Honest John's Whiskey and Provisions

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Let me get this straight.
Posters come on here and bitch that there are no new/different restaurants, just the same old thing.
Now there is going to be what appears a new and different venue. And posters come here and bitch that the menu is no good. And others bitch that its "not what I think a bar should be" or they don't have clam chowder.
I say wait and see. If it is not for you don't go there.................just don't come on here and bitch about it!
Yup!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Posters come on here and bitch that there are no new/different restaurants, just the same old thing.
Now there is going to be what appears a new and different venue. And posters come here and bitch that the menu is no good. And others bitch that its "not what I think a bar should be" or they don't have clam chowder.
I say wait and see. If it is not for you don't go there.................just don't come on here and bitch about it!
Yep, I agree. Everybody complains. It's the same restaurants in every square. I want something different ! Then something different is going in & the complaints begin when they have no clue what the menu is !!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RErmer View Post
That menu is awesome! Maybe the place here can borrow some ideas. If so, I would definitely eat there.
I have seen the menu for the new place. It's great. Lots of good food on it. I'm very excited !!!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
I wonder if there will be a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. Or darts. Or shuffleboard? Think we can sit and play cards if we want to?
Don't forget pickled pigs feet
Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Gold member
Default Can't wait to try it

We spend summers in Ohio, Columbus specifically, which is known nationally, believe it or not, as a "foodie" town. Tremendous number of good restaurants of all types. Due to partly, I think, a recent liquor law change, there are now an amazing number of what I would term "gastropubs." Casual restaurants where you can just go for a beer, glass of wine, or premium cocktail, or pair with appetizers, really good innovative salads, homemade soups or full meals.

Haven't found a bad one yet. Latest one we tried (last night) was called The Market at Italian Village. Combined craft beer or wine, cocktails, pizzas, salads, or full meals with a case of fantastic fresh and smoked meats (like prime steaks, some kind of smoked ham, etc. as well as upscale groceries like you find at Fresh Market.

Would be great if something like one of these would open in The Villages, but am looking forward to the TGIF replacement also. We do get really tired of the same old, same old in The Villages - eat out down there much less than we do up here.

Our favorites in TV are Bonefish Grill and World of Beer, looking forward to this one and also the new Tapas restaurant in Brownwood. Interested in the latest transformation at Havana also.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I wonder if there will be a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. Or darts. Or shuffleboard? Think we can sit and play cards if we want to?

THAT sounds nice, but we may have to wait for the card playing until after high season. lol.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Quote:
Bogie, My grandma used to say "some people would cry if they were hung with a new rope"
To me, happy is as happy does..
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Announced in today's Daily Sun as going into the old TGI Fridays, It will have a "Northern tavern feel." My limited and very dated experience with Northern taverns does not make this sound like a place I would want to patronize. I believe there are a few Northerners in the villages. Can some of them help manage my expectations please?
How about letting it open before you form a negative opinion?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

xke, I guess you got your expectations managed!

I'm sure it will have great appeal to many and maybe none to some. Just have to wait and see. Or listen for Bonny to tell us how she likes it. She'll be one of the first ones there, our own TOTV restaurant reviewer.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Or one of the bowling machines with the heavy puck and the pins that tilt up!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

This is the tavern I used to go to in Long Grove IL, the Village Tavern. Very rustic and a throwback to a tavern/inn look. The place was always packed.

uploadfromtaptalk1410891550739-jpg
Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Bogie Shooter, I believe your comment about the clam chowder refers to my post. I simply said that, with the northern tavern feel, it would be nice to see New England seafood on the menu. Not bitching, as you put it, just making a statement. I am extremely pleased to see a new restaurant in the area.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1tv View Post
Bogie Shooter, I believe your comment about the clam chowder refers to my post. I simply said that, with the northern tavern feel, it would be nice to see New England seafood on the menu. Not bitching, as you put it, just making a statement. I am extremely pleased to see a new restaurant in the area.
No comment.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:06 PM

This is good news. Not only is it something different as a restaurant, it also will be a nice addition to Sumter Landing.

I do not like seeing empty commercial space.

I wish them well.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a huge outdoor covered bar - City Fire has done so well with theirs and since they are owned by the same people, maybe that's in the plans.
The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.