. Wait! SOME food just came. Definitely not all. Probably won't be back.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Platinum member

I heard a rumor that Honest John's was going to close. Does anyone know if their is any truth to that?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Sage

If a business is losing $$, they will close-- the cost of being attendant in the villages is a killer for businesses-percentage of gross sales + rent is a tough nut to break
Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If a business is losing $$, they will close-- the cost of being attendant in the villages is a killer for businesses-percentage of gross sales + rent is a tough nut to break
But many do. The owners of City Fire own Honest Johns so they know how to make it work here. This was going to be a place that would not compete for City Fire customers. We don't know their business plan but evidently it was flawed.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Sage

They didn't know the real demographics of their customer base. IMHO, people in the villages are not adventuresome for food, no entrees over $15.00 and no drinks over $5.00 unless its happy hour
Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
They didn't know the real demographics of their customer base. IMHO, people in the villages are not adventuresome for food, no entrees over $15.00 and no drinks over $5.00 unless its happy hour
Since the owner owns two other successful establishements here, one of them for years, I would think he knows the demo. I agree that people in The Villages won't suport higher end resturaunts inside and those that want a higher level will leave the bubble and find them. Honest Johns may have been an experiemt to see if he could raise the level with the understanding that it could fail. As food and service declines they may be trying to see where the bottom is and if they get there, can it make a profit. Who knows.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Rumor...Guy Fiori from the Food Network is going to open it...really
Old 04-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Sage

Will it be a diner, drive in or a dive?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 AM
Sage

Male it a "Crazy Country Club"--"Warm Beer & Lousy Food" --a Brooklyn fun joint for many years
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Platinum member

Maybe they are just running out their lease.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 AM

I heard a rumor that Honest John's has new owners in the last couple of days and that might have something to do with the issues mentioned here. Not sure but want to post what I heard.

Tags
menu, sauce, honest, great, remembered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.