Just had to post on Mezza Luna

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
So, the manager was unprofessional, in your opinion, in promising to reprimand the staff and was unprofessional, in your opinion, in giving you a discount? Hmm.
Giving a discount on the bill does not even come close to making up for the bad experience. He should have comped the entire bill at a minimum. I would never go there.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Mezza Luna we've been to about five times, but only for the pizza. When we find a pizza we like we'll return to that place and just order that. For Italian meals we like Giovanni's at Southern Trace between Publix and Ace Hardware. They aren't fancy and it's small, but the hostess will always bend over backwards to get you seated. The waitresses arrive quickly, as well as the salad, rolls and then the meals. Price wise, they are even cheaper than Olive Garden. I love their spaghetti with meat sauce, I guess I'm easy to please.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxman View Post
This evening 4 of us went to Mezza Luna for dinner. We were seated in a nice booth in the right hand corner of the restaurant. We were given menus when we were seated. After about 20 minutes with no service, I went to the host station and asked if we could get waited on. Soon a waitress came over and apologized even though she was loitering around our table since we got there. She took our orders and we never saw her again. Our iced tea came and they were out of Splenda. We never got bread. My soup came out lukewarm warm, but I ate it as no one ever checked on us. Our meals came by bus boy and my wife's lasagna was an ugly flat microwaved dish smothered in tomato sauce and cold. My chicken parmesan was okay, but the buttered fettuccine noodles that I requested came out instead covered in tomato sauce. Our friends ordered a pizza that was okay. I flagged down another waiter at the next table and asked him if he could please bring us some rolls and butter. He said yes, but the rolls never came. Our iced teas stood empty never to be refilled. Finally a different waiter came over and we told him of our displeasure with our service and meal. We figured he would voice our complaints to the manager in the kitchen, but no after another 10 minutes he came back and abruptly handed me both checks. I have lived on this earth for 61 years and have never had worse service in a restaurant.

I went to the bar where I saw 2 waiters just hanging around BSing and asked for the manager. He was unprofessional in my opinion as he promised to reprimand his staff and gave us a discount. Something tells me with the horrible attitude of the wait staff that its a family affair. Needless to say we will never go back to Mezza Luna.
Where are all the posters who were singing the praises of this joint after it opened. How about Bonny?
Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
Where are all the posters who were singing the praises of this joint after it opened. How about Bonny?

You don't want to get Bonny after you.

My money is on Bonny. She is the resident expert on restaurants. You just don't understand newguyintv, that not all people are lucky enough to be born in New York City and have all this expertise on food and culture. Some of us had to be born in Ohio where are mothers smacked us for saying stuff like what you just typed.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Honestly, people who go to restaurants with big groups are kidding themselves--if tables have to be put together to handle you--the establishment isn't really prepared for such a party- its extremely difficult for an average kitchen to time more than 6 meals @ once.

Turners has it right by limiting party size--if you want a big group-go to the American Legion

you can sit 20 @ one table and you'll only be able to talk with the person on either side or directly across and no one will care how loud your group is and how much you disturb other diners.
Just an FYI, we did ask to be split up into smaller tables when we made the reservation at City Fire in Brownwood just for the facts that you mentioned and to help them make it more manageable. Seems that didn't make any difference.
Not sure I appreciate your comment about going to the American Legion. This is the Villages and it's all about being able to go out and eat at places in the Villages with groups of friends. The restaurants here should be used to that by now and plan accordingly.

Last edited by YouNeverKnow; 10-25-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Gold member

I eat their quite often. I think the food is excellent,have never had a bad meal. Service has been good most of the time. I like their pizza, veal parm is very good, bar service is good. I see nothing wrong with the place.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:58 PM

We ate there once. Bad service and mediocre food. We wont be back.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
I eat their quite often. I think the food is excellent,have never had a bad meal. Service has been good most of the time. I like their pizza, veal parm is very good, bar service is good. I see nothing wrong with the place.
That's one attaboy. It takes 1000 of 'em to wipe out one aw$hit.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Callaway Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxman View Post
Although the manager was helpful, he seemed uncomfortable and out of control of the situation. Maybe it's just me because of the horrible experience previous to him addressing the problems.

I don't enjoy complaining and rarely if ever do it even after experiencing mediocre service, but this seemed to be a complete loss of control and lack of discipline on the part of all the staff not just bad service. This was an order of magnitude worse then just mediocre service.
We'll know not to go there; thx for your info on it.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Why can't we get a decent restaurant in that location?? We have to drive to get a good sub, good pizza, go to a decent chain restaurant (Bonefish) and do any shopping. I'm wishing we bought a home closer to 466. There's a ton of people in the Southern part of town with very limited facilities.
Absolutely true! Also wish there was a car wash nearby. Not a big deal, just a wish.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Mezza Luna we've been to about five times, but only for the pizza. When we find a pizza we like we'll return to that place and just order that. For Italian meals we like Giovanni's at Southern Trace between Publix and Ace Hardware. They aren't fancy and it's small, but the hostess will always bend over backwards to get you seated. The waitresses arrive quickly, as well as the salad, rolls and then the meals. Price wise, they are even cheaper than Olive Garden. I love their spaghetti with meat sauce, I guess I'm easy to please.
Giovanni's is excellent! Best Italian in TV - and it's not a chain!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 AM
Sage

Giovanni's catered a village party--way above all the so called Italian restaurants in the villages.

We'e been to Mezza Luna 4 times the straw that broke the camel's back was when my sister-in law( my wife & her are Italian) joined use for a luncheon--the food was so bad we all had a few bites, the house wine was swill--you can't fix not caring--after Luigino' s demise, they'll be the next ship to sink.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
Giovanni's is excellent! Best Italian in TV - and it's not a chain!

Do any real Italians like Carrabbas? I think it has wonderful food. The soups are really, really yummy. I have an Italian friend who is an excellent cook and she says if she feels poorly she has her husband bring home a container of soup from Carrabbas.. I love the chicken dish with lemon. I like the flavored oil that you dip your bread in.

Can someone tell us about what happened to Mezza Luna? Isn't it owned by a Villager and his son? They gutted the facility and decorated it expensively and must have had high hopes. Wonder why they seem to have given up? Never ever went to Luigino's. Have gone to the Italian restaurant in Brownwood and must have hit it lucky. I possibly don't know the difference between good and bad Italian, but certainly can figure out bad service. I love the spaghetti and meat sauce at Stavros in Leesburg. But I am not Italian. I don't see anything wrong with many chains. They seem to have perfected some dishes enough to enjoy a success wherever they open.

Sometimes it just takes time to attract good restaurants and maybe there will never be food to please some refined palates. Again I say that there was not one single home on the farmland south of 466A four years ago.

People here in The Villages seem to support restaurants with fairly good food, consistent good service and not high prices because of their "fixed incomes". I love to eat at Cane Garden. Lovely staff, enjoyable food.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-26-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do any real Italians like Carrabbas? I think it has wonderful food. The soups are just wonderful. I love the chicken dish with lemon. I like the flavored oil that you dip your bread in.
Carrabbas is as bad or worse than most Italian Restaurants in the area. The Chefs of Napoli is the best around.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:40 AM
Sage

Most of the time when a father brings a son into the business its the kiss of death for the business. The business is usually the father's baby, his money, his sweat, love and tears--now to the son--its a paycheck--he cares about the way the typical employee does.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, asked, luna, mezza, sauce, tomato, iced, table, waiter, manager, minutes, rolls, back, restaurant, staff, seated, voice, meal, complaints, figured, kitchen, refilled, teas, bring, butter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.